“OK Royal Hotel”
Review of Hotel RH Royal

Ranked #6 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I do try my best to write accurate reviews of the places I visit so please don't think that any individual problems we had at this hotel reflects on the final score I've given as it doesn't.
We arrived 2/5/14, check in was smooth although my wife did ask for a corner room which the receptionist said was not possible (my wife is Thai/Chinese and she isn't backward at coming forward). This wasn't a problem at all. We finished up in room 506 which is above the hotels terrace although I had emailed the hotel previously to ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as we aren't sun worshippers and from the comments on trip advisor it was the quieter side. Now I know that I could have reminded the receptionist of this but I have the habit of asking once for something, which I had by email, after that I accept I'm not going to get it. We were informed that a charge of 16.5 Euros would be put on the bill (1.5 Euros per night for 11 night stay) for the hire of the in room safe. Now this really annoys me as hotel guests safety and security should be at the forefront of a hosts thinking even though it's an insignificant amount. This I must admit I was aware of prior to travelling. The receptionist advised us that our half board consisted of breakfast and dinner which we could change for lunch if we wished. I had asked fellow trip advisor reviewers if this was the case prior to travelling after not getting an answer from the hotel. This was great for us as we did want to eat out on occasion. It was my birthday on the day of arrival and a couple of hours after check in a bottle of chilled Cava arrived at the room, nice touch. I asked the receptionist the next day how she'd known (as I never of make a big thing of it) and she'd got it from my passport.
The room was a basic hotel room which I would have been quite happy with if at work but expected a bit more to be fair. Balcony was good to sit out on before the sun got too hot where I could have a nice cup of tea and a ciggy in the morning until the ashtray disappeared. Walls are pretty thin and you can hear the next rooms TV quite clearly, this is exacerbated by the feedback on the TV we had as we needed to increase the volume to get over the feedback. We did have the chap next door banging on the wall one night at 12-30 so we finished up turning the volume down and sitting on the edge of the bed for the rest of the holiday. The bathroom again was basic with not much pressure from the shower but it does have a hair dryer. A doorstop was missing in the floor of the bathroom which left a screw protruding around 25mm in the floor and I'd suggest the hotel fixes this before anyone stands on it. Rooms do have a kettle and a small fridge which is more than adequate for storing milk and cold drinks in, ideal for the early morning cuppa. We bought bottled water in from a local supermarket for tea making.
The restaurant food was buffet style. I personally find this type of food is nothing to write home about. Usually the breakfasts are decent but the rest of the meals tend to be same old, same old which was the case at the Royal but what I would say it was of a decent quality. Why would I book half board then? Well my wife is Asian (as previously stated) and she eats every meal on time as though it's going to be her last (it's a cultural thing, anyone who's been to Thailand will know what I'm talking about). So convenience and cost would be the answer to that.
On 4/5/14 we took our seats for breakfast and I noticed large single flowers on some tables. I didn't think anything of it until some ladies sat around us was asked if they were mothers and if they were they were given one of these flowers. Unfortunately my wife was "overlooked" and didn't get asked although we are parents. She asked what the flowers were for and I told her they were for grand mothers which she accepted although I was more than a little angry.
The girls and the young man in the restaurant I must add were welcoming at all times and are a credit to the hotel. One of the cooks doubles up as the singer in the bar on some nights, my wife noticed this and told me. I told her not to be silly but she insisted she was the singer so I had to ask the cook one day (not the other way around in case my wife was wrong) and it turned out she was. Decent at both jobs may I add and always a smile.
The bar prices are reasonable, large draught beer E 2.7 and white coffee with a large Baileys or Drambuie for E6.1 to E6.4 if I remember correctly, bottle of wine around E10. The bar itself is set up with a singing/cabaret area to one side and the TV to the other which is a little awkward when there's a big game and singer on together although I wouldn't know how that could be improved on. You do get the better quality products when you are paying for them, .i.e. the Irish Cream was swiftly changed for Baileys when the waiter knew I was paying for it. Now when I'm on holiday usually, all my bar bill goes on the room. I was swiftly corrected in the error of my ways by the most elderly of the waiters after trying to get 3 drinks put on the room at the end of the night. Pay, pay, pay he demands with a bit of attitude. A few years ago we would have had a bit of a falling out but I just laughed it off. There is an outside terrace attached to the bar but the waiter service out there is pretty poor at night, you're better off going to the bar and asking them to bring you out the drinks. Ricardo stands head and shoulders above the rest, always working and on the go, brilliant waiter.
The tables outside on the terrace need a good scrub. I went to put my wife's Ipad on a table top and she insisted on wiping it down first with a wet wipe. You couldn't imagine the dirt what come out on the wet wipe, again I would suggest these are cleaned (I will post a pic later).
Hotel noise? The road can be a problem if at the hotel front, the bin men collect between midnight and 01-00, didn't bother us as we didn't go to bed before 01-00 but would be a problem if you like to go to bed earlier. I did speak with other guests who'd been woken in the early hours by hen parties on lower floors to us, although we never heard anything they clearly disturbed some guests. I was woken every morning by road traffic at 08-00 which again wasn't a problem for me but may be for others.
The location is great, turn right out of the hotel and walk straight down the road and you're in the old town in 5 minutes.
I don't know who rates these hotels and some of the things I've mentioned in this review may sound petty or insignificant, alternatively I would suggest that it is indeed the attention to detail of the small items which can and does differentiate between a 3 and 4 star hotel. The hotel industry in general is rife with 3 star hotels purporting to be 4 star. This hotel, in my opinion is 3 stars.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front for sun and noise, wouldn't bother emailing them again personally, I got a cu...
4  Thank jim g
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Good afternoon jim g,

I would like by thanking you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of our Hotel RH Royal.

I will respond to some of the points raised.

With regards to the room, I am sorry you didn’t get the room you requested, but as you yourself know a request is not a guarantee and the hotel was full when you arrived.

You mention the safe isn’t free, nor it is advertised as such, and as you yourself say, it isn’t expensive.

Very pleased you appreciated the bottle of cava.
I can only apologise if your wife wasn’t given a flower on Mother’s Day, I can put it down to human error.

Just to clarify, the tables on the outside terrace have a brown wax so they keep their colour, they are not dirty, so your picture shows the wax you have rubbed off.

I don’t understand why you would mention other guests comments if they didn’t affect your stay and I am sorry you don’t feel the hotel is worth four stars, but star ratings are awarded on installations and facilities.

Thank you once again.

Hotel RH Royal

Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed 12 May 2014

The Murrays spent a lovely week in this perfectly located hotel,2 minutes walk to Old Town. Rooms cleaned and fresh towels every day.Thoughtful touch on Mothers Day, Sunday 4th May when all mothers received a beautiful flower at breakfast. Now that's what I call attention to detail. It really made my holiday.
No problem getting a table for two in restaurant which seemed to run effortlessly, with no hassle at the buffet, and none of that annoying waiting for a vacant table., Food was of good quality and considering it is a smallish hotel, there was a wide selection.

Special mention to the Belgian receptionist who went out of her way to help us with a code for our loyalty card (Also a nice gesture by the RH group) Not forgetting the lovely waiter Marlon in
the restaurant, always smiling and polite. An asset to your hotel.

We will be back.

Room Tip: Higher floors quieter even at front, Sun in balcony in evenings at rear,
1  Thank Forbes M
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

A very good morning Forbes M,

On behalf of myself and the whole team, our sincere thanks for your review on our “very Impressive” Hotel RH Royal, we are delighted to read that you had a “lovely week” stay with us.

So nice you appreciated the little gift on Mother’s day, all mothers deserve a little thank you.

Really pleased you enjoyed the “good quality” food. I will pass your comments on to all our staff especially to Isa and Marlon, I agree, the team we have are an asset to the hotel.

Thank you so much once again and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Booked this hotel after reading others reviews. Spent 4 nights there. First of all, don't think this rates 4*. Room small but clean. Had a room at the side of the hotel with a balcony. Outlook was of course mainly of other high rise blocks and concrete but we did have a glimpse of the sea through all this. Lovely pool area although we didn't use it. Breakfast buffet on the whole was good with the exception of the coffee which came out of a machine and the fresh fruit, which didn't look too fresh - either dried up and bruised or out of a tin.
Our 2 main gripes were, on asking for some more coffee and milk sachets for our room (you will find 2 tea bags, 2 coffee sachets and 2 milks in your room) we were told no, that we could not have anymore, only 2 of each were allowed per day per room, anymore had to be purchased. (2 of us were staying in the room.) Most hotels we've stayed at usually leave well stocked tea and coffee facilities in the room. Then, on our last evening we placed a wake up call for 6am. This never came!!! I somehow knew it wouldn't - appalling! Just one more thing, the male receptionist generally on the desk in the afternoon/early evening could do with being sent to a 'charm school'.
Oh yes, noise. Very noisy both inside and out. Comings an goings at all hours, heavy doors slamming, loud voices. Shouting in the streets most evenings - probably returning hen/stag parties.
Oh yes, good location on the edge of the old town.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

DearNatt53,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback of our Hotel RH Royal with fellow travellers.

I am sorry that you feel the hotel isn’t worth its 4 stars, you mention that your views where of high rise building and could harly see the sea, nowhere do we advertise rooms with sea views, so being able to see the sea must have been a plus!

With regard to your tea & coffee replacements, I can only apologise. As the receptionist said, we do replenish once a day, but if a guest request more there shouldn’t be a problem, I can assure you this issue has been addressed.

As for the wake-up call, I can only put this down to human error, we all make mistakes and I am very sorry.

You mention that it was noisy, if you had let reception know at the time we could have kindly asked the people responsible to town it down.

Despite the two minor gripes, I do hope we can welcome you back in the future to restore your faith in us.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Very clean maid cleaned every day and replaced towels every day as it is carpeted you don't hear any noise lovely rooms the only downside was the food breakfast was excellent but lunch and dinner was a bit bland I think they catered more for the older clients, don't go here if you like puddings as they were all egg custard based and were basically the same every day, you could always find something if you liked very plain food. Hotel staff were lovely and accommodating, pool area clean and you could always get a Sun bed. I would recommend if you wanted a quiet peaceful place to stay.

Room Tip: Go higher up for quieter rooms from noise outside.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Good Afternoon MONIQUEDAWS,

It was so nice to read your review on our “lovely hotel” RH Royal after your recent stay with us.

Great to hear that you found the maid and staff service in general one of high standards and that you were able to enjoy the sun & relax by the pool.

With regards to the puddings being the same everyday, I am sorry you feel this way. Apart from the cakes and pastries we have at least 6 types of different fruit, 6 types of yogurts, 3 types of ice-cream and we also have hot puddings like bread & butter pudding, apple or fruit crumble and rice cake to mention a few, however we have noted your comment.

Feedback helps us improve constantly and we thank you for dedicating time to share your opinion.

My sincere thanks you once again.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

This is the first time we have been to benidorm. The hotel is well placed to access the old and the new town easily. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and were presented with a lovely celebration cake on the first night along with a bottle of cava, this was a lovely touch and very appreciated. there was an ample range of food types to accommodate everyone and the staff in the restaurant were very attentive and friendly. the pool is cold but very clean as are all the toilet areas indoor and outdoor. On Mother's Day all the mothers were presented with a lovely gebera which was also lovely.
On the down side the walls appear thin and street noise and people snoring could be heard as well as TV noise. We spoke to others in the hotel who were at the back of the hotel they also heard there neighbours. some of the bar person ell were magnificent especially Ricardo who was outstanding and clearly liked his job, nothing was too much trouble to him. Others were less impressive. On one occasion I had to ask for our table to be cleaned as the waiter was going to put drinks onto a very dirty table. He was not impressed and did not hide it. I also along with a few others stood at the bar for a drink and three others were served then the waiter disappeared and another guest told me he was out the side for a cigarette. The hotel at that point wasn't particularly busy and waiting staff didn't appear hard pressed. Another waiter was on the phone to his family and kept my husband standing waiting for ages while he chatted. reception staff helped me when I had problems accessing Wifi but it was a daily hastle maintaing access to wifi. the young girl with the long hair on reception was brilliant she helped us print off our flight tickets. Although there was a festival on on the Thursday reception staff told two ladies there wasn't a festival on even although we had been out that day taking pictures of the people involved who were dressed up in national dress and they processed through the streets carrying flowers.
Overall a good Hotel which could be improved on. I feel guests are afraid to be honest in their comments because of the robust and at times defensive stance which is apparent in the managers comments following each review. We booked this Hotel because of the Trip advisor high scores but because of our experience I am reluctant to just go on trip advisor percentages. We will not return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Good morning from Benidorm marynurse_8,

I would like to start of by thanking you for choosing our Hotel RH Royal for such an important celebration and for taking the time to share your experience with fellow travellers.

I am very pleased that the cava and cake along with the Mother’s Day flowers were appreciated, we always try to go the extra mile for customer service.

I am sorry to hear that neighbours were noisy, I don’t know if you rang reception at the time, had you done so we would have kindly asked them to tone it down.

With regards to your comments regarding the bar staff, I can only apologize if you feel that it wasn’t good service and I assure you that measures have already been taken, as I have already said customer service and satisfaction is our nº1 priority. You mention one of the waiters was talking on his phone, I would like to point out we have an internal cordless phone in the bar area for departments to communicate, it may have been that phone the waiter was talking on.

Very pleased that reception was able to help you with printing your boarding pass. As for the festival, there is no reason why the reception would say there wasn’t any events going on, I can only think there was a misunderstanding and apologize that you were not satisfied with the response at the time.

I am sorry you find our responses robust, but there are always two sides to a story and we simply gather information and reply to each point raised. As I have said many times, it’s easy to go home and write on a website, but all these points could have been addressed with me personally whilst you were here!

Despite the issues I do hope you return and we can restore your faith in us, as you yourself say it has got many good points.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and would thoroughly recommend it. Our room was on the 8th floor kept immaculately clean by the housekeeping staff. We arrived about 2100 hrs and were requested to go to dinner and book in later as the restaurant closes at 2200hrs. We did this, after which the book in was very quick and efficient. As I said before the room was spotless also quite spacious and pleasantly furnished with flat screen TV showing lots of English speaking channels including ITV and BBC. The public areas are again immaculate and very modern with a well equipped bar which is reasonably priced. All the staff were extremely friendly and always greeted you with a smile. The food is excellent, with a lot of choice and show cooking and tables were always available and cleaned up very quickly. The location is very near the old town and a short stroll to the beach All in all this hotel is very well run and I certainly would return

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kenross40

What a great start to a Friday morning kenross40,

Thank you so very much, not only for your review on our “perfect Hotel” RH Royal but also for your recommendation.

I was very pleased to hear that you made it in time to enjoy your first dinner and that the check-in process was “quick and efficient”.

It’s nice to read you appreciated the little extras like the British TV channels.

I will of course pass your comments on to our “extremely friendly” staff, and to the chef for his “excellent” food, they will all be extremely happy.

Hoping to welcome you back for a second visit in the future and thank you once again.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We were recommended this hotel by my cousin and his wife and joined them for a weeks stay there in November 2013. Every bit as good as they said!! Room was spotless, great service and food was good.So much so that we have just booked up again to return this year.Cannot wait!!! :)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shona H
RH-HotelsBenidorm, Manager at Hotel RH Royal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Buenos días Shona,

It was so nice to read your review of our Hotel RH Royal after your recent stay with us, and even nicer to hear that you chose the hotel based on a recommendation! I am so very pleased it was everything you hoped for.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back later this year.

Thank you once again.