“Lovely Hotel”
Review of Hotel RH Royal

Ranked #6 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Having stayed in many of the 'main stream' hotels in the Levante and Rincon areas, we decided this time to stay nearer the old town. The Hotel Royal was ideally located being set directly between old town and new. It is a very well run hotel and one of the cleanest in Benidorm. ALL of the staff were excellent. All very polite and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. The barmen were all very polite and efficient. Isabella on reception was a real star. She helped us with our booking both by e.mail and telephone before we left England and was supurb when we checked in. We were by far the minority nationality at the hotel, Dutch being the majority. The food was excellent. The room service was A1 and non-intrusive. We would recommend this hotel to anybody. It would never stop us staying at the Royal again, but as an observation, if you can't swim, the pool is 1.55M at the shallow end and lunchtime snacks were very limited and some days not available at all.
Summary: Best hotel we've stayed at in Benidorm in 20 years.

Room Tip: For very little extra cost, go for the superior rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pagltd
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

Hello Pagltd,

Being a regular Benidorm traveller, I am very pleased you have taken time to write about your stay at the Hotel RH Royal and for deciding to move location; it appears to have paid off!

I will share your review with the team and I am sure like me they will be delighted with the excellent feedback; it makes me very proud of the whole team.

I have noted your comment and the snacks not being available and will review this now.

The best hotel you have stayed in for 20 years in Benidorm is waiting to welcome you back soon and thank you for recommending our Hotel to fellow travellers,

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is the first time I have returned to this hotel with my dad since the RH group took over and it is fair to say the managers have really put their mark on this wee hotel as it has vastly improved in many areas. Let’s start with reception that is an area that still has the same warmth friendly staff. They will do all they can to offer information , advise and even help you fiddle your card into the lift when you stroll in at 2am after enjoying a great evening of tapas and cava in the heart of the old town. There was no need to ask for additional pillows or tea/coffee facilities as they were already in the rooms. It is also a nice wee gesture to have a chilled bottle of water in the fridge waiting on your arrival. The beds are so snug and it adds to the cosiness off having a light duvet. The rooms have got a bit more modernized with the addition of the flat screen TVs which offer a good variety of music/TV stations. As always these rooms are very clean and fresh towels supplied every day, I think the maid also had fun tucking my wee teddy bear into bed, every morning. We did have a room facing the sea (or RH Hotel Victoria) there was no problem at all with any extreme noise maybe just the typical hustle bustle of a street but nothing that the hotel can be held responsible for. Plus it’s nice to hear the happy cheery laughter. We were on the 6th floor and it is just nice to look over and people watch.

Now the bit that has a lot of debate of this page THE FOOD….I am someone who can be a little fussy but it looks like the managers have actually sat down listen and took note of people’s issues. Every night there is a good variety to choose from and always chicken, fish , and a red/pork meat dish, and I think it is a nice touch that the chef is always there cooking a different cut of meat every night on the grill, and on that subject remember if you like your meat food to be well done the chef will keep it on the grill a little longer for you if you ask and if you feel eating such fine tasty food every night is too much then you can choose the simple comfort food of chicken nuggets and chips…I’m a big kid at heart. Care has even been taken to provide vegetarians with hot food also. Plenty of fresh fruit and desserts and here is the tastiest dessert…my hot custard!!!! Breakfast is the usual hot cooked dishes , cereal plenty of cold meats and cheeses, with a new juice machine that actually is real orange juice. I found all the girls to be very hard working and very cheery including the lovely gentleman who ensures everyone is happy with the service

The poolside is just lovely kept and is never too busy but the pool is deep and so either keep floating on your back, take water wings or just stick to the top end where is a little less deep, (or maybe it is just me because I am so small)

In the evening it is nice to unwind with a lovely drink and listen to some really great singers who do a really good mixture of songs in several languages. The entire bar staff work so hard and step it up a bit to ensure everyone can take advantage of the happy hour.
I really do enjoy returning to this hotel and it is always nice to see the familiar friendly faces of the staff but also there are always the same regular guests who return. The hotel although adults only (16 +) it seems to attract the 40 + age groups of mainly Spanish, Dutch, and British which seems to give it a nice relaxing atmosphere. We also got an RH loyalty card (ask at reception) and that really is a lovely addition to the hotel. I am trying to think of something negative to balance my review out but I really cannot think of anything I enjoyed my stay so much. Thank you Elena, Ana , and all the lovely staff. Have to end my review now so I can get my next trip here booked 

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank amre
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Good Afternoon Amre,

Thank you very much for your glowing report! I am delighted that you have noticed the changes we have made over the last year and that they are an improvement.

As you know our staff work very hard to provide a top class service and I am so proud of your review and general description of the Hotel, you have made my day.

We all look forward to seeing you again very soon and thank you for being so loyal to our brand,

Reviewed 21 May 2013

we stayed at the royal hotel for 3 nights it was in a perfect location in between the old and the new town,the staff were very helpful and friendly,the food was excellent something for everyone a very good choice,breakfast was great full english or fresh fruit,cakes,or cold buffet,just perfect.the hotel was very clean throughout,rooms had fresh towels,tea/coffee in rooms and fridge,pool area was great very clean,gym,sauna,bar staff were excellent,the hotel is a must to stay in if going to benidorm,if u can not get booked up in this hotel our friends janet & brian stayed in the hotel victoria across the road which is the sister hotel this hotel is great hotel to.

Room Tip: we stayed in a room on the first floor looking over the pool at the side of the hotel,it wasnt a bus...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leslisa
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Hello Lisa and Les,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel RH Royal for your recent stay and for your review.

It’s really good to have your feedback and also great for the whole team too who are doing a great job.

We are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel, the food and facilities along with the cleanliness, also thanks to your friends Janet and Brian who chose the Victoria.

We look forward to welcoming you back again in the enar future,

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My six friend & I stayed at the RH Royal for 5 nights from 2nd - 7th May 2013 & we fully enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very spacious, three of us in one room with ample space. The Hotel was immaculately clean, service we gave 10 out of 10. Very friendly staff & very willing to help out. There was a good choice of food & the waiting staff promptly put two tables together at every evening meal without us asking. This was my 50th Birthday celebration & they really made a memorable occassion. The bar man Juan even went out & purchased fresh mint for me when I requested my favourite drink Mojito! Excellent hotel. Would definately recommend to my friends & will return soon. Yorksha Girls

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sonia63m

Dear Sonia and the Yorksha Girls,

Firstly many happy returns on your recent 50th Birthday, good for you celebrating it in style with your friends at the “Top Hotel” RH Royal.

Thanks for sharing your opinion with fellow travellers Sonia; we are very happy you have taken time to write about your experience at the hotel and for recommending us,

Hope to see you again very soon,

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My daughter and I have just returned from ten days at this hotel. Where to start this review is difficult, because most reviewers give a good overall decent picture of this hotel. First impressions of any hotel is at reception, there you are met with exceptionally warm friendly staff who make you feel you are special to them, they are very efficient and have a wide knowledge of most guests problems,(lost luggage, passports ).Next is your room, were you will notice immediately how fresh and spotlessly clean it is, this standard is maintained throughout your entire stay. While on the subject of cleanliness the entire hotel is maintained to this very high standard. The restaurant is bright and air conditioned and offers an excellent and varied choice of hot and cold food, accompanied with a large selection of fruit and salad, one thing to remember is, that this hotel is European and so the menus have to reflect the many guests, varied tastes, it is not a British only hotel. Entertainment is varied, the two girls whom I seen, on separate nights could sing in at least four different languages. The bar is comfortable and the lounge is quite large with a small dance floor. The terrace area is exceptionally nice and depending on wither you like sun or shade you can choose the sister hotel just across the road which is the Victoria. There are many details I have omitted because other reviewers have covered this exceptionally well. To end this review, you might ask what makes this hotel an exceptional cut above the rest, well that is the easy part, It’s the entire staff from the very bottom, some of whom you will never see, to the very top, who work tirelessly to give their guests a very memorable royal stay in the Hotel Royal.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank furrypaws

Good Afternoon Furrypaws,

Thank you once again for choosing RH hotels and for taking time as always to write a review.

I can see how much you enjoy your stays with us and we are very grateful for your loyalty and kind words about the team who do indeed work tirelessly to give the best service they can.

We look forward to seeing you again and send you our best wishes

Reviewed 16 May 2013

This hotel was recommended to me by friends and I booked for a solo trip from 8th to 15th May.

All booked as usual through Travel Republic, with the air carriers being Ryanair and the transfer to and from Alicante being Flybus. Flight from Edinburgh to Alicante took off and landed on time, flight back to Edinburgh took off about 30 mins late but landed on schedule. On arriving at Alicante the transfer bus was easy to find - took about 25 mins to fill up then a transfer time of 40 mins to the hotel. I was one of the last to get picked up on the return journey which took about 40 mins - all perfectly acceptable to me when there are the views of the mountains etc to look at on the journey. Note - Flybus drop off and pick up the Royal Hotel people outside the Poseidon Hotel which is about 100 yards away from the Royal.

The hotel was as expected and described by other travellers. Located about 5 mins stroll from the old town and about the same to the beach and promenade. The way I went to the beach there was a bit of a slope downhill but for those a bit less mobile it would be better to head to the old town and cut off down one of the side streets which is flatter.

I was given a room on the top floor (the 9th) - single room which was fine for me with a balcony looking away from the sea. Well fitted out but not a lot of space to put stuff from your case (although I didn't bother emptying mine). Nice bathroom with a walk in shower (no bath). Lots of soap and shower gel so you really do not need to take any. Good quality colour tv with good reception,free fridge. A good safety deposit box (big enough to take my Ipad) for E1:50 a day. Floor in room carpeted as was the rest of the hotel. Room cleaned every day. Balcony had a small rack to hang clothes on to dry.

Good sized pool at which I always got a sunbed even after 9:30 or later. Nice quiet relaxing atmosphere (no kids) with bar right by pool. Happy hour from 12:00 - 1:00 on a 2 for 1 deal. Price of a large beer E2.70. All drinks reasonable. Think there was also a happy hour in the evening from 8:00 till 9:00. Seemed to be some evening entertainment but did not stay in for it.

Well appointed restaurant - food was as you expect on holiday - nothing out of this world but good enough with a reasonable choice, I was on half board and tended to have breakfast then some buffet food at lunchtime.

Nice sitting area at the front of the hotel and a spacious lounge inside with a tv showing sports etc.

Internet available on a pay as you go basis by the bar but free wifi available too - need to get username and password from reception. Wifi good on ground floor, pool area, bar/lounge but not much good in room - the hotel could do with installing some cheap wifi boosters.

All staff were attentive and helpful- just remember you are in Spain and things don't happen with the speed you might expect in the UK.

By the pool area there was a small gym which looked well kitted out, as well as a sauna. As I was leaving they were in the final stages of installing a hot tub by the pool. Pool got the sun from about 10:00 am till 2:00 pm (in May anyway). Sun then swung behind the hotel but if more subathing was required there was a sun terrace set up to catch the afternoon sun. Sun then emerged from behind the hotel at about 4:00 pm and hit parts of the pool area again.

I noted that there seemed to be a nightclub or something under the hotel but this was not open while I was there.

Had a look at the RH Victoria which is across the road but would say that the Royal is the superior of the two. However the Victoria seemed to be more into the provision of entertainment than the Royal - think it is deliberately set up this way between the 2 hotels.

To summarise, I had a really nice time at the Royal and would most definitely recommend it to others, and go back again myself. The only one thing I would suggest to management is that they look at the air conditioning setting in the rooms as a min of 15c is too high for us from colder climes at night, Drop it to 5c or something. However, many thanks for a nice holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the sea are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
7  Thank C Saloux
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Good Afternoon C Saloux,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the hotel RH Royal and thanks to your friends for recommending our Hotel.

You have written a very detailed review of the Hotel and I am very pleased that your week with us was an enjoyable one.

Great to hear that you would came back and most definitely recommend.

Your point raised on the aircon has been noted, however the full system was switched on last Friday, so I think maybe during most your stay it was the fan system in place that doesn’t cool as much as the aircon.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future

Reviewed 14 May 2013

This hotel is great value for money,very clean and the service is very good.please don't listen to the reviews re the food there is a good choice from the buffet which for the price we paid more than exceptable!!!!!I would definatly stay at the hotel royal again if I go back to benidorm.

• Stayed: April 2013
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Hello Sarah,

Thank you very much for your review of our “Great Hotel” RH Royal.

We are very pleased with your feedback about the great value for money you enjoyed. We hope you decide to come back to Benidorm, we will here to give you a warm welcome,