“Don't go there”

Servigroup Pueblo Benidorm
Ranked #32 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Reviewed 6 June 2010

We stayed there one week beginning of May 2010. On arrival, which was after 11.30 we had to wait 20 minutes to check in while the receptionist had a private converstion with a Spanish guest. He totally ignored us and other arriving guests.
We paid half board for 7 nights but got only 6 evening meals. We asked about this, but no alternative was offered. They were not interested.
I can also confirm that the Spanish guests were just as rude as mentioned in previous comments.
The staff even allowed a drunk UK stag party to enter the evening restuarant, inappropriately dressed, shouting and swearing.
We were on the seventh floor where the renovation work was going on.
The hammering, drilling,and shouting started from 8.00 am and was still going on at 8.00 pm.
On this site you have to have to rate the hotel. I would give it a minus if the option was there.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Geordie94
Write a ReviewReviews (2,304)

Reviewed 29 May 2010

just got back from a weeks stay at the pueblo benidorm. after visiting benidorm twice a year for the last 15 years this last hoiday has really put me off ever going back now. when we arrived at the hotel we was kept in a que to check in for about an hour. reason being that spanish quests kept walking up to the desk and pushing in. i was travelling with my disabled mother and a 14 month baby. after finally checking in we went to our room in the main block to discover there was no cot and the bathroom only had a shower and no way to bath a baby. had to go back to reception and wait another 20 mins to be faced with a snotty woman that couldnt be bothered to give us another room. the manager came over and we was finally moved to another room which was bigger and was meant to sleep 3 people so they werent happy loosing a bigger room to us. we went down for some lunch we struggled to find a free table as the restaurant was packed even though half of the restaurant was blocked off as there was building work going on (whislt the restaurant was open!!!). we had to sit on a big table as there was no room but we found it soon filled up with spanish sat around us. i got my baby a child seat to find all of these were broken and unsafe to use so my baby had to eat all her meals in her pram. the spanish staff were so rude and would look at us like we were a pain in the bum to them. they would squeeze past my daughter when there was no need they could of walked round the table. one lady even spilt hot coffee on my baby squeezing past. the staff started pyshyically moving my pram so they could get through. i was so mad!! the food was ok but nothing amazing. great if you love fish or pialla or if your just spanish in general. english people was a rare thing at this hotel and all the spanish seemed to be very rude. there was also lots of building work going on from first thing till 9pm so couldnt get my baby to have a little sleep in the afternoon. my disabled mother fell in the bath trying to get out as the hand rail is so high up the wall you cant reach. she was in pain all week with bruised ribs. i could go on and on with the problems i found with this hotel the one good thing i would say is the indoor pool was lovely and warm but you have to be very careful getting in as its very slippery and no lifeguard around. please think twice about booking this hotel if you are english. this is very much a hotel for the spanish and i didnt meet one english person there that could say they had enjoyed it!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank lauren6741
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Just got back from hotel Pueblo and was really surprised considering some of the reviews and pictures they don't do the hotel much justice!! there was 11 of us all in all on a hen weekend, hotel was lovely friendly staff food was ok but i have never seen a pool so empty as it was soooo cold, i would recommend this hotel for couples rather than hen/stags as it is full of older people and spanish older people, but we never had any complaints from them we got dressed up and went into the bar b4 we went out and most people wanted pics with us! they were really friendly! The bar is BOGOF too, so is a bit of a bonus!! Rooms a bit small but we coped with 4 in 2 and 3 in 1 it is close to the main square and about 10 min walk from beach would stay again but probably in 40 years time!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2010

Our holiday was from 6/4/10 until 13/04/10 - Having read a mixture of reviews I was a bit worried but was pleasantly surprised, we choose this hotel as it had an indoor swimming pool and as I was travelling with my 72 year old mother and two daughters aged 7 and 11 I thought that if it rained at least they would have something to do. The sun shone up until the day we departed but the outdoor pools were too cold to use, we did use the indoor pool everyday..... The other great thing about this hotel is the market is a short walk around the corner and is on twice a week (Weds and Sun). The rooms were small but we had booked two but I ended up with three single beds in mine which was a bit tight but they did fit. The beds were hard but I like that and was comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank DragonDragon
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Just back from a 4 night break at the Pueblo & I can safely say I've never been so tired after a stay at a hotel nor have I ever wanted to get back home to the UK before - this was a first for me!

The Pueblo is a decent enough hotel - the food, as other reviewers have pointed out, was excellent. The staff on the whole were friendly and helpful. The rooms & public areas were very clean too.

The problems began on night one - and carried on each night until we left. The problem - NOISE. I know that Benidorm is not a quiet place but by the end of our stay, the hotel was 99% populated with Spanish guests, and, let's face it, they're not the quietest of nations!

When we arrived we were placed into Block 5, an annexe block at the rear of the hotel near the childrens play area & the indoor pool. These blocks are all built the same around a light-well and as a result noise echoes throughout the block. Unfortunately for us we appeared to have the families from hell in ours - and they carried out shouting, screaming & running up & down stairs until well into the early hours. We had to call reception to tell them that a group of teenagers were demolishing the kids play area at about midnight - these same teenagers were staying in our block & proceeded to spend the next couple or hours running up & down the stairs shouting & screeching to each other - and their parents appeared completely oblivious to this.

I went to reception the next morning to ask to be moved to another room - of course they had none available (do they ever when you ask this question)...

After a lovely but tiring day relaxing by the pool & on the beach, we returned to our room after dinner to get ready to head out into Benidorm, only to find that there were new residents in the room next door - who were taking shouting to a new level. Now given that I was travelling with my kids, aged 6 & 8, we decided that enough was enough and went to reception to get moved. After dealing with an extremely arrogant & unhelpful night manager we did get moved, and to a much better room. But in the midst of this we saw some of the other rooms in the hotel & yes, they are VERY small so beware when booking a family room!

We ended up in block 7 - and in a self-catering suite, which was much more spacious. This though took most of the evening to sort & by the time we were in the room, it was gone midnight so we decided to try & get some sleep...which we did until about 6.30am when the guests above us decided to walk from room to room in what sounded like very high, metallic stilletos - queue another day of trying to keep our eyes open & enjoying what we could without crashing headfirst into our meals or drinks!

It got worse though. By day 3 of our break the hotel had filled to capacity with Spanish guests - I'd say that 99% of the guests were Spanish - and the noise levels were cranked up accordingly in our block. Worse was to come though. At the back of the hotel - about 250m away was another large tower block - looked like apartments and these filled up with what I can only describe as students on the spanish version of spring-break. The noise that was coming from these apartments was horrendous. Loud music, massive fireworks, screaming, shouting and megaphones (yes!) which went on every night until about 6/7am.

So I'm writing this review utterly shattered, wishing that I'd been able to enjoy the Pueblo more. It IS a nice enough hotel but our experience over the past few days has been enough to safely say I'd never go there again - and unfortunately it's also meant that my perception of the Spanish has changed too - they may complain about the British & their behaviour but what we've seen over the past few days has led me to think that they're not completely innocent either!

That said, Benidorm at this time of year was great, not busy, weather was great and I'd definitely return at this time of year - but not to the Pueblo I'm afraid!!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank OliversArmy
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We stayed in this resort last Week (February half-term) with our two teenage children.
Having compared the exact same holiday with two major UK tour operators (except airlines), we decided to plan and book everything ourselves, saving over £600 in the process:

Flights via Easyjet
Airport car park via APH
Hotel via ASDA Travel
Airport transfers via Resort Hopper

Accommodation

We stayed in room 7102 on the 1st floor in annex 7. The main building is where the hotel entrance is. There are several annex buildings around the pool areas, all within minutes from reception.

As there were four in our party, we were allocated two adjoining rooms. These were of average size with two single beds in either room, joined via a hall way. Each room had plenty of built-in wardrobe space, so much so that we didn't use it all. There was a wall mounted small movable lamp above each bed that could be operated from the bed or via a switch near the door. A portable TV was provided in each room also and the TV remote was included free of charge, despite a sign in reception stating a 10 euro hire charge. A sofa was provided in one of the rooms, although it did not make into a bed, not that we needed it.

The bathroom had a proper bath with integrated shower cubicle, twin sinks, bide, and toilet. No wall mounted hair dryer is provided, so bring your own, unless you want to hire one from reception for 10 euros. Satchets of shampoo and bath oils, etc and provided every day, along with fresh towels. We found that leave a Euro or two on a pillow as a tip increased the quality of cleaning and freebies in our rooms.

An electronic safe is provided in one of the bedroom wardrobe cupboards for a few euros per day. You are provided with a small key and padlock.

A purple coloured room key with the ServiGroup logo on it was provided per person. This is a credit type card, which you slot into the entrance door to gain access. The same type of card is also required to place into a gadget on the wall inside the room to activate the electricity, lights, etc.

An iron and ironing board is available to hire charge from reception upon request, although we brought our own.

Food & Drink

We had the Full Board option and upon arrival you are allocated a small folded cardboard credit-card size ID card for your party stating check-in, check-out date/times and timings for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

There is one restaurant serving buffet food. Breakfast every day is from 07:30 - 09:30. The options were the same every day and as with all food ranged from healthy to unhealthy. Scrambled & fried eggs, english sausages, baked beans, crispy streaky bacon, etc.

There was also an omlette station where you could order at no extra charge. This station is often over looked by guests as it is in the far side of the restaurant. Fresh fruit is available, along with traditional spanish breakfast (e.g. cold meats and cheese) and pastries. Toast can be cooked by yourself with white or wholemeal bread. Drinks are self-service via a machine (orange squash, water, tea and coffee). Apple juice and milk was also available, as was hot chocolate (near the omlette station). On some Mornings, champagne was made available. Breakfast was the only sitting where drinks was included as part of your meal.

For Lunch (13:00 - 15:00) and Dinner (19:00 - 21:00) , various hot and cold buffet options are available. There was a potato option (mash, chips, boiled, etc). Chips was available at most sittings, as was pizza. Two options of soup were available. Desserts were a creation in themselves and available in numerous options, including an ice-cream and fresh cream machine.

Menus for the day are advertised in the Morning, so you can quite easily choose whether to eat-in or out for that sitting.

For fussy eaters, you have your staple junk food (burgers, hot dogs, fries, chicken nuggets, etc), but there are at least three choices per day of vegtables and again you can eat as healthy, unhealthy as you choose. There was always at least one pasta options, along with pizza and paella (via a large pan).

Parents with fussy eating children or vegetarians may find themselves restricted to the one or two options.

Overall we found the food to be superior considering the masses that we being served. Nothing was allowed to sit for too long before being replaced even if there was a large amount still left.

Lunch and Evening buffet drinks were table served and charged. We tipped a few euros per sitting which you can either leave at the table or in the basket by the entrance, the latter being shared amongst all the restaurant staff equally. A small peice of paper is provided at the restaurant entrance for lunch and dinner with your room number on. Once seated, a waiter/waitress will take your drinks order from a menu on the table. As you leave the restaurant, you pay for your drinks. Note: drinks taken with food are NOT part of the 2 for 1 deal ServiGroup are offering. Hence, we restricted ourselves to bottled water out of principal. Wine and champagne can be purchased with your meal. Any unused bottles can be corked and identified for use with later meals throughout your stay.

The hotel must offer deals for the older Spanish as upon our arrival on Saturday, it was like feeding the 5000 at lunch and very hard to move around. They were mostly gone by the Sunday though and the restaurant seating area was reduced to half the room size. It was Valentines Weekend, but the same thing happened the following Saturday Morning.

Snacks are available from the bar area every day The choice was burger, hot dog, fries, pizza, desserts and ham/cheese toasties.

Picnics for lunch and breakfast can be ordered the day before via reception .

A bar is available right next to the main pool, but was closed during our visit as it was low season.

Drinks are branded or non-branded local produce, the choice yours, you are paying. ServiGroup reintroduced the 2 for 1 offer throughout the hotel during our stay. For every drink you buy (except tea and coffee) another one exactly yhe same is provided free of charge. Prices were reasonable.

The was another bar in the room opposite where the nightly entertainment was, although this was closed most nights.

Hotel Services

There were TVs in both bars, including a projector screen which showed all the major sports, especially football. The bar appeared to be more crowded during the football, I guess as it can also be accessed by those staying outside the hotel, the 2 for 1 offer brought them in.

There was an outside theatre opposite the main pool, but this was not in use as it was off-season.

The arcade was of average quality. It can be accessed from inside and outside the hotel, although the inside door only works one way. Once you are in, you have to leave the hotel via two sets of steps and back in via reception or the bar.

NOTE: Parents please note the above, especially if you have young children.

A gool deal of the games machines could do with an update (Time Crisis 2, etc), but there were two air hockey machines, several pool tables and a good sized internet cafe. There are several bowl-lingo lanes, but these need to be updated and it took us three attempts before we could find a lane that worked.

Daytime entertainment is arranged by a very pleasant Guy called Jose. It was advertsed for every day (see the board outside both bars which show you whats on for the Week ahead). It may be an off-season thing, but nothing is arranged for Wednesday (and Sunday I think?), then Thursday and Friday were suddenly blanked out without warning. I guess this decision was made due to the low client numbers staying in the hotel, but a shame all the same.

Evening entertainment was confined to an inside bar area and ran from various times, generally 09:00pm until late. Magic John was on Saturday (a good magic show). Other entertainment was of average quality and geared towards the older Spanish residents, but hey, let's face it, Benidorm is the place to come for cabaret, so go outside the hotel for that!

The main pool is in a good location and central to the main building and the surrounding annexs. It was far too cold to use during our stay (not that it stopped my Son and I foolishly trying it out!) Next to the pool is a smaller pool and spa pool, although after the trying the main pool we didn't dare try them.

The saving grace and one of the reasons why we booked this hotel is the provision of an indoor heated pool. This was accessible right next door to annex 7 and is open from 08:30 - 20:30 every day. The pool temperature is kept between 75 - 82F, although on some days it felt colder. Size of the pool is average, but we would have been lost without it. Changing and toilet factilities are provided with the indoor pool room (Male and Female), along with sun loungers and chairs. There were patio doors enclosing the indoor pool, so I guess these can be opened during the warmer months.

There was a small childrens splash area next to the outdoor pool

A ping-pong table is next to outside pool and theatre. Bats and a ball available from reception, but you need to leave a 10 euro deposit. There were also a couple of pool tables in the same place, but these were soaked due to the rain we had.

English newspapers and magazine can be purchased from a machine next to reception. The is also a cash machine next to it.

Out and about

We went to the local market (open on Sunday and Wednesday) which is within minutes of the Hotel itself. As you come out of the main entrance, turn right and the market is literally behind the hotel . The infamous potato men where on the pavement doing their tricks (complete with a Rodney Trotter type look out), but we simply crossed the road and that was that. The market itself is what you'd expect (tat, hand bags, scarves, men giving demos on cleaning products, etc). Nothing special, but killed few hours.

Valor Chocolate factory is a good day out. It was advertised by the Thomson rep in the hotel at 14.90 euro per adult and 8.90 euro per Children, so for us it would have cost almost 60 euros. We walked into town and got the bus to the train station, then the tram into Villa Joyosa (get off the stop before Cruela?), for the total cost of 18 euros for the whole Family. Entry into the chocolate factory is free of charge. As you leave the station, keep the local police station on your right and the factory is five minutes walk on the left-hand side.

We wanted to visit Benidorm Island, but the boat trips were cancelled due to rain.

Shopping

Benidorm is shopping-tat paridise and my kids were in their element. Most shops seemed to carry the same "gifts" though, but there were some good deals to be had if you looked.

Benidorm Entertainment

This is THE place for evening entertainment every day of the Week, year round. We saw comics, dancers, singers, with even the smallest venue providing entertainment. Most of it starts at 21:30, some later after bingo. Things must be bad in Benidorm as the streets are littered with people touting for business, 2 for 1 drink deals, Happy Hours, set menus, etc. It's a tourists dream if you shop around.

One last item of note is that Benidorm suffers from not having ANY public toilets (although some are supposed to be opening in June), so don't get caught short ;)
Happy to take questions

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
15  Thank Mr_Investigator
Reviewed 13 February 2010

just come back from this good hotel and wished i had another week here. the staff were very polite and always spoke to you when they saw you.
checking in was a bit slow but there was only one person behind reception as it was evening.
the food was excellent and you had a great choice. there was always someone cooking fresh meat in evening and fried eggs in the morning
the rooms was always clean and tidy, but the beds were a bit hard but you got used to it.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo