“Another fantastic holiday.”

Ranked #46 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Another fantastic holiday.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This was our second visit to the Flamingo Oasis (we re-booked 3 weeks after we returned home last year) we came back after last years fantastic experience. As again the hotel was spotless with cleaners making sure the place was very clean, the reception staff and bar staff were friendly and professional, as were the restaurant staff. We arrived about 12:30pm and were met with a glass of wine while we were in the Q to get our key cards which was a nice touch. We requested a low floor and were allocated a room on the 3rd floor. The room was the same as last years 2 beds and 2 sofa beds. The famous 'sunbed run' is funny to see but i didn't really want to be beside the pool (don't want to continually get splashed) so we sauntered down about 5 mins after and got spaces to the right hand side of the stage (it's nearer the Laguna bar and toilets). There is plenty of choice in the Azure restaurant has plenty of choice on offer and hold regular theme nights. The only fault i could find was the lamb, it was very grizzley and not too nice. But everything was spot on and i may have helped myself to a 2nd helping :-) For me the highlight was roast chicken, gravy and chips, a simple meal but the chicken was lovely. Breakfast has all the usual suspects sausage bacon eggs (fried, scrambled,boiled), mushrooms, tomatoes, continental breakfasts as well as cold meats and cheese and fruits. There is also a toast machine with butter, marg (not Simpson), jams and marmalades. Food is also available in the Laguna bar but is mainly snack foods, burgers, chicken wings/nuggets, skewers, onion rings, chips, wedges. the laguna bar has a policy of shoes on and no food in the pool area, simple rules but some people dont want to do this!! Just follow the rules and stop giving your countrymen a bad reputation!! The rooms are large enough for 4 and are cleaned everyday by friendly staff, you can request a fridge in your room but its 35e per week for a basic soft drinks package which includes, 2 cans of orange,lemon,pepsi and 4 bottles of water and gets re-filled once a week! a wee bit expensive for an all inclusive hotel!! The beer and spirits are not as strong as what you get in outside bars but imagine a hotel full of pissed people!!! Onto the best bit about the hotel...The Entertainment staff, it starts about 11:30am with activities such as Quizzes, water gym, french bowls, football, then after that at 12:30pm we have the 'Flamigames' these whacky games are simple but really funny and you can win the world famous 'Flamingo Oasis T-shirt'. Games such as throw the bouquet behind you into a target, catch the stick, spit the ice-cube (not the rap singer), catch a ball in a bucket on your head, paper airplane flying, amongst others. There are activites for everyone children, teens and adults. The adult activities starts at 3pm with air rifle shooting, archery, darts, water polo, killer pool. I joined in most of them apart from the water polo (cant swim). Then on the Saturday they have Guests V's Entertainers its involves all activities shooting, darts, archery and water polo and gets very competitive :-D At night the entertainment starts at 8:30pm with the kids mini disco then about 9:15 the games start, Play your cards right and the quiz were on before the main entertainment came on at 10pm. The main shows were brilliant, Grease, Blues brothers, Hollywood nights were among the ones that remain in my memory, there was Dirty dancing as well. The entertainment staff are brilliant and work very hard both in having fun with guests and working on the evening show. A special mention has to go to Dan of the Entertainment team as he really makes the place rock. A final bit to say is there seems to be a lot of returning guests and we will be one of them, that in itself tells you something. We will be back.

Room Tip: I've heard lower floors can have problems with smells from the drains and we did experience this...
12 Thank Doolybhoy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,320)
  • Polish first
Fife
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Sorry for the long winded review, but I believe in giving an honest opinion on every aspect of the holiday - not just the hotel.

We stayed at the Flamingo Oasis the first 2 weeks in July. Having made the mistake of reading reviews on TripAdvisor for previous holidays, we decided not to read any before we went this time and to be honest, I'm glad I didn't as having read some now, I may have thought twice about going.

I am glad to say however that we had a fantastic time. Upon arrival we received a welcome drink and were checked into the hotel in good time. We then had to wait to have our photograph taken for our All Inclusive card. This is what you had to carry at all times with you when you wanted a drink or to enter the dining hall. It also doubled as your room key.

We were on the 18th floor which is some trek but luckily there are 6 lifts, however once you've been there a few days you will soon find out that it's just pot luck when these lifts arrive at your floor. They are usually cleaned first thing in the morning so getting down to breakfast can take some time. If you stay on the upper floors of the hotel which are the Club Suits then the lifts automatically go to them before they come to you!

The room was very nice, lots of wardrobe space, TV, balcony, bathroom with bath, shower, two sinks, toilet and bidet. We had a double bed, a single bed and one of the seats had been made into another single bed. I was a bit disappointed at this as we had upgraded to a slightly better room and I was expecting normal beds, however I was assured by my daughter that it was very comfortable!

I have read quite a few reviews here on TripAdvisor about this hotel and unfortunately I have to agree with a few of them. The situation regarding the sunbeds is remarkable. Because the pool area doubles as the entertainment area in the evening, the sunbeds are removed after 7pm which means that in the morning you have to get your own. The pool area is not open until 8.45am and the queues start to form very early - round about 7.30am or earlier. It's very amusing watching them run out the doors when they are told they can - the same people at the front running for the same area. I have to say, I did join the queue a few mornings but only at 8.30am - I managed to get a decent spot but I think if you leave it much later in the day you are struggling - bear in mind this was only the beginning of July. I would hate to see it in August! There are also many people who come down early to secure their place but do not turn up until later in the afternoon - this is frowned upon in many hotels I have stayed in and usually if you do not occupy your sunbed for 30 mins, they remove your stuff - however, that is not the case here. There are a few shaded areas around the pool with trees and a few fixed parasols but there are no parasols that you can move to your sunbed area.

The pool is a reasonable size and was always clean. However, there are a lot of drinks spilled during the day and it never fails to amaze me just how ignorant and unpleasant people can be - just throwing their plastic cups to the ground once they are finished instead of picking it up and putting it in the bin.

The pool snack bar is quite good offering a good selection from 11.30 until 6.30pm.

The main dining area is very clean and we never had to wait any more than a few minutes to be seated. Despite other people's comments, I thought the food was quite good and the main thing was that it was piping hot - not something you come across very often being all inclusive. The choices weren't in abundance but we always found something to eat. The roast chicken at lunchtime was a particular favourite.

Now on to the entertainment. During the day time, the entertainment staff would be round the pool from 11.30 giving you the chance to join in some adult and teenager games. This could be football, darts, pool, water polo, water basket, etc. Then at 12.30 they did what they called the Flamigame. They had one for the adults and one for the kids. It was a good bit of fun to start the day. They then came back in the afternoon for some more games and sports. They wander round the pool trying to get people to join in but are not in your face, which is good.

We thought the evening entertainment was excellent. The entertainment staff worked very hard on the shows they put on - sometimes they mimed along to stuff, sometimes they sang live, but whatever they did it was done at 100%. Dan, Julian, Peter, Vodka, Monica, Bo, Timi and whoever I've forgotten (I apologise!) - a huge well done. Very professional and very funny.

There were also some acts brought in - the usual Snake Show and Parrot Show which I've seen a thousand times. A Michael Jackson tribute, a Bee Gees tribute to name a few. However, the one I particularly liked was a duo called Timeless.

As I said earlier, the pool area doubles as the evening entertainment area. This is what I had most of a problem with. There were lots of very young children just left to wander about by their parents and the pool was very close - it could be an accident waiting to happen. The other issue I had was that because the kids were running around all the time and the adults were sitting drinking, the drinks were kicked and spilled all over the ground which meant that most of the time you were sitting with your feet in someone's mess. It was awful.

Benidorm itself is somewhere you will either love or hate. Me - I loved it. I didn’t know what to expect but I loved the high buildings and the hustle and bustle of it. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the shops and nightlife which was fine for us. There are plenty of shops, restaurants and things to do if you choose. The beach was about a further 5 minutes away, easy to walk as it's all flat. The beach is beautiful and goes on for miles. It's 4 Euros to hire a sunbed and 4 Euros for a parasol. Once you're down at the beach you can walk all the way along into Old Benidorm. It will take you about 20-25 minutes but it's lovely just strolling along the front.

There is also a market on a Sunday and Wednesday - if you stay at the back of the hotel you will be able to see it over to the left hand side from your balcony - well worth a visit. I managed to pick up to "designer" bags for under 20 Euros each!

We took a trip to the Aqualandia Waterpark. Unfortunately my husband wasn't very well that day so it didn't turn out how we had planned and I also had a bit of an accident on the zip line - however, all in all it was a good day. There is a nice big area for little kiddies to play in and a huge lagoon area with Jacuzzis for the adults and older kids. There are many slides and if you're a bit of a daredevil then you need to try Vertigo. The only downside to this waterpark is that it's salt water, not very nice if you're flying down a huge slide with your mouth open!

We also took a trip to the Algar Waterfall. I would certainly recommend you to look around outside the hotel to see if you can pick this up elsewhere. I believe the falls are only about a 20 minute bus journey away however on the Thomsons trip you are on the bus for about an hour before you get there and then you only have about an hour there before you come home. It would have been nice to have been able to spend more time lazing around and swimming.

I would definitely return to Benindorm in the future - although I don't think I would choose to go all inclusive again. We found many restaurants offering deals that were very reasonable - in fact, there's a British put on the opposite side of the road from the hotel offering breakfast at one Euro, which worked out about 80p!

The Flamingo Oasis is a good hotel and we certainly enjoyed our stay there. Read the reviews and make your own mind up - remember some people do like to moan about things that aren't always necessarily an issue for others.

Room Tip: Pool facing could be noisy at night with the entertainment. Rear facing could be noisy at night wit...
12 Thank Bluefifer
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Pro's -
Clean, clean clean - I was able to eat everything (including seafood) without the slightest concern. To put this into perspective the last time I stayed at an AI hotel I ended up receiving jags as I was so unwell with Gastroenteritis so trust me the standard of cleanliness and freshly prepared food is outstanding.
The rooms were spotless and cleaned every day.

Entertainment - Excellent. It is obvious that a lot of work goes into the shows at night and Dan ensures that there are many laughs along the way with natural comedic timing.

Food - Great choice in the restaurant for the adults. The kids preferred the pool bar for most food which also provided freshly made to order food.

Cons -
RECEPTION MANAGER -Although not the be all and end all I found the reception manager to be rude and offhand with his remarks. I had paid a lot of money for this hotel which specifically states that all rooms have a pool view.......this is not the case and be aware that if you ask beforehand to have a low floor you will more than likely be put overlooking the car park!! I did manage to get this changed after a lot of fuffing, tutting and waiting on instruction. I was also informed that it was because I had requested a low floor - make requests at your pearl!!
NO FREE WI-FI - In a 4 star hotel I would expect free wifi.
SUN-BED run - see utube

As you can see minor cons. A fantastic hotel, ideal location close to beach, waterpark, circus and mundomar with tons of fun activities for all to join in as much, or as little, as you like.

Room Tip: higher floor as you have great views and will find it easier to get in the lifts as they were always...
2 Thank shawster500
Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Came home yesterday after 2 week stay from 12th July 2014 with husband and 5 year old daughter. Overall had a lovely holiday but was looking forward to coming home towards the end of the second week! Found the hotel quite monotonous! However, positives first! The hotel is extremely clean. Everywhere. It is a very tightly run ship like I have never seen before! And it needs to be what with some of the guests leaving dirty nappies etc by the pool - gross. The bedrooms are brilliant. Large, clean, maids fabulous, clean towels etc... No complaints at all. Food is excellent. Always hot, good quality, plenty of choice, refilled immediately and absolutely no issues at all. Shame there was not more Spanish dishes though! We stayed by the pool one day then didn't bother again. Like most hotels in benidorm they are tall, hold a lot of people but do not have the land to support the amount of guests, hence pool too small and in my view boring. Packed in like sardines with sorry to say some unsavoury guests was not our cup of tea. No room to swim, splash around. Plus I like to get out and not stay in the hotel for two weeks which would drive me mad. So we went to the beach most days which in my view is what holidays are all about, you can lay by a pool anywhere. The beach is fifteen minutes walk, gorgeous but has random rocks as you walk out. But loved it! Meeting different people every time and nationalities etc, riding the waves and spotting fish! We therefore ate our lunch out everyday also so did not get bored with the hotel restaurant as others have said.
Entertainment is good. My daughter used the Thomson kids club and loved it especially the choc and pajama party! The hotel mini disco was the same every night and after the first week she got bored. We only stayed up to watch the adult entertainment twice and it seemed ok, they put in a bloody good effort. Can't comment on day entertainment as we were out.
Went on a boat trip to peacock island where we saw three peacocks in a cage!!! But it was nice as I love boat trips. Also visited Mundomar and my daughter and I did the dolphin experience which was excellent. The dolphin show was also very good.
There are some daft rules in the hotel and it is a bit like school but I suppose due to some of clientele they feel they need to keep tight reigns. Eg 2 queues for hot and cold drinks. So my husband queued with one other to get me a coffee then had to join another queue at the same bar right next to the first one with twenty people in it yo get a coke!!! So queuing twice helps keep the queues down does it? Mmmmm! Anyway it's a minor annoyance.
We enjoyed our break and I would recommend it but would not go back due to liking to visit other places and the lack of pool space and would want to be right near a beach next time.

Room Tip: I emailed and asked or low floor and pool view due to fear of heights. I got floor 11 and view of ho...
1 Thank KatMatKent
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We are just back from a week here and would definitely go back. Rooms are quite large with great beds cleaned with fresh towels daily. Some people have previously reported problems with the lifts but to be honest we didn't experience any issues. Food was fab, lots of choice mainly catering for the British, chef cavery every evening (the roast beef and gravy were perfect) rooms have sky sports and what we get as free view here at home. Strongbow and San Miguel on draft for the all inclusive. Evening entertainment was very very good a lot of time effort and planning goes into it and you can tell, we went out a couple of nights but to be honest for what you get in the hotel we preffered staying in there. I only have two gripes: 1, there are no tables and chairs to sit out in the sun, it's all sunbeds if you want a table and chair you are sat in the food/drink areas under cover. Must say though it's mega busy there are more than enough sunbeds to go round. 2nd it that for a drink you can either go to the pool bar or hotel bar both of which are up stairs which I felt was dangerous. Bottom line would def go back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerry H
Spils
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

Fantastic hotel and great food would definitely go back the club class rooms bar and pool were amazing sun all day round in the roof pool even though it was October. Food was really good there was a good selection every meal time and most nights there was a special on

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Cathy F
Manchester
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review whilst still here at the Flamingo Oasis as I feel it will be very honest and I also need to get a lot off my chest. In Lehman terms, if you have booked this hotel already but have not yet paid your full balance then my advice is change it and go somewhere else. We wish we had. Whilst I suppose I am accustomed to more luxurious properties, I have also stayed in 3* properties throughout the world and have not experienced some of the ridiculous rules,regulations and procedures carried out here at Flamingo Oasis.
Check in was ok. Fairly quick and greeted with a drink. Rooms were also ready which we were pleased with considering we arrived on an early flight. We weren't given any directions on how to get to our rooms though so kinda guessed and followed the signs. Not a huge issue but just a little customer service goes a long long way.
Our room is on the second floor at the end which we were really happy with. Also have a pool view. Yes, it's a tad noisy till midnight but this doesn't bother us. In fact, it's that difficult to get a seat to watch the entertainment that most nights we sit on our balcony to watch the entertainment. Our room is spacious with plenty of storage space. Bathroom is also large. However, bath is extremely slippy and I have a huge bruise where I slipped and banged my arm last night. Just to add I am t total so alcohol was definitely not a contributing factor.
Food is just awful. I can think of no other words to describe it quite frankly. Poor quality, poor choice and as said in previous reviews, just chips, chips, and more chips. I did have some nice beef off the carvery one evening. Unfortunately this has not been repeated. My husband who is vegetarian is really struggling and we have eaten out nearly everyday because of this. Make sure you bring lots of extra spends. You will most definitely need it. Also make sure you bring ear defenders as last night it was Mexican night in the restaurant and the singer was so loud you would have heard him at Alicante airport am sure. I raised this with a member of staff and she just shrugged her shoulders. We weren't the only ones unhappy with this. We saw several families just up and leave mid meal as it was unbearable. The guy couldn't even sing.
As for the swimming pool, I haven't had chance to use it yet as I am unable to get a sunbed at any time of the day it would appear. Unless you join the sunbed dash at 8.45am you don't stand a chance and up until now I have flatly refused to do this. I have never had to do it in any other hotel I have stayed in. In my opinion it's dangerous and stupid at best. However, in order for my son to go in the pool I may have to bite the bullet and join the sunbed Olympics. I raised this with Matt, the thomson rep and he said that that's just the way it's done here. Well, guess what Flamingo Oasis management, it just doesn't work. Everyone complains about it. About time you listened to your clientele.
Drinks are ok. We don't drink but everyone else seems to be enjoying them. Seen quite a few people a bit drunk. Mainly in the evening.
Location of the hotel is pants. Being a newbie to Benidorm, we just didn't realise how far away we were from everything. Oh well, it's not like we will be returning. I'd rather stick hot pokers in my eyes to be quite truthful.
If you do decide to come to Benidorm then a must visit is Mundomar. We went today and it was by far the best day of our holiday so far. We have 10 days to go so maybe the jeep safari trip, waterpark or waterfall trip will out do it.
In all, this has to be quite possibly the worst holiday we have ever had the displeasure of taking. We will never return to Benidorm, it truly is like Blackpool in the sun and I don't like Blackpool either because of the people it attracts. It's a good job we have more than one holiday a year because I would be totally devastated if I had to wait another 12 months for a holiday. Roll on February for Dominican Republic Royalton Punta Cana.
Top tips- spend as much time out of the hotel as possible.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family