“Costa headache!!”

Ranked #20 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Birkenhead
“Costa headache!!”
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Firstly can I just say that you get what you want from Benidorm, if you want quiet you can usually find it. I and my husband have been and enjoyed the resort many times staying at various hotels. As with previous reviews I would add to the fact that the Helios is clean and the rooms are modern.
However the food is not the best, the breakfast is one of the worse I have experienced.
We arrived here on the second of July and returned on the 16th. Thomson as a holiday company need to clean up their act, you are basically dumped. As also mentioned from the holiday maker from Liverpool who I remember, teams of Spanish teenage and younger football players were not what we paid £1,400 to listen to. I also fell on the stairs after gangs of them traipsed through the hotel soaking. They were rude and held little regard for those around. This is The Costa Blanca Cup time so beware when booking.
The hotel caters in the main for Spanish guests.
I am uncertain as to if I would stay here again, it would depend on the cost as I would certainly eat out more. I will never book the same two weeks due to their charitable and sporting events!

1 Thank GillBirkenhead

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
chester le street, co durham
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have been to benidorm many many times and stayed in various hotels. The Helios hotel is perfectly situated, close to bars and restaurants short stroll to beach, close to market. We went half board and found the food ok. Always something to eat. Pool area lovely. Rooms are in the process of being refurbished. 2 floors left to do i think. We requested a refurbished roomand were lucky enough to get one. Fabulous excellent quality furniture lovely comfy bed. Shower room massive and top class. New double glazing never heard as thing from outside even though close to clubs. Excellent sleep quality. Top class.

Room Tip: Request refurbished room, pool view. Fabulous rooms
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keegan99
Cleethorpes
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Helios, the room was excellent and clean, good balcony and views from the 8th floor. the Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was playing host to several Spanish football teams during our stay so the dining room was a bit noisy at times but not really a problem. Lovely pool area and music by the pool in the evenings. I would stay there again, it was so handy for the attractions in the Levante beach area and a short walk from the promenade.

Nuneaton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2011

Just got back from the helios hotel..what can i say, the rooms are very modern bathroom looked like something out of a glossy magazine, even had a jacuzzi !!! A flat screen tv on the wall with bbc 1 sky news. The towels were changed daily the room was cleaned everyday. everyone was so friendly from the cleaners to the receptionist. The food was plentifull some of the combinations were a bit strange and not always hot, but there was always something we liked. But i would go bed and breakfast next time as its so cheap to eat out. You could get a 3 course including wine for 8 euros. Never been to benidorm before as we were told it was for chavs, how wrong!! We had one of the best holidays ever. If you get the chance go and see Tony scott the comedian fantastic...
Thanks to a great hotel we have had a fantastic holiday..thanks thomson you did yourselfs proud again. we,ve booked for two weeks next year at the helios thats how good it was.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kimmark9
derbyshire
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed here with my partner and our 9 year old daughter in june.The hotel was lovely and clean ,staff were helpful and polite.Pool wasnt that big but my daughter loved it.They do take any towels from any bed that hasnt been used for an hour. Food was ok you could always find something to eat , but the food was never that hot.The market is just round the side of the hotel across the road.we had a walk to the old town which was nice.BUT we will not be going back to benidorm it was the dirtiest place i have ever been to abroad, ALSO i enjoy going out and having a drink and enjoying myself as much as the next person but the place was full of hen and stag parties and groups of drunk men and women shouting ( and they wasnt young they were all in their 40s). BENIDORM is not a place for a family holiday its more for singles.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank belladDerbyshire
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed at the Helios in Benidorm for two weeks at the end of June 2011. First the good part. The reception area was clean and tidy and check in was very easy and friendly. The rooms were spotless and large with maid servive every day. Sheets were changed twice a week and towels every day. The cleaners were very friendly and security minded. now for the bad bits. The food was very poor and every one was moaning about it . We only had one breakfast the whole fortnight and went out to eat most meals. The entertainment was also poor and all in spanish. The pool area was large and clean but they had a policy of taking your towels if you left them for more than 30 minutes but the problem was that the life guard removed the English towels as soon as you got up but left the Spanish towels. Benidorm itself was a great place with exelent entertainment. I would definatly go to Benidorm again but not to the Hotel Helios.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank jimdunn27
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

This is a long one but it may be worth taking the time to read it.

My wife retired from a school after 31 years; to celebrate we booked this hotel which we had seen the last time that we were on holiday in Benidorm. We thought that we would get away a little earlier than the English school holidays and miss the rush for the sun and sand by families.

We went with Thomson’s, unfortunately the cut backs have affected them like many others, we were shown to a bus when we landed, given a short speech by the Rep and sent on our merry way. Unfortunately the next time we seen the Rep is when we started to have problems some days later.

The hotel: - Is extremely clean throughout and located in a very good position, albeit a short stroll from the beach (aprox 8 mins). The bedrooms are large and in very good condition, having recently been refurbished. The public areas are also kept spotlessly clean. It is a nice hotel.

Staff: - All of the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Restaurant: - The restaurant is large and again like the hotel rooms is kept very clean, the staff and waitresses are very good in keeping your table tidy, the head waiter who sees you into the room is very curtious and helpful also. Unfortunately the hotel has decided to use “plastic” tablecloths, these take some getting used to, especially when your elbows are sticking to them at dinner !, but I can see the reasoning behind them using this type of covering, it obviously keeps costs down.

Food: - The food was defiantly aimed at the Spanish visitors (about 80% of it) with rabbit on the menu at least once, but there were of course other meats to choose from. One guest said that the hamburger she chose to eat wasn’t fully cooked; another said that they recall eating rabbit shortly after the war years!

There are obviously the run of the mill foods, chips, sausage, chips, pasta, chips and salads. Oh and I mustn’t forget chips of course. During our stay we did speak with the Rep about the type of food on offer, after which there was a slight improvement.

The bacon at breakfast had given up the will to live! If you’re local ASDA had it on offer, they would never sell any of it! even after doing that 2 for 1 thing.

The question is could you survive on the food, well if you are picky maybe not, as we spoke to a number of people who had actually gone out to eat elsewhere. I personally do not mind salad so that’s what I ate all week.

Is there room for improvement, yes the hotel need to get feedback (sorry for the pun!) and listen to the clients, because if they don’t then many past and possibly future Clients may decide to vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

Pool Area: - Great, sunbeds galore, there was no rush to be out there early (apart from my wife) because you could always get a bed. Sun starts at the far side of the pool early then moves around till it comes by the door to the pool area by 12 o’clock. Look out for the poor cat in the garden area, which has a facial issue.

Entertainment: - If you like Bird shows (2 nights) and very amateurish entertainment, then happy days, because that is what you get. It needs to improve.

The bad points:-

The first issue is very awkward to discus, but it needs mentioning.

When we arrived we noted a disabled lift adjacent to the pool, not an issue I thought until 30 or so disabled Spanish people came to use the pool area. Now I and my wife and I look after my 93 year old blind disabled mother so I am fully aware of the disability issues. But our point is, surely any guest booking into a “charity hotel” (as this one was defined initially by the Rep) should be told that the Hotel cater for a large number of disabled people. After which the holiday maker will make his or her choice whether to stay or not to stay at that particular hotel.

Secondly, we like other guest, arrived unbeknown to us on the week that there was a large football tournament taking place in Benidorm, and for the last three days of our stay, we had 100 young Spanish children in the hotel. Now remember the reason why we went on holiday at this particular time, YES to miss the mass of children!

Now recall those past holidays when you have been in your Spanish hotel, mainly at the weekends, when a couple of the local Spanish children come into your hotel to use the pool. Yes, screaming, dive bombing each other and generally making a nuisance of themselves, now times that 100 fold. YES one hundred children, mayhem daily, guest and young children had no option but to vacate the pool when they arrived.

The life guard, who looked much stressed, eventually had to call the in house security to sort it all out. Also, albeit we did not witness it, we were told that they were also throwing fruit off the balconies and into the pool and surrounding areas the night before. Apparently people had to move to the other side of the pool to watch the show.

Also when they all turned up in the restaurant of an evening, they were like a swarm of bees! The noise again was deafening, unruly is an understatement, there was no supervision at all. Unfortunately a number of them also decide to pick up bread rolls with their hands, ignoring the tongs supplied, and then proceeded to throw the rolls back into the baskets.

When we approached the Manager of the Hotel and the restaurant Manger about the children, to be fair to them, they both agreed that it was a problem.

Would we go again: - Strangely enough YES we would, it was a very nice clean hotel with very nice staff, spoilt by others. The food would have to improve for us and I would ensure that I asked those important and appropriate questions before I went also.

By the way, a tip, the Spanish school holidays start the end of June and are longer than the English holiday’s.

Room Tip: Keep to the lower floors, the same lift issue at meal time. All rooms are the same.
7 Thank Gordon P