“food a let down”

Ranked #2 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
suffolk
“food a let down”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location, the place is spotless, the staff very attentive from arrival to departure, nothing was too much trouble. the music lounge was a comfortable place to sit and watch the various acts on a nightly basis.the terrace is a definate sun trap for those who could get a seat away from the sunshade that was put out everyday. the let down for us was the food, it was not what we would have expected from a 4 star hotel..there was no show cooking on at all,the breakfast eggs were terrible, piled up on a tray, either undercooked or solid, one morning i insisted to wait for a new batch to be put out. i nearly got killed in the rush.seems everyone else had the same idea..we were only half board so cannot comment on the lunch time menu.the evening menu was varied if you liked fish, chicken or steak pie.(which arrived a couple of days later as sheppards pie).all this covered in some sort of sauce. the desserts were looking lovely, but as a person that dosnt do sweets, i had to contend with cheese and biscuits.. overall a sad menu.. our room was very spacious and had a balcony that got the sun nearly all day. we had to pay 30euro for the safe which was very acceptable for the two weeks.you could only use the lift if you had the key card, a good measure to keep away wandering outsiders... we had to hire a mobility scooter during our stay, this was a let down as we were led to believe on booking that we could charge up in the hotel. i had to go across to the ambassador everyday to collect and return it, a very dark and scary place even in daylight as its all undercover.so women be aware that anyone could be lurking in there if you are on your own..i would recommend this hotel for its location, but sadly not for the food served.

Room Tip: pick a room with even numbers for sun.
5 Thank auntybe

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (734)
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Just returned from this hotel: 17th April to 24th April 2014

Yes I know we have all read stories about "Benidorm" I for one take reviews with a pinch of salt....

But I/we can honestly say this hotel richly deserves the title of the best small hotel in Benidorm, it has a 4**** rating in which it rightly holds approx 120 bedroom hotel set on nine floors.

First things that strike on entering the hotel is how bright and airy the reception area is with the indoor cafe/bar leading off. Very clean and modern decor.

We were allocated room 506 on the fifth floor, and again very clean and modern decor, beautifully clean / spotless, plenty of cupboard & wardrobe space with hangers & drawers.

We had a twin bed room, beds separated with bedside cabinets. The lighting in both bedroom and bathroom was very well lit, There was also a hair dryer fitted in the Bathroom, we choose a room with a walk in shower (great) very forceful. The linen / towels were changed everyday.

We also choose to have full board, and very glad we did................ all the meals from breakfast to lunch and evening meal were outstanding, all meals were buffet self service & the choice of menu nothing was left to chance.

You could even have a glass of Cava with your breakfast if you wish, you could have a full english breakfast or just fruit & yogurt. Tea / Coffee & toast.

The staff were wonderful, very helpful. Nothing to much trouble..............

You really would have trouble finding any fault with this hotel a real little gem and one they should be proud of, we were so impressed with the hotel / staff and facilities we have booked to return in November 2014.

4 Thank dchl
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is our third stay with friends and will be back again next year. Staff great always make us welcome.restaurant food fantastic, bar staff the same. Music lounge was a great hit with us lovely although could do with large cushions on the sofas as we could not sit back on them without our wee legs dangling .best hotel in benidorm.only one complaint air conditioning did not come on reception Said it did not go on until 1st May but we stayed same time last year and it was on.came on few nights before we left.

Room Tip: All rooms great rooms 6th floor and under have walk in showers
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank sandragallacher912
Liverpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Without doubt this is a great hotel, it has all been written before about how clean the place is, the staff being first class etc etc but I will just add my little bit after my 5 night stay.

Very welcome reception and checked in within a few minutes, paid for the safe 15 euros which is a must these days anywhere but here you do not have access to the lift unless you have a room card so it is near impossible for a randomer to just walk in and then go to the floors with the rooms so a very safe environment.

The rooms are not massive but well appointed and spotlessly clean, the bathroom was a good size with a large walk in shower which I had emailed to request along with a low floor (floor 3) the balcony was big enough with a table and chairs and we were in odd number room with the sun in the afternoon from about 3 to sunset.

The Riviera Terrace was my favourite place for sitting and having a relaxing drink in the afternoons, very comfortable, excellent service and great prices. I am a vodka drinker and the offer on was 2 vodka / redbulls (real stuff) for 4.50 euros which was excellent value, many other offers on the terrace included coffee and a brandy / tia maria / baileys for 1.80 euros or 5 bottles of beer in a bucket full of ice for just 6 euros. There was something for everyone.

The Riviera Music Lounge is undoubtedly the nicest and most luxurious of all the cabaret venues in Benidorm, a really nice place to watch the entertainment. However when we looked in it was fairly quiet and we generally look for busy places to get a bit more atmosphere so only spent one night in there watching Il Divo tribute and a Rock n Roll act. The bar prices were very reasonable and just normal prices, local spirits / mixer at just 3 euros which is great for a cabaret bar. It is a new place the Riviera Music Lounge and I am sure once word gets around it will be a very place, I certainly hope so. Next to the Riviera Music Lounge they have the Purple Room with bingo every night and line dancing twice a week if that is your thing (looked in and it was busy).

Didn't use the gym so can't comment or on the spa across the road but others staying there were recommending it to my wife as being excellent.

Now before the negatives to follow I will first say that I would stay here again in a heart beat and would highly recommend it to others for a stay in Benidorm.

The restaurant....this is were things did not work out well for me, it is very nice and spotlessly clean and the staff are ever so friendly and efficient but I just did not like the food....I am a very fussy eater and many people were raving about the food but it was not for me.I like 'show cooking' stations so that I can have my meat cooked how I want it and put it in sauces if I so choose, the Riviera doesn't do show cooking and 3 of the 5 nights they had no plain choices, everything was cooked in something or other. So 3 nights we chose to eat out after viewing the menu. 2 nights we did choose the restaurant the food was ok, bbq ribs fine, beefsteak not very good accompanying salad / veg fine. The second night we ate there, roasted lamb / carved pork was ok but not great. Desserts were very good but if you eat later as we do sometimes the selection had run out and not replenished so we missed the strawberries and cream on offer 2 nights. The breakfast was plentiful and probably one of the best selections you will see in any restaurant, they looked they catered for everyone and my wife really liked it. I myself did not, I decided to start with cereal but left it as the milk was not very cold at all, so round 2 of the cooked breakfast, one of the toasters was not working and the other needed the bread to be put in 3 times to brown it properly so with 4 people in front of me I just opted for bread, the cooked offering for me is sausage, bacon, eggs when I am away I do not do beans, toms, hash browns unless I am at home, the bacon is spanish bacon which I don't like so I went for the sausages and fried eggs. Unfortunately as the eggs are not cooked to order they were either rock hard as they had been there a while or the ones just put out were very runny / snotty. I chose the two best ones but when I sat down had to go and get a plate to remove one as it was very undercooked indeed, it would possibly have made me ill. The sausages tasted funny to me, nothing wrong with them I don't think just strange taste to me. All in all not great so after the first day I just ate my breakfast out and about.

I am sure that many people who have stayed will read this think I am crazy as the food is great but this is just my opinion and it didn't work for me, not just on me being very fussy which I am but also let down on quality and I want to give a good honest opinion as I do not believe in giving only glowing reports when some things were not right, for me....

We had an excellent stay and will return just not half board, the staff, the clientele, the whole place is just fantastic in every other way so do not let this put you off booking this great hotel.

8 Thank J0hnC0sta
preston lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I have just returned from our first visit to this fantastic hotel we received such a warm welcome by the lovely ladies on reception on arrival Our room 903 was nice and quiet Food brilliant All restaurant staff was so nice especially mohamed cannot wait untill we visit again our visit was 22nd --29th april x

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank poppyPrestonLancs
Telford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I’ve been lucky enough to have two more stays at Riviera this year. My 6th visit was for a long weekend in February, and just returned from my 7th visit, a 5 night break over the Easter weekend.

My previous reviews all still stand and both of these recent stays went without a single hitch, and I’m very grateful to the hotel for their continued hard work and high standards. It is great to be recognised as repeat guests.

If you’re thinking of booking Riviera, here’s some things to bear in mind. The pool is small and is overshadowed by the neighbouring hotels. In April, each sunbed probably got around 6 hours in the sun, so sun-worshippers may need to move around to get a couple of extra hours. If the pool and sunbathing are your highest priorities, this might not be the right hotel for you. But, the sunbeds are good and it’s a nice area to relax.

Food – I think the food is of a very good standard. It’s a small hotel, so choice isn’t wide, but it’s high quality and refreshed regularly. You’ll find some nice fish, beef, lamb dishes, plus with veg, rice, pasta. Plus cold meats, cheese, fruit, different soups and fantastic sweets. Breakfast has hot and cold buffets. You will not find chicken nuggets, chips, pizza, burgers served at every meal, so if you’re looking for bucket loads of ‘English’ food, this probably isn’t the place for you. The dining room is well run by some lovely staff. I just wish that the hotel would enforce its dress code for guests in the dining room.

Entertainment – the new Music Lounge has made a big different to what’s on offer in the hotel. The Lounge is very smart and comfortable. The singers are all really good, but there’s not really anything particularly different than you get in other bars in town. You’ve also got nightly bingo. If you want variety, you’ll need to venture out.

The hotel is generally very quiet; it’s not the place for big groups who want to make a noise, so you’ll get a good nights sleep, despite being on the edge of the nightlife. You’ll also feel very safe here – only guests with their room keys can use the lifts and, at night, the gate is locked so you’ll have to buzz the night receptionist to get back in.

I can’t wait to get back to Riviera and Benidorm, both of which are starting to feel like a second home. If you have any questions, please get in touch.

6 Thank Scoundy_UK
bolton lancs uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Our second visit to this excellent hotel , super location with great rooms well furnished and kept spotlessly clean , the reception staff handled our request for a double bed without any trouble . The food is very good one of the best places we have eaten at in a hotel in benidorm great breakfasts with all you need from cereals to a full English , the evening meal again of a high standard with a good selection even for any of the fussiest eaters , think the price for a safe is a little high at 15 euros a week and the bar staff in the outside area could do with a little help in the evening - have a new area downstairs for evening acts - didn't go in to watch but the bar looks very comfortable
Overall 8.5/10 and we are looking forward to our new year break here