“A hidden gem that we want to keep secret, but we need to commend!”

Ranked #4 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
GreenLeadersGold level
Essex
“A hidden gem that we want to keep secret, but we need to commend!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I don't normally write reviews, but I have decided to write this one, but at the same time I am hesitant as I want this hotel to be kept a secret. It is our 7th time in Benidorm, but this is the first time at the Corona Del Mar. I can't believe we hadn't discovered this little gem of a hotel before. We had emailed the hotel prior to booking and arriving, and were always replied to promptly and with courtesy. Based on the friendly emails and reviews from Trip Advisor, we decided to go ahead and book. Having arrived on time from Alicante, taxied by Sun Transfers (which I also recommend), our room was not quite ready for us to use (this was at about 11:45 am, so we expected that). However, this was not a problem. The receptionist greeted us warmly and volunteered to call up to the maids to see if our room was ready. Within the hour, unprompted, she came over to inform us whilst we were sitting in the bar area that our room was ready. This was such a bonus as we had left our house in the UK at 4.30am, and our plan was to have lunch and then a nap. We had a sea view room which we had paid for. Definitely, without fail, this is so worthy of the price. It overlooked Peacock/Benidorm Island and to the side, the swimming pool too. The room had a flat screen tv which we hardly used as we were so "busy" enjoying the views from the balcony. A nice touch was the tea and coffee making facilities with supplies. This is unusual for the Spanish hotels I have stayed in over 20 years. I think this would be most used in the colder months when holidaying here. A no charge mini fridge was also provided, with refillable reasonable priced mini-bar drinks if you wanted them. The beds were comfortable. We had an 8 and 17 year old with us and they both said that the sofa-bed was comfortable, unlike others they have slept on at other hotels. The beds had a lovely modern bed spread to give a lovely weighted feel like a duvet. I usually pack a light weight duvet with me when we travel and I am glad I didn't this time. The air conditioning was brilliant and wasn't at all noisy that would keep you up at night. The room was clean and spacious for 4 people and was carpeted, which I really like. The bathroom was supplied with the usual toiletries and sponges, and a sewing kit which my kids were funnily ecstatic about!
All the hotel staff were super friendly, polite and courteous. We did not encounter one rude or impatient member of staff who wanted to get rid of you. I have not had the experience to say every staff member in all the hotels I have stayed in have been so polite.
When going in to the restaurant for our 3 meals, it was lovely that we were personally greeted at the door almost at every meal and then were not forced or told to be sat somewhere in a designated area. We also never had to queue to enter the restaurant which is a problem we have had at other so called 4 star hotels. When the table you wanted wasn't prepared, a waiter/waitress would promptly ensure your table would be made up quickly and without fuss and then your drinks order would be taken without having to chase someone down. The dining experience is one of the best we have had in the hotels we have stayed in. It didn't feel like a canteen experience. Even at breakfast, we had nice tablecloths for meals.
The food, well there was something for everyone, especially with my super fussy kids. Plenty of fresh fruits and meats. Breakfast is very good. So much on offer. Freshly baked rolls, croissants, pain du chocolat in the oven and you can watch them coming out to know they are fresh! We had full board and had paella for lunch every day. It was so very tasty, no different from the ones you pay highly for in restaurants outside.
We had our personal beach towels washed on a Friday using the hotel laundry service. It was inexpensive and came back very clean and well packaged and arrived in our room the next evening placed on our beds. If you didn't want to take your own towels for the pool, you can hire them for free for a 10 Euro deposit. This was a very handy service as you can change them every day.
The prices of the drinks, snacks and ice cream were reasonable and not over priced as what you would expect when going on holiday. So for us, we didn't feel the need to hold back, but because we were so full from our meals, we didn't need to snack at all.
The evening entertainment was as good as what you expect for the summer trade. When we didn't fancy a particular act, we just strolled into the old town and coming back to the hotel at 1.30am or later surrounded by non threatening people all having a good time! A nice pleasant surprise was that at the dinner on a few evenings, there was a female violinist who serenaded you with her music. That was lovely. She even offered to let our daughter (who is learning violin) have a play on her instrument!
The pool area is nicely laid out, and although it was busy, we always managed to get sunbeds. Our daughter loved the slide and the pool was very clean and safe. The pool bar offered a good service and again whichever waiter was on duty was always very friendly. An added bonus was that no music was being played in the pool area. This allowed you some real peace and quiet unlike other hotels where it is pumped out at forcefully and you have no choice but to listen to whatever awful repeated mix of tacky music the DJ has chosen!
The wifi is free and has excellent connection speeds. This made the holiday for my son. It also allowed me to listen to live radio by the pool or on the balcony.
The hotel is well maintained and you can see staff cleaning at 1.30am in the morning. The hotel is located at the start of The Poniente Beach. It is busy enough, but not crazy and loutish. You wouldn't think you are in Benidorm, walking through the old town and the back streets. Most of the clientele in the hotel are Spanish which is perfect for us. If you want a larger amount of British company, then the Levante beach area may be more to your liking.
Obviously, as you can read, we thoroughly enjoyed our experience, and it would be difficult to find faults. If I had to mention some negatives, then they are very minor, and we didn't think it was worth mentioning at the time to staff. The balcony door was faulty and didn't lock. The piped music was on at random times, and we didn’t manage to work out how to turn it off (think the buttons may have been faulty). When trying to find an unbroken parasol in the swimming pool area, we had to wade through about 6 to 7 in order to find one that wasn't damaged (the hotel really need to dispose of the broken old blue ones and get more of the sturdier white parasols). The one time we decided to use the indoor pool, it was extremely cold and we quickly left to use the outdoor pool instead. Usually, the indoor pools are heated to a warmer temperature. It would be nice to have the safe in the room for free and if you lose the key then you pay for the loss (or use digital safes like many modern hotels now have). Although 2 Euros day isn't a lot of money, it does add up if you were there longer than a week.
When we checked out, the same receptionist who checked us in 11 days earlier offered us a free big bottle of water for our journey. This very small inexpensive gesture, gave us the impression that they want you to come back and remember them and we certainly will be back in October, I hope!
We all thoroughly enjoyed this holiday and didn't want to leave. We will have no inclination to look elsewhere for accommodation.

5 Thank Boomousemum
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hello Boomousemum,

What a great start to the week, with your fabulous review of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I am delighted you chose to stay with us in your 7th trip to Benidorm (lucky 7!!) and that you thoroughly enjoyed your holiday.

I am sure many potential guests will be able to get a feel of what to expect from the hotel.

Thank you for dedicating so much time and energy writing your review.

We look forward to your next stay,

Hotel RH Corona del Mar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
High Wycombe
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We are just coming to the end of of holiday here at Corona Del Mar and none of us want to leave! We booked this hotel as we wanted a relaxed holiday (I am nearly 30 weeks pregnant) we are travelling also with our very active 5 year old daughter. We have had the perfect holiday here. From the moment we arrived in reception I was struck by how clean everything was. The lobby and reception area are absolutely spotless..a great start for me! We were checked in quickly and efficiently and the reception staff were, and have continued to be the most helpful we have encountered anywhere. Not a single complaint about them whatsoever.
We were allocated our room straight away, 7th floor room 708. We arrived into the room to find everything again spotless. The room looks straight out onto the sea. Everything we could need in here, the cleaning lady (Nora) does an incredible job, there is not a speck of dust anywhere and the sheets are changed everyday. There is a safe in the room with a charge payable locally but we didn't use it. The air con is excellent, another major plus point for me when it's 33 degrees outside.
The pool area is great, plenty of sunbeds, umbrellas are available also. I have to say the "sunbed savers" here are the Brits!! Noticed quite a few saved by Brits as they wandered off for a walk! No need really as there is plenty to go around. The pool area continues the theme of being nice and clean. The bar staff are lovely, special thanks to Diego who is fantastic and works tirelessly, when on pool bar duty he comes around and says hello to everyone at the beginning of service, unlike some resorts, this is not done for tips, it is because he is a genuinely lovely person who seems to enjoy his job and the people who visit. The other bar staff are also excellent and very patient with our independent girl who wants to order everything for herself.
The food is lovely. I read a review previously which said everything is chicken, chicken, chicken...it most certainly is not! We have enjoyed steak, pork, kebabs (which were yummy) chicken and fish. The salad and fruit bars are well stocked and fresh. Fresh bread and croissants baked in the restaurant daily and fresh juices and coffee at breakfast along with yogurts and ice cream at both meals too. The staff in the restaurant are very helpful and patient. They see when you have finished and clear the tables without seeming like they are watching over you. Our daughter is in love with Joel the maître d...as soon as she realised his name she was smitten (our chosen boys name) and she talks about him after every service, in her eyes he is completely perfect!
To sum up this hotel is all we could have wished for and more. We have already spoken about coming back again next year as we will then be travelling with a baby too and the hygiene standards here are so high I would have no worries about bringing him with us. No complaints at all, if you are heading here for your holiday you won't be disappointed. Thank you to all at Corona Del Mar for an amazing time, and all being we'll see you this time next year :) xx

Room Tip: We had room 708 which has sea view and is lovely. Sea view is certainly worth having.
4 Thank weloveholidayshw
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Good evening Weloveholidayshw,

Thank you very much for your review of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I was absolutely delighted to read your review and hear how much you enjoyed your holiday.

The chef will be very happy to hear how much you enjoyed his food and in fact all the team will be pleased their hard work doesn’t go unnoticed.

We certainly hope to welcome you back next year. In the meantime we wish you all the very best

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Fantastic staff and accommodation situated near the old town lots of tapas bars sea views.
Always stayed at villa del Mar. Think now we found a new place .
Good food range staff very friendly and helpful just found a friend working here been seeing him over 17 years in Benidorm, made our stay special thanks diago

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Mr Stanyer,

Thank you for your fabulous review and for choosing to stay at the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the hotel and our very friendly staff.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel from 12/7- 26/7/2014 which is situated in the old town.
I had requested a sea view and that is what we got although it was only on the 1st floor so the view was restricted. No others were available. However, the rooms were very nice and kept very clean.
The selection of food was varied although we found the lunchtime menu to on occasion be much better than the evening one.
The entertainments programme was ok but we saw the same acts twice as we were there for two weeks...
At the time of our visit the hotel was full with a majority of older clients.
The pool was very nice and kept clean but a little too small for the size of the hotel however, we were always able to obtain a couple of sun beds and the beach was just across the road which was beautiful. No music around the pool which would have been nice..
The staff at the hotel were brilliant. Friendly, helpful always ready to assist.
I want to say a particular big thank you to the hotel Customer Relations Manager Tracey Pollitt who was very kind and caring to me when I was unwell whilst staying there. Also, the overnight reception male member of staff who helped us in our hour of need and arranged for champagne to be left in my Daughters room instead of ours... Thank you
Would definitely visit again but maybe for a shorter period of time. Benidorm is busy busy busy...

Room Tip: Choose a sea view above the third floor. The area around the hotel is very built up with some very t...
1 Thank Bev C
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Good Afternoon Bev,

My sincere thanks for your recent review on TripAdvisor, for the Hotel RH Corona del Mar.

I was very pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel, location and beach.

I will share you review with all the team and pass your comments to Tracey too.

We hope to welcome you back again in the near future,

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a week beginning 26th July and I couldn't fault the place. It's nice and peaceful and the variety of food was first class. A very clean and welcoming hotel, all the staff worked hard to ensure your stay was relaxing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and if I return to Benidorm I will certainly stay here. From the hustle and bustle of the new town this was a bit of paradise to come home to. A nice touch was the pool being chained off until 9.30am so you could have a good sleep knowing there would be loungers available for you after breakfast.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Philip C
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hello Phillip,

What a treat to read your valued opinion of the “Excellent Hotel” RH Corona del Mar.

Great to hear the Hotel was welcoming and relaxing and that you would recommend our hotel to anyone.

With regard to the pool, we do our very best to implement a system fair for all the guests of the hotel and I am very pleased you found this to be a nice touch.

We look forward to your next visit…

Beverley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I and young daughter stayed at the Corona for 3 nights (16th - 18th July 2014) so it was probably a little quieter than when the schools break up for summer.
We requsted a high floor with a sea view and that is what we got. The room on the 5th floor was very clean and quite spacious a large sofa bed had been arranged for our daughter but there was still enough room to move about.
Facillities in the room included a mini bar, air con, safe box, hair dryer, shampoos etc and a kettle.
All of the staff were very polite and helpful and really made us feel welcome.
The location of the hotel is excellent just a five minute walk to the old Town and just across the road from the beach.
The dining room on the first floor is well laid out, clean and bright with large plate glass windows to two sides offering great views down to the beach.and street below. The menu was varied and we always found something to our liking. The food was not the best we have had in Benidorm but it was still to a good standard and the wine prices were very reasonable for a restaurant.
I must make further mention of the excellent service provided by all the restaurant staff, they really make this a great place to stay.
The only downside to this great little hotel was the inconsiderate people who were out early in the morning 'reserving' sun loungers with towels and then leaving them empty for much of the day.
We have stayed at two other hotels in Benidorm but this is the one we would probably return to again very much due to its location and friendly staff.

1 Thank MikeBC968
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Good Morning Mike,

Sincere thanks for sharing your opinion of the Hotel RH Corona del Mar with fellow travellers.

Very nice to read how much you and your family enjoyed the hotel and location along with our friendly staff.

We very much hope to welcome you back again in the near future and thank you for choosing to stay with us,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Just returned from spending two weeks at this hotel. Could not find any faults. Staff, room, food and public areas are all excellent. Great location, just five minutes from the old town and one minute from the beach. Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and will certainly return as soon as possible.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 63ted
Marta_Gomez, Manager at Hotel RH Corona del Mar, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Good Morning 63ted,

My sincere thanks for your review of the “Brilliant Hotel” RH Corona del Mar and the staff.

I am delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and pleased you would recommend our Hotel to fellow travellers.

We look forward to seeing you again soon,