“4 star??”

GreenLeadersGold level
newcastle upon tyne
“4 star??”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

hing just returned from a week at this hotel I have mixed reviews....as does my hubby...
I shall start with the negative
food...terrible for a four star hotel......breakfast was almost the same every ay....the chef would make omelettes when he hadn't nicked off for a break.....fresh orange juice no where to be soon....but plenty of diluted juice available.......sliced melon and grapefruit available every morning....not once did this change.......there is a stand with oranges and bananas on.....again this didn't change and the fruit cocktail was out of a tin,
very very slow service to clean the tables.....yesterday we had our breakfast in the sun room part of the dining room which is lovely.....not one table was cleaned......show cooking......a joke.....kebabs...??? get real......more vegetarian food needed
no cups and saucers left on the table?? 4 star??
the beds were uncomfortable and covered in a plastic mattress protector......never I my le have I experienced this.....pillows terrible....
the sunbeds....so old and uncomfortable....no wonder no body moved u couldn't get out of the ruddy things......again not what u wud expect from a 4 star establishment......umbrellas were broken and poorly fitting.....the pool side did not open until 10 am!!!!...940 if u were lucky......because the handy man as busy........so handy I never saw him in the morning
cant comment on the entertainment as we never stayed in the hotel in the evening
our room was on the second floor facing the sea...noisy at night....but just close the door .

the positives......this hotel is in a prime location in the old town of Benidorm.....literally a 3 minute access tot he prom and beach.....2 minutes to supermarkets and bars and shops.....
the bus stops are outside the hotel....so location wise this is exceptional.....a reason why we picked the hotel
the staff were very friendly and helpful
the room was kept clean and the cleaner was amazing
the is a fridge in the room...no extra charge
kettle in the room ......no extra charge
at the time of our stay the hotel was having some adaptations......stair rails being attached?? for safety.......surely these shud have been there already
a spa is available...but could not book a massage as the girl was on holiday???

I feel with some changes yes this could live up to its 4 stars...but can only assume it got its 4 stars cos of its location......

Room Tip: god knows we were on the second floor...noisy due to traffic junction....close door and roast lol...
1 Thank hili11
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Good Afternoon Hili11,

Thank you for your recent contribution on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to hear that the Hotel had positive aspects for you.

Regarding the sunbeds and Parasols, as I have mentioned on previous reviews we are in the process of changing them, I will add though they are not old, most of them were replaced last year. Due to the heat, the colour fades but it is an untrue accusation to say they are old. I can’t imagine why you would want to make unkind comments about the maintenance men; if they are not visible it doesn’t mean they are not working.

If you had requested we would have removed the mattress cover, they do help protect against having stained mattresses, easy to wash a cover and not a mattress. Pillows could have been changed too if requested.

Our chefs are not in the habit off nicking off for a break, he may have gone back to the kitchen to collect more supplies. We absolutely welcome feedback but it really isn’t necessary to make assumptions without having the facts.

All your comments regarding the food have been noted and will be reviewed.

Regarding the emergency staircase, we have replaced the windows recently and added new rails, nothing more than that and updated the safety features; there is no problem with this.

Hotel RH Corona del Mar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Telford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

this review will probably bring howls of protest form the loyal customers at the Corona . However,. here goes. We have been visiting in the Winter months for about ten years and this year there was a noticeable decline in the restaurant standards. This is a four star hotel for heavens sake , who wants to eat Doner Kebab as the show cooking item ? Over a five week period we never ever saw a prawn or shellf fish selection , paella or any traditional Spanish cooking. The breakfast buffet had some very ropey british style sausages which reappeared at night in a potato salad, go figure!

Room Tip: sea view if available on floor seven
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 362Prydderch
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello KathleenHughes,

Thank you for your feedback on the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I was sorry to read after arriving on the 13/01 for six weeks that you found the food not as good as previous years.

The menu wheel is similar as previous years with slight modification each year. We serve shellfish five times week admittedly more at lunchtime than evening and every day we have a typical Spanish dish at lunchtime, such as paella, or chickpeas. These meals are very heavy in the evening and in typical Spanish style we serve them at lunch.

Having stayed at the Hotel on a number of occasions I am sure you are aware that you can swap evening meal for lunch. Being on half board and reading your comments I assume you chose evening meal each day.

At breakfast along with the sausages we have a lot more to offer, on the hot and cold selection, if you found them “ropey”, maybe you could have mentioned that to me at the time and I would have investigated you had plenty of time to do so. That said your comment has been noted.

Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just got back after 2 weeks at this lovely hotel. Stayed on 4th floor overlooking the cemetery, which wouldn't be to everyone's taste but we found it ok, and the balcony at the back benefits from a nice daily temperature without the full sun. The staff were faultless from reception to the restaurant staff and bar waiters. Rooms are well appointed and very clean. Air conditioning could do with upgrade as we were unable to control the temperature. We like it cooler at night to sleep and weren't able to get room cooler unless we opened the balcony doors, which nullified the air conditioning! A small matter now but during the warmer months might not have been so comfortable. The food, especially the salads and fresh fruit was excellent, with plenty of choice. Good location being right next to beautiful beach, and enough bars and shops to keep most visitors happy. Never stayed this side of Benidorm before but would definitely come back again and especially to this hotel. Thank you Corona del Mar, see you again.

1 Thank PADDERSNewport_Gwent
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Hello Paddersnewport,

Thank you for your review of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

Great to read how much you enjoyed your stay with us and rest assured with the air conditioning, it is fully operational. It has been recently switched over from heating to air con.

We hope to see you gain in the near future,

Naas, Ireland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Firstly, let me start this review by stating that I have stayed in a wide variety of 4 star hotels around the world over the past 10 years. Such hotels have been located in Asia, Europe and the US. I have not reviewed most of these hotels, but I feel that I have sampled enough to feel that I can accurately comment on 4 star hotels.

This hotel had many *great* features, but was let down badly by some issues, which I feel could be quite easily rectified.

Pros:

Location - The hotel is located in the old town, so right beside the beach and very near to shops, cafes, restaurants etc.

Food - We were full board so ate there for all meals. Breakfast included the usual mix of hot foods like bacon and eggs, along with cereals, breads, cheeses, yogurts, fruit juices and fruit. The chef made crepes and omelettes to order, but this alternated on different days. There was also a wide variety of food available at lunch and dinner. It included soups, lunch meats, salads, salad fixings, breads, pasta/chilli of some kinda, a variety of grilled meats and fish, 2 types of potatoes (always fries) and veggies. Desserts included yogurts and ice creams in a separate large fridge, and a dessert buffet with plenty of choice. There were also meats and salads left out for us on the first night, when we had arrived very late.

Gluten free friendly - I have coeliac disease, and staff were fantastic about it. They brought me out special gluten free bread whenever I needed it, and the server went through lunch and dinner dishes every day to tell me which foods I could eat.

Restaurant staff - The staff were so friendly and efficient, especially considering the vast hordes of people in the restaurant and the subsequent demands on their time. One very nice waitress even came up to me to tell me something wasn't gluten free. She was concerned that I was about to eat something that would have made me ill. The chef then told her that he had made the food especially for me, and separate from the rest. However if it hasn't been gluten free, I could have gotten very sick. So it was very good of her to look out for me. I wish I could remember her name so as to impart my praise directly to her!

Rooms - The rooms have large mirrors and are indeed very clean. They are a good size, with lovely balconies. There is even a comfy sofa and flat screen TV. There is also a kettle in the room, which is so very important. We noticed that the maids added extra teabags for us once they saw how we depleted the tea stocks daily. That was very thoughtful.

Champagne reception on the Friday - We thought that the free champagne was a very classy touch and the music made for a romantic ambiance.

Library - The hotel has shelves of books upstairs on the 7th floor. This was great for me, as I finished more books than I thought I would. Many hotels do *not* have this facility. I think the hotel should let their guests know about this great service upon check in.

Pool - I thought the pool was lovely. It was big and there were plenty of loungers.

Bar and entertainment - The staff there were very friendly, and the entertainment seemed to be great fun. We only saw it one night, but every time we passed by it looked really good.

Cons:

The bed - My bed was the *absolute worst* bed I have ever had the misfortune to sleep on in my life. It was so hard that I would regularly wake up when I turned over. And I am a person that prefers a hard bed! I've never experienced anything as uncomfortable, even in hostels or when camping on floors. Truth be told, sleeping on a floor would likely have been more comfortable. Other guests mentioned that they had had the same issue, so we didn't think there would be any point in changing rooms.

Air con - The air con was so light as to be basically useless. We had it up to 3, which was the highest setting. Yet it really didn't seem to cool the room at all.

Hotel does not provided towels for pool usage - You have to pay a €10 deposit to get one. Yes, you get your money back at the end, but I don't think a 4 star hotel should ever make you pay for towels at all. No 4 star hotel I have ever been in has.

Rooms were clean, but towels didn't seem to be replaced - I'm really not sure what this was about. I left the dirty ones on the floor, but one was stained all week and so I know for a fact that it was never replaced. Maybe I was supposed to put towels elsewhere if I wanted them to be cleaned. Also, the hotel had a strong environmental policy, so perhaps this was part of it.

Breakfast ends earlier than other hotels - This wasn't ideal.The vast majority of hotels I have frequented have had breakfast until 10.30, and many till 11.00. I feel this would be good, as not everyone is a lark, and many of us want a rest on holiday. A breakfast ending at 10 means one has to be down there at 9.30 to ensure they get a proper breakfast. Hence we were up at 9 every day, and sometimes were so tired that we even missed breakfast. I don't go on holiday to have to get up early. And we weren't out partying either. It was just so hard to sleep due to a combination of the awful beds and the useless air con.

No tea/coffee making facilities at lunch or dinner - The tea/coffee machines were always on at breakfast, so why not for other meals? Especially since the hotel has a large majority of British guests, a place where tea/coffee follows most meals. Yes, we could go up for tea to our room but this would delay us returning to the pool after lunch, and after dinner we always wanted to go for a walk straight away.

Parasols - These were constantly blowing over or breaking. However, the manager is currently getting new ones so this will be fixed.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay. The food was great, the staff were lovely, the bar was fun and the pool was great. However, my sleep was so poor because of the beds and with breakfast ending at 10. If the beds were changed and the breakfast time extended I would frequent this hotel again.

4 Thank lynncrf
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Good Afternoon Lynn,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I can see that most of our facilities were to your liking.

In response to your cons, regarding the bed, had you mentioned your issue we could have changed the mattress for you.

I can appreciate you are a travelled person, but would mention in defence of the hotel that there are very few hotels in Benidorm that have tea and coffee facilities in the room and even less in the dining room (apart from breakfast) at meal times unless of course they are all inclusive.

The air con has only been switched over today from the winter setting so rooms are now cooler than through your stay,

I was very proud to read though how much you were looked after in the dining room. In larger hotels with higher guest numbers it is possible to have the dining room open longer, but it is not necessary in our hotel and has never been a problem. I understand for you personally you would have preferred extended hours.

I hope on your next trip you find everything you are looking for,

manchester
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Well located hotel overlooking sea( sea view a must). Very clean in all areas. Good room with ample storage, carpeted with good lighting and mirrors. Food ok..had better, had worse.
Two big disappointments for me...the state of the sunloungers round the pool. Vast majority were broken underneath. Parasols were in the same state of disrepair...wouldn't stand up due to broken bases and spokes sticking out in a dangerous manner. No pool bar open even though it was scorching for the two weeks we were there. And secondly the "entertainment". Granted there was music on every night...if you like dancing that's fine. We don't....and don't particularly want to watch line dancing either. A few acts on in the first week which were ok....but in my opinion not good enough for a 4* hotel. Many elderly repeat British clients...who love it.

Room Tip: Sea view ....high floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Good Morning Wonderwoman!

Thank you choosing to stay at the Hotel RH Corona del Mar and for writing a review.

I was sorry to read your disappointment but can tell you that we are in the process of revising the sunbeds and parasols to ensure they are in ship shape. We have also on order more parasols. The pool bar is as per advertised in high season only and not open all summer.

We hope to welcome you back one day to a great Hotel and restore your faith,

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I have just returned from our first visit to the Corona del Mar (and Benidorm) and we're very impressed with both.
We only booked our trip a very few weeks before travelling (via Thomson) ......I e.mailed the hotel directly and arranged for an upgrade to a room with a sea view ..... A must.
Check in was very smooth and the staff very friendly ..... as it turned out so we're all of the staff we met.
Our room was on the top floor (7th) ...... it was decorated in soothing tones .... not depressing as someone commented. The furnishings were modern ,plenty of storage space . A flat screen TV on the wall with UK channels. The beds were firm but very comfy.
We stayed on a half board basis and found a good choice of food at all meals .....always hot and well presented ..... couldn't fault it. The cost of drinks with meals was if anything on the low side.
The pool area was pleasant and there was never a shortage of loungers and it had the sun until early evening.
Lunch time snacks in the bar were very good ..... a large choice and again lovely staff. Also the ice-creams were wonderful.
The hotel's location is excellent ......right on Poniente and close to the old town with its choice of cafés,restaurants and shops.
All in in all a lovely week .......we shall definitely return

Room Tip: Upgrade to a sea view
2 Thank GrouchoWestMidlands
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Groucho,

Thank you very much for writing about your stay at the Hotel RH Corona del Mar on your first visit to Benidorm.

I am so very pleased to read your review from start to finish and will ensure the whole team read it too.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another lovely week in the near future,

Welshpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2014

stayed from 22 to 29 April, excellent room (209) with lovely sea view and for people watching. Slight problem that was expertly handled by Marta. Best staff I have ever seen in a hotel, had problem with free wifi on wife's iPad, solved by reception staff, nothing is too much of a problem. Diego in the bar always had a smile and a laugh. Very close to old town and sea front is in front of hotel with excellent promenade for walking. Oh and the beds are comfortable not like most of the hotels I've been in. Bar prices are reasonable.

Room Tip: ask for sea view
1 Thank Gareth E
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Gareth,

What a great start to the week. Sincere thanks for your review of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I am really delighted with your feedback Gareth and yes our staff are excellent I am very proud of them all.

We certainly hope to see you again in the near future and it was a pleasure having you stay,