“Great hotel”

Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Liverpool
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Without doubt this is a great hotel, it has all been written before about how clean the place is, the staff being first class etc etc but I will just add my little bit after my 5 night stay.

Very welcome reception and checked in within a few minutes, paid for the safe 15 euros which is a must these days anywhere but here you do not have access to the lift unless you have a room card so it is near impossible for a randomer to just walk in and then go to the floors with the rooms so a very safe environment.

The rooms are not massive but well appointed and spotlessly clean, the bathroom was a good size with a large walk in shower which I had emailed to request along with a low floor (floor 3) the balcony was big enough with a table and chairs and we were in odd number room with the sun in the afternoon from about 3 to sunset.

The Riviera Terrace was my favourite place for sitting and having a relaxing drink in the afternoons, very comfortable, excellent service and great prices. I am a vodka drinker and the offer on was 2 vodka / redbulls (real stuff) for 4.50 euros which was excellent value, many other offers on the terrace included coffee and a brandy / tia maria / baileys for 1.80 euros or 5 bottles of beer in a bucket full of ice for just 6 euros. There was something for everyone.

The Riviera Music Lounge is undoubtedly the nicest and most luxurious of all the cabaret venues in Benidorm, a really nice place to watch the entertainment. However when we looked in it was fairly quiet and we generally look for busy places to get a bit more atmosphere so only spent one night in there watching Il Divo tribute and a Rock n Roll act. The bar prices were very reasonable and just normal prices, local spirits / mixer at just 3 euros which is great for a cabaret bar. It is a new place the Riviera Music Lounge and I am sure once word gets around it will be a very place, I certainly hope so. Next to the Riviera Music Lounge they have the Purple Room with bingo every night and line dancing twice a week if that is your thing (looked in and it was busy).

Didn't use the gym so can't comment or on the spa across the road but others staying there were recommending it to my wife as being excellent.

Now before the negatives to follow I will first say that I would stay here again in a heart beat and would highly recommend it to others for a stay in Benidorm.

The restaurant....this is were things did not work out well for me, it is very nice and spotlessly clean and the staff are ever so friendly and efficient but I just did not like the food....I am a very fussy eater and many people were raving about the food but it was not for me.I like 'show cooking' stations so that I can have my meat cooked how I want it and put it in sauces if I so choose, the Riviera doesn't do show cooking and 3 of the 5 nights they had no plain choices, everything was cooked in something or other. So 3 nights we chose to eat out after viewing the menu. 2 nights we did choose the restaurant the food was ok, bbq ribs fine, beefsteak not very good accompanying salad / veg fine. The second night we ate there, roasted lamb / carved pork was ok but not great. Desserts were very good but if you eat later as we do sometimes the selection had run out and not replenished so we missed the strawberries and cream on offer 2 nights. The breakfast was plentiful and probably one of the best selections you will see in any restaurant, they looked they catered for everyone and my wife really liked it. I myself did not, I decided to start with cereal but left it as the milk was not very cold at all, so round 2 of the cooked breakfast, one of the toasters was not working and the other needed the bread to be put in 3 times to brown it properly so with 4 people in front of me I just opted for bread, the cooked offering for me is sausage, bacon, eggs when I am away I do not do beans, toms, hash browns unless I am at home, the bacon is spanish bacon which I don't like so I went for the sausages and fried eggs. Unfortunately as the eggs are not cooked to order they were either rock hard as they had been there a while or the ones just put out were very runny / snotty. I chose the two best ones but when I sat down had to go and get a plate to remove one as it was very undercooked indeed, it would possibly have made me ill. The sausages tasted funny to me, nothing wrong with them I don't think just strange taste to me. All in all not great so after the first day I just ate my breakfast out and about.

I am sure that many people who have stayed will read this think I am crazy as the food is great but this is just my opinion and it didn't work for me, not just on me being very fussy which I am but also let down on quality and I want to give a good honest opinion as I do not believe in giving only glowing reports when some things were not right, for me....

We had an excellent stay and will return just not half board, the staff, the clientele, the whole place is just fantastic in every other way so do not let this put you off booking this great hotel.

8 Thank J0hnC0sta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (736)
preston lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I have just returned from our first visit to this fantastic hotel we received such a warm welcome by the lovely ladies on reception on arrival Our room 903 was nice and quiet Food brilliant All restaurant staff was so nice especially mohamed cannot wait untill we visit again our visit was 22nd --29th april x

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank poppyPrestonLancs
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I’ve been lucky enough to have two more stays at Riviera this year. My 6th visit was for a long weekend in February, and just returned from my 7th visit, a 5 night break over the Easter weekend.

My previous reviews all still stand and both of these recent stays went without a single hitch, and I’m very grateful to the hotel for their continued hard work and high standards. It is great to be recognised as repeat guests.

If you’re thinking of booking Riviera, here’s some things to bear in mind. The pool is small and is overshadowed by the neighbouring hotels. In April, each sunbed probably got around 6 hours in the sun, so sun-worshippers may need to move around to get a couple of extra hours. If the pool and sunbathing are your highest priorities, this might not be the right hotel for you. But, the sunbeds are good and it’s a nice area to relax.

Food – I think the food is of a very good standard. It’s a small hotel, so choice isn’t wide, but it’s high quality and refreshed regularly. You’ll find some nice fish, beef, lamb dishes, plus with veg, rice, pasta. Plus cold meats, cheese, fruit, different soups and fantastic sweets. Breakfast has hot and cold buffets. You will not find chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, burgers served at every meal, so if you’re looking for bucket loads of ‘English’ food, this probably isn’t the place for you. The dining room is well run by some lovely staff. I just wish that the hotel would enforce its dress code for guests in the dining room.

Entertainment – the new Music Lounge has made a big different to what’s on offer in the hotel. The Lounge is very smart and comfortable. The singers are all really good, but there’s not really anything particularly different than you get in other bars in town. You’ve also got nightly bingo. If you want variety, you’ll need to venture out.

The hotel is generally very quiet; it’s not the place for big groups who want to make a noise, so you’ll get a good nights sleep, despite being on the edge of the nightlife. You’ll also feel very safe here – only guests with their room keys can use the lifts and, at night, the gate is locked so you’ll have to buzz the night receptionist to get back in.

I can’t wait to get back to Riviera and Benidorm, both of which are starting to feel like a second home. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

6 Thank Scoundy_UK
bolton lancs uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Our second visit to this excellent hotel , super location with great rooms well furnished and kept spotlessly clean , the reception staff handled our request for a double bed without any trouble . The food is very good one of the best places we have eaten at in a hotel in benidorm great breakfasts with all you need from cereals to a full English , the evening meal again of a high standard with a good selection even for any of the fussiest eaters , think the price for a safe is a little high at 15 euros a week and the bar staff in the outside area could do with a little help in the evening - have a new area downstairs for evening acts - didn't go in to watch but the bar looks very comfortable
Overall 8.5/10 and we are looking forward to our new year break here

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank woodcock
bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

just come back from a weeks stay at the riviera nice clean hotel good selection of food at breakfast and evening meal room clean stayed in room 701 comfy king sized bed fridge in room bath and shower even got a picnic bag to take to airport as we missed breakfast would definately recommend this hotel

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank davewBolton
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

This renovated Hotel has been our last stop for this holiday.Room was not so big,but very comfy.Breakfast was so good with several kind of cakes and croissants and also ham, caviar and others several things. Good trip and perfect stay.

3 Thank MarkJul M
alicante
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a week at the Riviera Hotel in April and its so nice,we go a few times a year,the food is better now as it did go a bit down hill but now its a lot better.The best now is that it has a new music lounge great acts on so looking forward to my next visit,the only thing now its getting a bit more expensive so hope it does not go up much more........

Room Tip: They are all nice.......