“Not as bad as we imagined”
Review of Gran Hotel Bali

Gran Hotel Bali
Ranked #76 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as we imagined”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Reading the reviews helped is to re-adjust our expectations and we were therefore prepared for this not being what we might have assumed 4 star should be. Going with realistic expectations makes a big difference and saves disappointment.
We therefore took earplugs to sleep with and hardly heard any noise from the 4am revelers.
We expected the food to be pretty ordinary and it was but it wasn't horrible, just standard holiday class fare, i.e. reasonable salad bar, lots of chips, some fried stuff, but plenty of it and it was hot and fairly tasty. Breakfasts were good. There are plenty of restaurants and you don't have to stay in la Cala, it's only 10 minutes walk down hill into Benidorm and the restaurant BuenoSol (probably not spelled like that - sorry!) was fabulous - really good quality pizzas and pasta.
We were expecting staff to be unfriendly but they weren't - they were all very helpful and friendly.
We expected queues at the bars and, yes, there were a few of these but we tended to go out in the evening.
The rooms were functional but clean and the shower was fabulous - roomy, hot and fast flowing. We had a balcony as our room overlooked the back of the hotel and this was a real bonus.
All in all excellent value for money, not four star but not as bad as everyone says. Take earplugs and you'll be fine!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Leslie R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (973)
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel last summer for 2 weeks and it really is not bad. We have 2 fussy children and they always found something to eat. Please be a bit more adventurous you are not in the UK !!!! Pools were always clean as were the rooms and a life guard was on duty (maybe only in high season). Just don't expect to be in the centre of things, but a short walk to Finestrat and you have all you need there.

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank CKBM
Preston
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I accept all the negatives from recent reviews, I went with my wife and children aged 7 & 4. Hotel looked great, but the fabric of it wasn't great. You could hear next doors tv like it was at home and clippety clop from shoes above you was very prominent. But get real, I paid £1200 for all inclusive with flights, insurance and transfers. What do you expect? Evening entertainment wasn't as good as the solano and you did feel like second class citizens queuing for your two drinks per party per person, not very 4 star.
It is what you make of it though, the beach 1/3 rd mile away at la cala was beautiful and I found the staff very helpful. It is a big hotel and loses a Personal touch through being so big. It's like they've worked out how to fill it by being cheap, but forgot there are consequences to that such as roudy swearing stag do's. Food was good, sometimes better than others but on the whole good value.
For the money, it was good value......I wouldn't risk it in the summer and I can see how the locals that use it think all UK residents get pissed,fall over and swear. It's probably on 1% of the hotel, but the behaviour is witnessed by 80%. Get yourself to krakow boys.
The hotel needs to up its prices and get some sound proofing between floors. It needs to sort out the drinks queues and entertainment. Ban male parties of 3 or more to prevent stag do's.
As I say, low prices so good overall value for an early holiday with sun at Easter.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank James883
Nuneaton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 April 2012

i no people look at these reviews and think that the people that complain are mardy and fussy, but trust me, im the least fussiest person when it comes to hotels. i have stayed in some real **** holes, and i havent minded them, but this hotel is appalling. my boyfriend and me have just come back of a weeks holiday from there on the 14th april, and all through the holiday we were discraced with it from the start. put it this way, looks can be decieving. from the outside its beautiful, and you would think so considering its the main attraction for benidorm. But its horrible. the food was horrible, the breakfast was never cooked properly and cold, the eggs were left next to something strong in the fridge, so they were like vinigar, the beans were cold and hard, and the sausages were just plain terrible. as for the rest of the days meals, just pure crap. everything was the same all through the week. we was shocked to see one thing different on the menue, all we ate was noodle soup all week due to it having no taste because of how cheap it was, This hotel is not a 4 star hotel, its a 3 to say the least. its just terrible. you had one bar the whole day to get drinks, and then they swoped to the other bar at half 8 at night. and they are surposed to close the bar at 12, but we tried getting water at half 11, and was told all inclusive is over. i mean a bottle of water!? whats worse is they was going to charge is 2:50 for a small bottle of water! how can you have 1 bar in a 48 story building and expect it to work?! also we had to drink out of plastic cups, like we were not worth it. if you pay for your drinks you would be served first, and get glasses. this is just rediculous. its not like we havent even paid yet we get treated like crap. they say you get snacks, and all week we had no idea that you could have any sanwhiches as there not on show like the crisps, which were cheap crisps. if you wanted walkers you had to pay, yet there in the all inclusive section! the pools was freezing to the point you couldnt feel anything. the sea was warmer and thats saying something. the layout of the hotel is awful, when we arrived we wasnt shown to our rooms, we were also given the wrong floor so took us at least 20 minutes to find our floor which was horrible since it was the midnight and was really tired. the staff was not very friendly or helpful. also the computers were a euro for 20 minutes, yet they had a seperate building further back which you can go in and they have more computers for 50 cent for half hour. thats just plain rediculous. and they ran faster than the ones in the main part. they also didnt work. i lost money due to this. the entertainment was discusting. all you had was old people reading books and playing card games, and even they looked depressed and bored. O and if you want to play pool, its 2 euros. just saying...rediculous..
i no i have complained a lot in this but trust me you will be thanking me if you go you will see why i am moaning...
the only good thing about this hotel was the room and view, and the fact you had a bus stop outside which took you into the main town. this was not worth paying a grand for! treated like we were worthless, yet we payed a grand. how rude! we will never step foot in this place again!

Room Tip: just do not go, simple
6 Thank kerripin

Travellers are raving about these Benidorm hotels

essex
Reviewed 18 April 2012

we were four adults who stayed at this hotel from 1st to 6th april as a short break, we were glad we chose these dates as when we left on good friday it was swarmed with hen and stag parties getting very drunk. if i had been here as a family it would have been my worse nightmare.
ok the hotel itself was ok the front entrance looked very glam, (except the red carpet as you enter looked like it had seen better days!) we stayed AI the food was ok and we always found something to eat although there was always pork so if you dont like pork there wasnt much in the way of choice, the salad bar was always the same but it was ok. They do not clear away the plates you have to put them on another table to be able to eat your main course which we felt was unacceptabloe. Our room was in the smaller building 12th floor which was ok we had a balcony and pool view. The walls are very thin and you can here everything in other rooms and corridors. the pool area is very uninviting and very dirty.
The AI drinks that you have to use just one bar through the day which gets very busy, when the paying bar which had NO customers was empty much of the day. the othe bar you have to use during the evening also gets packed and you que for a long time. this seemed like i very stupid idea as if they had both bars open this would be a lot easier on both staff and residents as most people seemed to stay AI. the evening entertainment was a singer and his wife who played the organ, unfortunatly he was not singing and she was not playing, one evening we was watching and he was singing when he bent down to do something to his equipment and we saw that the singing was still singing but his lips were not moving! it was so funny. we felt because we were AI we were treated as 2nd class citizens. The staff in the whole hotel have no manners at all they never say please, thank you, can i help you or even smile, in the end we did the same to them. if hold a door open for them they just walk through, not so much as a thank you. i would never go to this hotel as my main holiday and i would never take children but for what we paid for the 5 days it was JUST OK. i hope this helps and if you have booked 2 weeks in the summer with your family please reconsider NOW as they need to change the way the hotel works asap, before its too late.

2 Thank tinaweena
Canterbury, United Kingdom

Hi all
I have also returned Monday the 16th April from the Gran Bali. I am going to write a fully and truthful report no excuses just the plain old truth as I see it. First indications at arrival was omm! not bad looking, reception are very clean very spacious grand looking hotel. We booked in, were left to our own devices (we were given a room in the old part of the hotel floor 1405) found the lift and away we went. On opening the door to the room the view was excellent, room a little tired but adequate enough. On closer inspection to my horror, I saw what I thought was blood stains dotted around the room all over the walls! I just about to go ballistic when I looked closer it was wood stain that had been spilt onto the walls. Ok fair enough the view made up for this Not acceptable but to move might mean a bad view so we put up with it.
Unpacked went to the beach beautiful beach both the main beach and Findstratt. Came home around 6 went into the bar area where I joined a queue for AI people. Looking at the bar there was Jamesons whisky, Gordons Gin, Fundador Brandy, Clayarva whisky, Barcadie Rum all the main drinks. On being served I saw him reach for unnamed bottles (below all the main bottles) of what I would describe later as Paint stripper :-) two G n T's in Glasses burned going down and stayed burning in my tummy remember the advert with the firemen in it an antacid advert? I would have eaten them bloody firemen any Spanish fireman that stepped into that bar in fact! brrr still send shivers down me spine lol.
Any ways enough of this banter on woods and down woods. Bathroom very clean very good shower and orf to dinner. Good choice food fish, meats, great cakes, fresh fruit, ect all in all a good first night. After daring to try the GT again this time in PLASTIC glasses and having to peel my lips from the glass I decided to try the Brandy ye Gods!!!! to quote from the book of Genesis '' there was much wailing and a gnashing of teeth'' Get thee behind thee devil!!! it was horrible! A lager was called for very civilised. After being herded into the Illea cafe where apparently you are only served if you are AI after 8.30pm to listen to El Spaniola Tommo Joaneseo quite good actually.
There were lots children running about enjoying them self's. I decided with the good lady to try the Rum ( Barcadie) coke and was pleasantly surprised and away to bed. The beds were very uncomfortable but hey your on holiday sa la vie. After a rather strange night I awoke to enter the balcony looking down at the pool I saw to my amazement now you will have to use your imagination here several great White sharks in the pool!!!!!!! On shouting to the wife ''We need a bigger boat'' Jaws quote I put on my poloraising lens to discover they were not great white sharks but great White Sun Beds!!!!:-( along with Crispy Packet fish, Plastic Beer glass fish and untold amounts of rubbish. Breakfast called lovely fresh orange juice, cereals, fried breakfast on offer all very good and edible. Out to the beach for the day. On returning at 2.30 we decided to partake of the Lunch time menu. Very strange it was exactly the same as the night before even the sprouts had made a second encore! salad was excellent so you can always find something to eat. Back up stairs Plastic glassed Rum even in the bar area Pool I expect but NOT in the bar as well and I will no longer on go about this but that was the norm for the holiday plastic glasses in a 4 star hotel??? Evening meal but! ye gods dar ja view I had seen it before lunch time and the evening before was this my ground hog week? few beers and Rum cokes and all was OK with the world again back to El Tommo again and orf to bed. From here on I will be serious well as best I can be any ways :-)

The hotel is granted 4 star it most certainly isn't. The food was repetitive but adequate you could always find something to eat. I must admit and say that I never found the staff to be unruly or disinterested not the majority anyway you must remember this hotel is huge very very impersonal not my cup of tea being that I am a gregarious person. The staff are pushed at all times especially in the restaurant I know I know this should not be the case as we are on holiday and there is no excuse but I am writing as I found and trying to give a true perspective form both sides. The pool are was rather grubby with over turned ashtrays, kids throwing the sun bed mattresses into the pool and jumping on them, crisp packets blowing all over the place, plastic beer glasses floating in there. And her assured an argument between my self and my wife. My wife said there should be pool attendants or security to stop this. My argument was NO we all have a responsibility to clean up our mess do we not? who done the deed holiday makers that's who cost nought to put ashtray in the bin along with crisp packets and empty beer glasses maybe some people want to live likes pigs but the majority don't de we? where were the parents when they were throwing the mattresses in? probably peeling back there teeth from the awful G&T's :-(.
On a lighter note visit Altea a small mountain village about 1hr by bus from Benidorm beautiful but get the 10min train ride back all down hill to the beach from station. Findstratt beach away from the hotel was great just dodge the doggy do doo's on the pavement. Benidorm old town was a 30min walk away and the main area a further 30mins away. There were several Hen party's there I found them to be no trouble a littel loud but wasn't we all at an early age. I too ended up with food poisoning so bad that I had to have treatment from the Chemist's it put the projectile vomiting bug scene from Hotel Paridiso to shame I believe that was the Kebab in the hotel restaurant so be careful. In fact it was so bad I could not face the prospect of eating in there again.
So lets sum up the holiday. It was a much needed break and we made the best out of a bad thing if you have booked this hotel don't be put of just go and do your own thing. It seems my week was better than the weeks before don't expect 4 star luxury accommodation or most excellent drinks. The food, you will always find something to eat that will suit you, just use your common seance and nose. Yes the majority of people in the hotel will be Spanish guests but they are no bother at all. And I certainly did not feel that I was classed second to them. Would I go back to the Bali NO would I recommend the Bali NO you may go and have a great time I hope so. We all deserve a great holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
4 Thank moldevite
Manchester
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stay at the Grand Bali three times per year in different seasons and have never had a complaint. The staff, food and facilities are brilliant and we never want to leave. Although we have no children we noticed that the facilities and daily entertainment for families is second to none. We are all returning in May and have also already booked for November, Can't wait.

Room Tip: We always specify the 15th floor in the smaller building with a pool/sea view because I like to watc...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends