“Great holiday! Will definitely stay at this hotel again!”

Hotel Helios Benidorm
Ranked #19 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We came back from Benidorm last week. All I can say, was that we had a great time there and will definitely go back! The reception staff greeted us kindly when we arrived and later on in the week, they even went a step further to phone an excursion company to find out what the prices were for some of the things to do around Benidorm. Very kind of them.
We were lucky to get a newly refurbished room with a view of the pool, so we got the afternoon sun on our balcony. The rooms were clean and tidy and very modern, with a flat screen TV and a double and single bed too. There was plenty of space to put our clothes when we unpacked. Bathroom was big and modern - powershower and whirlpool bath - was absolutely lovely! Cleaners came everyday and did a good job with the rooms and were very friendly to talk to, and you could trust them with not stealing your valuables. Balcony was big and lovely to sit down and drink wine in the afternoon sun.

We went down to the pool everyday because it was relaxing there and the poolwater was very clean. Only on the last couple of days of our holiday did the pool area get very busy with no sunbeds left, so we just had to sit on the chairs instead. If you want a sunbed, get down early (9am) before everyone else gets there. The bar next to the pool had staff who were very friendly and funny to talk to. We had a cocktail every day, and they were so tasty! Definitely try the mojito as they used mint leaves from the plant by the bar.

The food at the hotel restaurant wasn't varied enough in my opinion, and I read here that many people complained about the food. But, to be honest, if you're going to go to a different country, you should expect to find their food there and you should try something new, instead of expecting British food to be there. The food was nice, despite the lack of variety, and there was a salad bar everyday for the healthy people amongst you. However, the hotel had a cheeky policy of charging you for bread, yoghurts and fresh fruit that you decided to take. We didn't eat at the restaurant too often, as we wanted to experience the Spanish cuisine out in Benidorm instead.

We didn't stay for the evening entertainment at the hotel, as Benidorm's nightlife offered much more for us, but we passed by it on a few occasions, and the entertainment was mostly aimed at kids. Entertainment by the poolside during the day was aimed at kids and adults too, but we played waterpolo a few times, and we found that great fun to play!

As a young couple, Benidorm was the perfect place for us. The Hotel Helios was only around 500m from the clean beach, and about a mile away from the Old Town of Benidorm, which is a wonderful place to visit if you like cobbled streets, churches, and old-style Italian and Spanish restaurants. Benidorm has a great nightlife as well, with the Hotel being only a 5 minute walk away from the strip.

If I go to Costa Blanca again, I will definitely stay at the Hotel Helios in Benidorm. Excellent hotel with friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,861)

Reviewed 21 July 2011

A bit long, but worth a read for tips on Benidorm!

My partner and I (25 & 26) have just got back from the helios hotel where we went for a relaxing holiday to celebrate my b'day. I know Benidorm has a bad reputation, largely due to the TV show and the way it used to be back in the 70s when it was one of the first holiday resorts, believe me, when i told people where i was going, they all turned their noses up, but please don't listen to these negative reviews, most people haven't even visited!

Check in was swift and staff were friendly. As with most Spaniards, they appreciate you at least attempt a bit of the lingo, even if it's 'hola' or your room number, but they all spoke great English and were so friendly. We asked for a room overlooking the pool as we'd read these were more modern, not a problem! The bathroom was fantastic- not the largest, but big enough with a wide sink, so you can both stand there and brush your teeth without fighting over who's going in first! There's a bath with jacuzzi setting, shower head over bath (although not very high up for us on the tall side) and loo, all modern. Maids come every day and change towels too if you want them to.

Beds comfortable, air con very powerful but doesn't work with balcony door open. It did break once, as did toilet, but we called reception and it was fixed very quickly. Our rep, Peter also said that if you tell him, he'll pass the message on and it'll get repaired even quicker as they can sometimes forget!
Our Thomson welcome meeting was the next afternoon and Peter was great, telling us where to go for good tapas bars in the old town and the best bit of beach.
Hotel is about an 8 min walk down the long stretch of road, where you have to then cross a busy road, but this is very safe, lined with shops etc too such as high st store mango, a bit further down. The beach is lovely with golden sand and palm trees and has won numerous awards for cleanliness as well as having millions spent on it apparently! If you keep on walking to the right (if looking at the ocean), down the promenade, you'll reach the old town, about a 15 min walk, with cobbled streets and shops, restaurants, tapas bars etc. I thought it'd be really far away but it's really not and it's a pleasant walk. here you'll find top quality shoe and clothes shops, the body shop, zara etc, not just tacky tourist shops. Quite busy around here at night, but felt safe all the time.
When i go abroad i like to get involved with the spanish culture, and as i previously said, people think benidorm's full of chavs and hen parties...maybe in the British bit (which is where helios is situated, but most of these are tucked away in the back streets away from the hotel), but in the old town and along the sea front, it's spanish all the way! To be honest, i hardly saw/heard any Brits, it was mainly spanish families/couples who were all a mixture of ages. I recommend a tapas restaurant called 'LN' down San Miguel street (red & black sign to shop) who serve it at your table and not just at the bar with a drink, they have an excellent vegetarian choice and the owner was fantastic!

Always lots going on day and night on the beach, with fantastic sand sculptures, water skiing, boating trips etc. We booked the valencia day trip with Thomson for about 30 euros each which was good and informative.
Food at hotel was great with English breakfast & fresh eggs being cooked in front of you, there was cereal, drinks dispenser, croissants, cakes, biscuits etc (breakfast) and for dinner, sliced meats, broccoli cheese, hot food and pickled cold food and salad. I'm vegetarian so not much choice for me, but good enough, don't know why people say the choice is rubbish! If i ate meat, i'd be completely satisfied! Our rep also said if you ask the chef, they can cook something specific, but we preferred to eat out most nights as there's so much choice of authentic spanish food in the old town. Lots of chilled out clubs/bars too on the seafront doing cocktails etc, nothing too loud, so suitable for all really. (can be very busy on saturday though). Ice cream parlours are open into the night and shops til about 11-12pm.
Hotel bar was open til 1.30am so it was nice to go back there after being out, entertainment was still on at this time with music playing etc.
Pool area was clean, nice sized pool, mixture of spanish, British and europeans. Not sure why people complain about it being full of spanish...er, it's spain and they go on holiday too! Also not true about the staff treating you differently, as long as you don't kick up a fuss over anything stupid like the lady next to me in the buffet queue: "the cauliflower's cold!!!" ... "yes, because it's pickled", then they'll be fine with you!
There are 3 lifts and we never had to wait long at all, one would always come straight away and we went in high season.

the hotel's quite large with lots of seating in reception, around the pool etc and has free wi-fi (ask for code at reception) as well as computers with internet which charge in the 'welcome meeting room'.
Would definitely go back next year but may choose a hotel closer to old town, although it only cost about 5 euros for a taxi and walk wasn't far either. If you're into clubbing, then the hotel is close to all this, with the red lion just a few metres down the road where we saw 'sticky vicky'! Hotel's far away enough from the thick of it though to not have any noise. Staff go out of their way to help - my bf bought a cake for my birthday and the staff were kind enough to bring it to our room and sing happy birthday to me!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool, these are modern with jacuzzi bath!
2  Thank a_la_mode_86
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Firstly can I just say that you get what you want from Benidorm, if you want quiet you can usually find it. I and my husband have been and enjoyed the resort many times staying at various hotels. As with previous reviews I would add to the fact that the Helios is clean and the rooms are modern.
However the food is not the best, the breakfast is one of the worse I have experienced.
We arrived here on the second of July and returned on the 16th. Thomson as a holiday company need to clean up their act, you are basically dumped. As also mentioned from the holiday maker from Liverpool who I remember, teams of Spanish teenage and younger football players were not what we paid £1,400 to listen to. I also fell on the stairs after gangs of them traipsed through the hotel soaking. They were rude and held little regard for those around. This is The Costa Blanca Cup time so beware when booking.
The hotel caters in the main for Spanish guests.
I am uncertain as to if I would stay here again, it would depend on the cost as I would certainly eat out more. I will never book the same two weeks due to their charitable and sporting events!

1  Thank GillBirkenhead
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I have been to benidorm many many times and stayed in various hotels. The Helios hotel is perfectly situated, close to bars and restaurants short stroll to beach, close to market. We went half board and found the food ok. Always something to eat. Pool area lovely. Rooms are in the process of being refurbished. 2 floors left to do i think. We requested a refurbished roomand were lucky enough to get one. Fabulous excellent quality furniture lovely comfy bed. Shower room massive and top class. New double glazing never heard as thing from outside even though close to clubs. Excellent sleep quality. Top class.

Room Tip: Request refurbished room, pool view. Fabulous rooms
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keegan99
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We enjoyed our stay at the Helios, the room was excellent and clean, good balcony and views from the 8th floor. the Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was playing host to several Spanish football teams during our stay so the dining room was a bit noisy at times but not really a problem. Lovely pool area and music by the pool in the evenings. I would stay there again, it was so handy for the attractions in the Levante beach area and a short walk from the promenade.

Reviewed 17 July 2011

Just got back from the helios hotel..what can i say, the rooms are very modern bathroom looked like something out of a glossy magazine, even had a jacuzzi !!! A flat screen tv on the wall with bbc 1 sky news. The towels were changed daily the room was cleaned everyday. everyone was so friendly from the cleaners to the receptionist. The food was plentifull some of the combinations were a bit strange and not always hot, but there was always something we liked. But i would go bed and breakfast next time as its so cheap to eat out. You could get a 3 course including wine for 8 euros. Never been to benidorm before as we were told it was for chavs, how wrong!! We had one of the best holidays ever. If you get the chance go and see Tony scott the comedian fantastic...
Thanks to a great hotel we have had a fantastic holiday..thanks thomson you did yourselfs proud again. we,ve booked for two weeks next year at the helios thats how good it was.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kimmark9
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I stayed here with my partner and our 9 year old daughter in june.The hotel was lovely and clean ,staff were helpful and polite.Pool wasnt that big but my daughter loved it.They do take any towels from any bed that hasnt been used for an hour. Food was ok you could always find something to eat , but the food was never that hot.The market is just round the side of the hotel across the road.we had a walk to the old town which was nice.BUT we will not be going back to benidorm it was the dirtiest place i have ever been to abroad, ALSO i enjoy going out and having a drink and enjoying myself as much as the next person but the place was full of hen and stag parties and groups of drunk men and women shouting ( and they wasnt young they were all in their 40s). BENIDORM is not a place for a family holiday its more for singles.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family