“Second review of this hotel-different experience”
Review of Marconi Hotel

Marconi Hotel
Ranked #104 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
chippenham
“Second review of this hotel-different experience”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Had to write this review to redress the balance of my last years review of this hotel. Arrived tired at midnight approx, to be met by the same receptionist as last year who although not smiley was extremely efficient and checked us in speedily which was so appreciated after being let down at the airport with transfer. Rooms both sea views on 4th floor, superb. Room spotless. Breakfast very good. Food in the evening this year, not very hot but always something to eat. Went with mother and sons. Sons 24 and 21 did not like food first evening and did not bother again.Pizza every evening on the menu but was fish pizza first evening and they didnt fancy anything else. Full of spaniards which I personally love. The older barman/waiter very jolly and going about his work humming to himself. A totally different experience to last year. Stayed here again only because the hotel I had originally booked was closed for a few weeks. Glad I made that choice. well done Marconi!

Room Tip: Stayed on 4th floor seaview. Brilliant view. Well sound proofed from outside noise. Slightly better...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank benimadChippenham

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Polish first
Marktyme
Reviewed 17 December 2011

We have just got back from another great time at the Marconi.
The rooms are impeccable. The food is great and the staff are helpful, obliging and very friendly. Every request we made was attended to quickly. At times language was a bit of a problem mainly because we could not speak Spanish well enough but they soon got over that by giving us a typed sheet of Spanish to English items. This was not our first visit and it certainly will not be the last.

Room Tip: Price related so pay your penny!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Marktyme
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Really nice hotel right on the front, walking distance from new town. Food very good when't half board and always lots of food

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank andrea1474525
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2011

I stayed B&B for the week. I'm an early riser, so was down for breakfast every morning (except one) at 8am when the restaurant opened. The food was fresh, plentiful, and varied - bacon/egg etc, plus fruit, cereal, pastries. There was a handful of guests around at that time.
On the morning when I was later, the place was heaving, so if you prefer a quieter start to the day, then be early!
The hotel had around 90% older Spanish guests, so there were no sleepless nights caused by partygoers rolling back drunk.
I had very little contact with the staff apart from a "good morning" (which I tended to instigate), so I guess that maybe this could come across as them being slightly offhand.
The room was basic, but spotlessly clean, and the bathroom well equipped and well lit.
The location is just perfect for the old town, and you're on the beach as soon as you walk out of the front door.
The view from the rooftop sun area is spectacular, though the area itself isn't that big, as is the pool.
I couldn't get a sea view, but if you can, then get one.
I would recommend this hotel without hesitation for those who enjoy a quiter time at their hotel, who want to be near the old town, and who don't have a problem with the clientele being mainly Spanish.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
9 Thank 8jaykay
manchester, england
Reviewed 30 May 2011

The hotel is small and very clean. The staff friendly and most spoke good English.Lots of Spaniards stay there, which for me was a good thing as I like to get a Spanish feel in Spain! The food was ok, but a nightmare for me as I am Vegetarian and most nights there was only cheese and salad for dinner for me, which is one reason I would not return there. The position is excellent. On the seafront, on the flat- which suited my elderly mum- and just a short walk from the town centre and Poniente beach. HOWEVER...do not think about booking this hotel without making sure that you have a room with a seaview. The other rooms have no view at all...except a dark vertical tunnel, overlooking another two rooms and a blank wall- like a square of darkness! We had to go onto the balcony (which not all rooms had) and look up to see the sky and determine what the weather was like before getting dressed in the morning! It was, frankly, depressing. I think most Brits get a kick out of seeing the sun shine into their rooms when abroad, but in these rooms there was not even daylight filtering in, and, unfortunately, my sister was ill for a few days and had to spend more time in there than anyone would want to. We booked with Travel Republic, and they call these rooms promo rooms. There are only about 25 rooms on the front of the hotel, but I would strongly advise you to book ONLY one of those, or not bother. This hotel is most suitable for older guests, but if you have to hire a mobility scooter, they won't be happy about letting you plug it in in the lobby. Young people would hate it there. There is a tiny rooftop pool which is only accessible by stairs, but it's a suntrap up there!

Room Tip: ONLY book a seaview. Other rooms are depressing.
  • Stayed May 2011
4 Thank bd cat
sheffield
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I've just returned from a 3 night stay at the Marconi and I was really impressed. I traveled as part of a group of three 30ish year old women. We went away for a cheap and cheerful break in the sunshine. To begin with we all had fairly low expectations of Benidorm itself, but the Old Town is lovely as is this hotel which sits on the sea front on the edge of the Old Town, we couldn't have chosen a better place to stay.
Location: A five minute leisurely stroll into the bars, restaurants and shops of the Old Town, 10 minutes in a taxi to the New Town and a quick hop across the road to a glorious beach.
Rooms: Ours was a triple room, three single beds, clean bathroom with shower, as we'd gone cheap and cheerful we had an interior room which had a balcony overlooking a tiny courtyard where we could just about touch the other balconies, although as we literally used the room for sleeping and showering we were not at all upset by this. Our room was cleaned daily, beds made, towels if left out were changed and a quick flick around with a mop.
Service: Again faultless, we asked for extra pillows and they arrived, we asked if we could use a hair dryer and there it was, asked for extra towels and hey-presto! The staff speak limited English (more English than I speak Spanish in fairness) but were polite and patient and always eager to help.
Pool: The pool is on the roof terrace, it's tiny but the views up there are amazing and we had uninterrupted sunbathing from 11am-7pm, so once again no complaints there. Staff were happy for us to buy drinks at the local supermarket and take them up with us too, so no need to buy from the hotel bar and cart a supply of drinks up 6 floors all day.
Food: We stayed half board, it was only £6 extra each for the whole stay. The dining room was by way of a small buffet, food on a hot plate with salads and bits available. It's never going to get any Michelin stars but the food was hot, edible and plentiful.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to any adults looking for a quiet spot with access to all the fun of Benidorm. Great if you want to explore the old town or soak up the sun, probably not brilliant if you have young children but for a grown up getaway on a budget I don't think you could ask for more.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank SusieGSheffield
Reviewed 13 May 2011

I had read a mixture of reviews, and was almost put of by some, however I found this budget hotel great value for money, and in one of the best locations. You just walk out the door and your on the beach.
This is a Spanish hotel and I went full board, the food was Spanish, and there was plenty and tasty, but don't expect English food, though chips are available everyday. It was a good selection of food and different everyday.
I found all the staff very friendly and helpful and would recommend this hotel which is located next to the old town.
I only have 1 criticism and that is that there is no English channels on the tv, it would have been nice to have at least 1.

• Stayed May 2011
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

3 Thank mattarm33