“Wonderful views.”

GreenLeadersGold level
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, United Kingdom
“Wonderful views.”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Food was average.awkward location, but easy access with frequent buses.pool a bit 2 small 4 size of hotel considering the apartments nxt door can use it too.staff helpfull &friendly. Hire a mobility scooter, make life a lot easier then.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dazza63
Dear "Dazza63"

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed our services and the friendliness of our staff. We hope to see you here again on your next holiday.

HOTEL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We are at the Palm Beach now, we arrived on Saturday worrying about what to expect after some of the reviews on here, but the hotel is great! The staff are lovely if you talk to them properly, we requested extra pillows, they were delivered almost immediately, asked for help with buses extra & they were really helpful!

Trust me, I'm really fussy when it comes to hotels, especially cleanliness, to the point that my husband dreads me putting the key in the door when we first arrive, but there was nothing to worry about this time, the room is really clean, the maid comes in every day & yes she does clean, make the beds & change the towels! Ok, it's not the biggest room for 2 adults & 1 teenager, but it's fine for the time we spend in it! As long as its clean I'm not bothered about size!

The food is great, my husband is really fussy, but so far we've had a lovely choice of food, plenty of choice of meat, roast, mashed potatoes, rice or chips at most meals, veg & even decent gravy which you don't always get! Plenty of salad, cold meats etc. the deserts are a bit repetitive, but the fruit is lovely & there's also ice cream, yogurts etc. Breakfast is good to, my hubby has had bacon for the first time abroad in the 19 years we've been together, English sausages, etc, even chips & chicken nuggets if you want them.

The pool is good, the life guard is great he stops people reserving sun beds for more than 30 minutes, if they don't come back then he removes their towels so that someone who wants to actually sit on a sun bed can, instead of people reserving them early morning & then not coming back until dinner time!

All in all a very good 3* +, not quite a 4*, but great for what you've paid, you can't pay for a Holiday Inn & expect the Hilton!

Honestly if the hotel was as bad as people were saying I would tell you, as I don't pull any punches! If you've booked then look forward to your holiday & enjoy it as much as we are!

Room Tip: We are on the ninth floor (926) and the view is great!
14 Thank Julie S
Dear "Julie S"

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us and all readers of Trip Advisor. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday fully and appreciated the services and installations that the Hotel Palm Beach offers. We hope we will see you here again on your next holiday

Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I do not know where to begin with this absolute nightmare of a 'hotel'.

We stayed from 28/06 - 12/07. Worst 2 weeks ever. We were a group of 13, four couples with five children, with the ages of the children varying from 2 to 6. We arrived on the Friday around lunchtime and were impressed by what we were initially greeted with. The large reception area is very grand and gives a good first impression of the place. One of the rooms wasnt ready but that was sorted quite quickly. All good.

However on the first evening a few things became apparent. The outdoor seating area did not have anywhere near enough seats to accomodate all the guests, meaning many had to sit inside, which is not exactly what you want when you're abroad and the mercury is still registering 25+ degrees after 10pm. We were lucky enough to get a table next to the childrens playground so we could watch the kids. The kids playground is really too small considering the amount of kids that will be potentially staying in the Palm Beach and Don Jorge. (The amount of guests staying, you will find is a recurring theme in this review but I'll return to that later). As well as being way too small, its also quite dangerous. There is missing floor mat/tiles everywhere meaning kids are falling and tripping all the time. As well as this, there is a large metal table tennis table in the corner with large nasty looking metal corners. How some kid has never sliced their head open on it I'll never know.

Surprisingly, the kids playground isnt the biggest worry to your childs or your health on that side of the hotel. Oh no. Next to the playground is a 5-a-side sized football pitch. Three sides of it is gated off. However the side they have neglected to fence off, yes youve guessed it, is the side where all the guests sit on an evening. This footbal pitch gets absolutely rammed with kids at night with 2 or 3 games being played simultaneously. I lost count of the amount of times in a fortnight, a massive leather football smashed into the tables where people and kids of all ages were sat trying to enjoy their evening. And if the balls arent flying towards peoples tables full of drinks/phones/camers etc, theyre flying into the playground next door hitting small kids.

The whole set-up of this part of the complex beggars belief. I brought up the issue twice. Once with reception amd once with one of the 'Animacion' team. I was told on both occasions that it would be passed onto the manager. Either the manager ignored the clear problem, or he wasnt told at all. Based on everything else that happened during our stay, neither would surprise me.

After 2 days at the hotel, a number of our group started becoming sick. Over the fortnight, 12 of the 13 suffered some sort of illness. The majority of the issues occurred between day 3 and day 10 and it mainly consisted of sickness and diarrhoea. It was absolutely horrendous. (My wife is still suffering from it, resulting in the fact we are currently waiting on test results from the GP back in the UK). It got so bad, we were fearful of feeding our own children the food in the place. We werent the only ones. During the first week, I lost count of the amount of people leaving the dining room with trays of food (mostly fruit) and taking them up the rooms for people who were too ill to come down. I seen and heard all this as when we did dare venture into the dining room, we used to sit next to the entrance.

We spoke to our rep about this who claimed the hotel was aware but it was allegedly "...an airborne virus brought over from the UK...". Now this would be virtually impossible to prove. It basically sounded like the hotel passing the buck and deflecting any possible blame from themselves. Plus, if they knew of this, and knew the cause, then they were clearly fully aware that there was major health problems at the hotel. Were we informed of this at any point? Obviously not. And believe me the issue was a big one. The amount of people we spoke to in and around the hotel/bar/pool who stated one/some/all of their group had suffered sickness/diarrhoea problems, was staggering. It probably explained why it was fairly easy to get a place around the pool during our first week.

Ah yes, the pool. The pool, the pool, the pool. If it was just for use of the guests of Palm Beach then it may just be about big enough. However, as with everything else, the pool has to accomodate the Don Jorge residents so it can get massively overcrowded, especially the actual pool itself. During our stay, the pool had to be closed on SEVEN consecutive days. Every time due to the fact a child had defecated in th pool. On the first day that it happened, it was our party that noticed the baby pool had suddenly become filled with faeces. Our kids were obviously removed immediately. The 'lifeguard' was informed immediately by one of our group. When he eventually dragged himself away from end of the bar, where he spent the entirety of his days, he casually strolled over with a large net. Now there was nothing dividing the baby and adult pool apart from a metal rail, so the faeces in the pool was drifting into the adult pool by now, and aqua aerobics had just started so it was extremely busy, and this is done immediately next to the baby pool. We pointed this out to the 'lifeguard', however we were simply ignored. In the end, WE had to inform everyone doing the aqua aerobics what had happened. One of the 'Animacion' team spotted what was going on and sorted it eventually but the legth of time it took to evacuate the pool was really quite worrying.

Now I've been holidaying abroad for over 20 years, and never have I stayed in a hotel where somebody has defecated in the pool. Here, it happened SEVEN DAYS IN A ROW. Now anybody with half a brain, you would think, would notice that there was an issue after two consecutive days. Yet it had to happen 5 days in a row before the hotel did anything. After 5 days they put small posters in the lift reminding guests that kids that were not toilet trained had to wear swimming nappies. It just wasnt good enough. After 2 days notes shouldve been posted under each door of each room stating the seriousness and potential ramifications of letting your child use the pool as a toilet. Plus, if the joke of a 'lifeguard' had actually bothered to drag himself away from the end of the bar during those first days, then maybe he could've spotted the culprit and the guests of the hotel wouldnt have had to endure SEVEN days where the pool was closed.

In that sort of heat, having no pool means you have to find an alternative ways of cooling off. The majority of the time, our group had to leave the hotel. This obviously means losing the benefits of the all inclusive that we all paid (A LOT) for. Collectively, between the 13 of us, over the SEVEN DAYS that the pool had to be closed, we worked out that between us we spent well over 500 pounds on things such as food, drink, ice creams, beds at the beach etc. All of which could have been avoided had the hotel acted much more swiftly and professionally. I'd expect it from a 2* hotel so it should be second nature for an alleged 4* establishment.

The food was ok. When we felt it was safe to eat. There was a fairly decent selection, meats, cold meats, cheeses, salads, paellas most nights which was a nice touch. The breakfast was the best meal of the day. The bacon, eggs, sausages were all spot on. However, yet again the overspill from the Don Jorge really takes the shine off it. The evening meal for example, unless you are at the doors waiting for it to open, you can virtually guarantee you'll be queuing and the queues can be lonnnnnnnnng. Near the end of the holiday a number of youth football teams descended on the hotel and for two consecutive nights the queue at the dining room was near enough 100 people. It was absolutely farcical. It wasnt even a queue it was just bodies everywhere. On both nights we ate out because we werent willing to queue for over half an hour, plus I dont think our two year old would've queued that long either.

The rooms are REALLY small. We had 3 suitcases and there was nowhere to store them. The beds were too low for them to slide under. The wardrobes werent deep enough to put them in either. So one had to live on the balcony, one on one of the desks, and one stood up at the side of the bed which made a really small room feel even smaller. Honestly, its incredibly cramped in there. You can tell how small the rooms are by the length of the beds. I'm 5'11 and my feet hung off the end of the bed when I was lay down. If you are 6'2 or above, prepare yourself for an uncomfortable stay. The sheets were changed just twice in the two weeks we were there which is an absolute disgrace. A female member of our party pointed out that she had smudged make-up on a pillow from the night before. Nothing major, just a pillow case change would have sufficed. Instead the maid simply turned the pillow over. What was also bizarre with the maids, there is a sticker on the wall of the bathrooms stating that if you leave towels in the bath, they will be replaced. Either this rule no longer exists or the maids simply cant be bothered because the majority of the time they were simply placed back on the rail in the bathroom.

I genuinely wouldnt wish this place on my worst enemy. There is no way on Gods green earth that it is anywhere near worthy of a 4* rating. I'd honestly put it at 2* and that would be generous. I think the hotels main issues revolve around the fact that it just cannot accomodate two hotels. When the Palm Becah was built, the pool, the seating areas, the dining rooms etc were all built to accomodate a full hotel suitably. It doesnt take a genius to figure out that when you bring the Don Jorge into the equation, and it is a BIG hotel, then the place simply cannot handle those numbers. We werent there in the peak season/summer holidays, so I can only imagine how chaotic the communal areas are going to be in the coming weeks, It seems the owners are trying to make as much money as they can by booking in as many people as possible by using two seperate hotels, when the communal areas were only built to accomodate one. Outrageous really.

If somebody was to offer me 2 weeks there next year, flights/accomodation all free, I'd turn it down in a heartbeat. I've stayed in around 10/12 hotels over the years in Benidorm. Each and every one had its good points and bad points. Only one other would I not return to, but Palm Beach is quite honestly the worst hotel I've ever stayed in, whether it be Benidorm, Majorca, Cyprus, Greece or anywhere else. Seriously, if you have the option to swap hotels prior to leaving, try and organise it because the place is cramped, dirty, dangerous and just an utter shambles. I'd compare it to Fawlty Towers but that would be unfair on Basil. An utter utter disgrace. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Zangief1878
Javier G, Gerente at Palm Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear "Zangief1878"

The facilities and kids facilities are audited on a regular basis and meet all safety criteria both within Spain and the UK. We have taken you points on board and will review the content of your comments and where possible will make suitable changes. It is unfortunate that during your stay we had a couple of instances of 'minors' having accidents within the pool, we do take our safety responsibilities very seriously and as per Health & Safety recommendations we closed the pool until all recommended hygiene tests and cleaning regimes had been implemented and completed.
All Hotels in Benidorm and throughout Spain have every stringent Government Safety Hygiene guidelines for food, safety audits are completed both internally and by externally registered agencies to ensure that absolutely all food served within our complexes are free from any type of risk. We have no evidence to support the comments you have made within you letter.

It is unfortunate that our hotel didn’t meet you personal requirements and for this we apologise, however we do believe that that majority of the comments are without foundation, however we value all guests’ comments and we assure you that the content of your letter will be fully investigated.

Best regards
HOTEL MANAGER

Travellers are raving about these Benidorm hotels

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed 28 June 12 July, omg what a joke, the pool was closed 7 days due to kids pooping in the pool due to a sickness bug that the jet 2 rep said came from the uk, the first day they closed the pool because I went mad and demanded they did so, they were just going to scoop it out, the pool entertainment guy was the only one willing to listen, the rooms DO NOT get cleaned, they just make your bed, I had mascara on the pillow for a week before they changed them, there was sick in the bins in the ladies, in our-party there were 8 adults 4 kids 4 to 7 an a 2 yr old, all but 2 were ill an I mean ILL, we asked to be moved but jet 2 refused unless we paid, this hotel needs a good clean very disappointed. On our last week there was 3-4 rooms above our room full of Spanish hooligans shouting, banging about in their rooms and jumping to each others balcony till about 3am, not what you need when your 5yr old is to scared to go to sleep, in all honesty an absolute shocking example of a 4* hotel, would strongly advise anyone to avoid this hotel !!!!.

• Stayed June 2013
4 Thank Brodie13
Dear "Brodie13"

We are sorry if you were ill during your holiday and could not enjoy it, please note though that your rep were right in that there was a bug going around at that time in many hotels in Benidorm, and we are really sorry that because of this you had a bad experience.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

myself, my partner and our 2 year old son stayed at the hotel palm beach from 6/7/2013 - 13/7/2013.
The main annoyance when we arrived was the fact when booking we were told this hotel was on a "slight" hill, yes that may be true if your chris froome. Check in was efficient enough, where we received a list of the free buses they supply one to the beach, one to the town and another to mundamar, which I have to agree with others are fantastic when the actually turn up. Which if I'm honest wasn't often and we would end up walking down to the beach and getting a taxi back.
3 out of the seven days we were there, a child had poo'd in the pool causing it to be closed for 3 hours a time, usually at the hottest time of day, this i would say is entirely the fault of the parents, as if the child isn't potty trained they should be wearing swimming nappies. The hotel did then put up a sign requesting this.
The room was clean enough but with limited space for movement for two adults and one child, as you could tell it is a double room with an extra bed chucked in. We were told that if you put dirty towels in the bath they would be changed that day when the maid came. I know for a fact that on two occasions a towels was not changed as it had talcum powder in, and when I picked up the "supposed" clean towel I ended up with powdered feet. At the same time a few young international football teams checked in, mainly with one adult supervising each group of 11 teenagers a variety of nationalities. We ended up with one Team on the same floor as us, all loud, rude and very inconsiderate to other guests. They would return at 2 in the morning banging, shouting and running up and down the corridor. When waiting for the lifts a group had pushed in front of my partner and our son as it arrived, meaning they had to wait another 5 minutes for the next lift. As they are very small and very slow.
I felt the restaurant was fine, a selection of foods and drinks available. My only problem was the fact from the selection you couldn't really make one full meal unless you wanted something and chips each time. We found breakfast was the best of the day, a good selection of hot and cold food/drinks.
It's also frustrating when you pay for all inclusive services and other groups who pay a lot cheaper for self catering services in the don Jorge which is twice as big as the hotel and has its own pool, crowd the hotel pool, reserving seats by the children's areas and taking the majority of seats in the evening entertainment area.
This hotel is marked as a four star. It's a three star at the most. There is a lot of updating needed in the rooms and general areas for this hotel to maintain a four star rating.

2 Thank Kirsty W
Dear "Kirsty W"

Thank you for sharing your opinions from your recent holiday with us. Please note that we take in consideration all your comment and they will be addressed where needed.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Have stayed at this hotel before with my daughter and in the intervening time have found that the food has greatly improved. Plenty of choice and usually hot compared with last time. Quite edible as well as this time little was left by either of us. A better choice for vegetarians as well. Restaurant staff were hard working and kept the place tidy and clean. Queues can form for lunch and dinner but if you time it to go before 1.30pm for lunch and 7.30pm for dinner there's no problem.

Staff at the hotel were friendly so ignore people who say they aren't - if you take the time to be friendly to them they will reciprocate and if you address them in Spanish then they are really pleased that you've made the effort. They made a great effort to make our stay good as on the night we arrived we found a double bed room had been allocated to my daughter and myself (not a good idea!). I went to reception explained the problem and within 5 minutes the room had been changed to a twin - no fuss, no bother, all handled professionally and calmly (sorry I didn't get the receptionist's name but she was blonde and on duty Saturday evening July 6th at about 9.45pm). Rooms were serviced every day with towels changed every day and linen changed at least 3 times during the week.

The only down side was the fact that there were more people using the facilities due to the Don Jorge edificio at the back of the hotel. This made the Palm Beach busier and therefore noisier in the evenings, however this died down soon after midnight so not much problem there. However, comparing the noise to when we first went to Benidorm years ago and stayed in the town centre, this was nothing. You can actually sleep at the Palm Beach after about 1am while in the town centre you'll be lucky to get any at all

The free bus to and from the beach is a god-send and a new addition is the bus to the centre of Benidorm rather than just to Burger-king; a well-thought-out move.

An extra bonus for those who booked AI was unlimited entry to Mundomar. Aqualandia and Terra Mitica (a pity Terra Natura and Aqua Natura were not in the offer too, maybe something to think about). This made for great days out for both of us.

The hotel is very good for children - high chairs in the dining room for the littlies, a children's club on twice a day, morning and evening, and a games area which never seemed to be empty.

Overall an enjoyable holiday was had by my daughter and myself but if the clientele at the Don Jorge are to be accommodated all the time then the facilities may need to be looked and expanded as too many people are being catered for and so standards may eventually suffer.

Room Tip: Higher floors would help with the noise at night. If you feel you need to change the room, do it im...
3 Thank Ann Y
Dear "Ann Y"

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion with us. We are very glad to hear reviews from our repeating costumers and to learn that you had a nice stay. Thank you for your remarks about the food and staff, this will be transmitted to them and they will be very pleased. We take in consideration all your comments and hope to great you here again on your next holiday to Benidorm.

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Overall myself,partner and two children,7&2 enjoyed our holiday but there was a few disappointing things.we were staying at the don Jorge with use of the hotel facilities and found the apartments to be great,it was great having the washing machine, ironing board etc. the cleaners were in every day and made the beds emptied the bins and left clean towels although a brush round the floor wouldn't have gone a miss. The receptionist at the don Jorge was really friendly and the lifts could b a nitemare at times but we were there two weeks and I think it affected us about three times so not too bad really! The food was fine for adults but they really need to rethink their children's menu, they had chicken nuggets at breakfast n not at lunch or dinner and the food provided at these times I don't think any child would eat. My 7 yr old lived on chips and bread rolls for two weeks and he isn't generally fussy!! I personally found the hotel too busy, I think that having the hotel and the apartment block which were both full was just too much, there was limited room around the pool and the bar at night, we could not take our eyes off our two year old for one second as there was children everywhere, I think the hotel need to have a look at the facilities they provide and upgrade them to maintain their four stars because as it stands I would not class it as four star. While we were there a child poo'd in the pool four times which meant the pool was closed for a good part of those four days, this is just not acceptable as the children weren't allowed inflatables or balls in the pool yet it was ok to poo in it on several occasions. You cannot reserve beds or the lifeguard gives you 20 mins to get back or he takes your towels so be warned!! The free buses are a great bonus and entry into the parks was fantastic but we paid £3000 to go here so we probably paid for it before we went. Mundomar and the water park is great for everyone but terra mittica only suits adults and children from about 9/10 as there is height restrictions on all the rides. Some of the staff were really nice but some were ignorant and seemed to spend a lot of time entertaining the Spanish guests.we were on the 19th floor and asked to be moved as my partner is scared of heights and we also had a toddler with us but we were told no as it was fully booked. We had to queue most times for lunch and dinner and wait on a table, this was the case at a lot of different times. Overall a good holiday but wouldn't go back to this hotel unless a few things changed.

Room Tip: Stay in the apartments if possible as it was like home from home;)
2 Thank Claire M
Dear " Claire M"

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the facilities and services at the Don Jorge apartments. Please note that we try to prevent that anyone dirty the pool by providing swimming nappies, but we can not force anyone put them on, this has to be up to the parents. As said before we are glad to learn that you had a good holiday overall and we hope to see you here again, maybe spring or autumn would be better for your personal needs.