“Christmas in Hotel Marina”

Hotel Marina Resort Benidorm
Ranked #76 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We have just returned from Hotel Marina Benidorm, we stayed from 23rd -27th Dec 2013
I found the hotel to be friendly and the common areas were up to 4 star standard the rooms however were not 4 star, maybe 2.5 Star, clean but in need of an upgrade, although very functional TV, fridge! and plenty of elec sockets !
The Christmas Gala dinner was fabulous they pulled all the stops out, the decorations and the entertainment was fantastic, the food was good, and they did not skimp on wine and a good Cava.
The location of the hotel was perfect. Would I go back again yes I would, after all you only sleep in the rooms !

Room Tip: I would recommend go above 6th floor it's quieter
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Swimlyn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,646)

Reviewed 18 December 2013

Hotel marina is a very well placed hotel, step out of the hotel and you have a choice of bars within 50 metres, you have a short walk of just 5 mins to the beach, and a walk of 20 minutes to the old town. Our room was on the 12th floor overlooking the pool, all rooms overlook the pool area, from our balcony we could view the sea and some great sunsets. Rooms are very basic, two large beds, good size bath, shower and bathroom. All rooms have a safe to hire the safe was 25 euros and 10 euros back when you hand in the key.
The lifts are few and depending on the time on the time of day can be very busy, you could find yourself waiting up to 5/10 minutes for one.
We stayed on a half board basis.
Breakfast: not brilliant but it depends what you like, lots of choices from cooked to continental with lots of food. The food does not stay very hot for long however, there are a few microwaves dotted around so easy enough to ding your food.
Evening meal; doors open at 7.30 and stays open till 9.30. During our stay there were lots of elderly Spanish people staying here this made meal times look like a feeding frenzy at a zoo, it was very difficult to get a table and to get your hands on the food. We found the best way was to make our way down to the restaurant at 7.20 and join a small queue, as the doors opened we turned immediately to the right and sat at an empty table we then waited for about 15 minutes for the frenzy to die down then we could help ourselves. The food each evening was OK again don't expect much, there was a wide range of choices and the food was slightly hotter than the breakfasts. We bought a bottle of wine in the restaurant each evening to accompany our food, only 4 euros, if you couldn't finish the bottle you could leave it with a tag on it and collect the following evening.
Every evening had entertainment, the hotel had its regular compare and a different performer each evening, not to bad really I suppose it depends on your age.
The hotel has something called a secret garden this is also part of a bar called Luckys. We only discovered this bar on our 4th night. If you are into casinos or betting then this bar is the place for you once you understand how to make your bets and play the tables.
Would we go back? definitely, but we would probably not go in the high season I would imagine it would be very busy.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bainsey1958
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We chose this hotel because it is central to all the night life which was great ,the hotel is spotless as are the bedrooms with fresh towels every day ,the bedroom furniture needs replacing as does the pillows , the food left a lot to be desired very bland ,we stayed there for a week from the 8th of December ,the weather was really good through the day but cold at night .

Room Tip: Choose a high floor
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Having stayed in the Marina for the last two holidays to Benidorm and giving it great reviews I am disappointed to be writing a less than perfect review this time round. The day after our arrival on 18th November I opened a drawer to find it swarming with ants. I phoned down to reception who sent up a maid with a spray which she used in the drawer then cleaned it out. The following day we found ants crawling over the table underneath the mirror in the room then noticed them on the floor. I phoned reception yet again to be told that no-one was available to come up. I went down to reception to be told to go back to the room and someone would be up shortly. Waited over an hour and no-one arrived, so went back to reception yet again. Spoke with a different receptionist who asked were we on the 2nd floor by any chance? Told him no, we were on the 9th floor. He told us that the pest control men had been in that morning, but he would report it once again. I asked to be moved to another room and was told that there were no rooms available with a balcony until the following morning. We agreed to wait till then on the understanding that they would once again spray the room. We went down for dinner then back to reception to tell them we were going back upstairs for someone to come up, but they didn't seem to understand what we meant, so we left it for the night. Went down in the morning to ask to be transferred, but the girl on reception didn't understand us again, so, once again we left it. Later that night I was in the bath when I noticed ants on the walls, my grandson then started shouting ants were in the walls in the hallway. They were crawling out from the railing on the walls. I phoned reception and demanded they send someone straight up. A cleaner came yet again with her spray and sprayed some of the areas they'd been seen. A few days later we noticed them on the walls again, opened the wardrobe to find them swarming in there and over our clothes. I went straight to reception and demanded we be moved which we were no problem. We then had the upheaval of shaking out all of our clothes, repacking them and moving to the 14th floor. I was extremely upset by this point. Not once was an apology offered. I happened to mention it to the hotel rep who was horrified by our experience and angry that she hadn't been informed as they are supposed to make her aware of any problems British guests are having. She sent us up a bottle of champagne and a selection box for our grandson with a note of apology. I am still annoyed that management or their staff didn't see fit to at least say sorry. Apart from that I will say I still found the rest of the holiday enjoyable and the food was very varied and tasty, so no complaints there. One other point is that they have changed their drinks prices at the bar and do not have a price list. Last year we ordered drinks costing 6 Euros, this year the price had risen to 12. Needless to say we didn't drink in the bar again as we could get the same drinks at one of the many pubs close by at a fraction of the cost. I think the hotel needs an upgrade, we found cupboard doors hanging off the hinges and floor tiles cracked. Shame really because it's in a great location and close to all amenities.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Christine R
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Me and My wife and our Two friends stayed at this hotel the last week in september and we had a great time, the hotel was spotless and the staff were briliant, the bar staff excellent. The location of the hotel is central to all the main bars and the beach is in easy walking distance and the old town is about 15mins along the beach front I would definately recomend this hotel if you are going to Benidorm.

Room Tip: Choose a high room because it can get a bit noisey on the lower floors
Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank gedmagingo
Reviewed 20 November 2013

We go to Benidorm every November and have tried for years to get in the Marina Hotel, this year we succeeded but I wish we hadn't. Arrived at hotel and the rooms were not ready, they gave us a card with the room numbers on and asked us to return in an hour for the key card, didn't worry us too much and went and had a drink at the bar. Returned for the key and went too the room only to find someone was already in there, went back to reception where they were less than helpful and ended up being put on the 11 floor, not happy, the one and only recommendation I asked for was a low floor as do not like heights. I was not able to go on to the balcony the whole holiday. Room was basis, very cramped and not cleaned everyday as you would expect for a 4*.
We had constant problems with the key card, the food was very basic and only ate there once and the reception staff were unhelpful and rude, one gentleman on reception had my friend in tears because he was so rude to her. Will not stop here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank 424sharon67
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at Marina for some of the November festival week - the location is superb although sometimes can be noisy but it is Benidorm.

We stayed half board which was well worth the money - the food was good, however we did struggle with an exceptionally rude waitress, we understand that groups of Brits drinking and having a good time can be very tedious however there is simply no need for extreme rudeness!! We where impressed with the security my friend having once again needing to reset his key was accompanied to the room with a very handsome reception/security man to check he was who he said he was - very reassuring.

Our only complaint was the beds very hard and the pillows not much better - the rooms where spacious and offers to clean daily by staff.

We will definitely be returning maybe next November for the festival again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends