“1 night stay for young couple...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Joya

Hotel Joya
Ranked #98 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
debzy1987
“1 night stay for young couple...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

Myself and my Boyfriend (both 24yrs old) stayed at the Joya for 1night on the 23rd of September. We drove from Quesada near Torreveja and found the hotel straight away as it is a few minutes from the motorway. We Parked our car in the secure car park which cost us 6Euros for the one night and then made our way to check in. The check in staff stood and spoke to each other casually and ignored us for about 5mins before dealing with us and welcomed us to - 'Yes??' - even though we had a case and it was obvious we were checking in they didnt seem at all inviting.As we arrived early our room wasnt ready which wasnt a problem as we were going to Terra Mitica, We purchased our tickets from reception for 27Euro each (at the park gates it was 49E!!) the hotel told us where to get the bus from also which was a minute walk and 3euros for us both and got us there in 10mins.

When we arrived back at the hotel the staff had changed over and i asked for our room key (401) but as we hadnt checked the room i hadnt been told where it was to which i got told cheekily --- eh take the lift..4th floor! like i was stupid.

Our room was right beside the lift which to be fair we never heard any noise from at night. as it had been a long day walking about we went for a short sleep which was disturbed by next doors talking, they were not talking at high volume but i could hear everyword as the walls are paper thin!! Hotel room was very basic but very clean, exactly what we expected as we only paid £49 from Alpharooms. toilet was spotless and provided hand sanitiser,shampoo and shower gel aswell as plenty of clean towels.Air con did work but wasnt very strong.

As we were getting ready my boyfriend went to the bar to use the 2 for 1 drinks voucher we had been provided but was refused as he ordered cocktails but the voucher didnt state which drinks. He then went to reception to ask to hire an Iron to which he was told 'sorry someone has it and we only have one' - this is a joke, the hotel didnt even have a note of who had it to see if they were finished, luckily his shirt wasnt too bad to wear out that evening!!
Later that evening we asked reception for directions to night life and an older gentleman took us out the hotel and pointed us in the right direction and was very helpful.

We didnt make breakfast so i cannot comment but the hotel restaurant and bar looked very nice and the reception looks fairly new and modern. For what we paid and how much we used the room it was great and i would stay here again but the staff do need to buck up there attitude.

Its a nice hotel for a few days break but i wouldnt stay here for a long period of time.

4 Thank debzy1987

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2011

stayed 10days 12-22 sept,excellent 2 star.all rooms and outside areas clean and tidy. mainly spanish food,(but it is a spanish hotel).10 mins walk to old town,or number 1 or 12 bus too and from rincon area along ave mediterrraneo.all staff very helpful and spoke better english than we spoke spanish, CESAR on reception is a treasure,if you need help, hes the man.we enjoyed are stay at the joya,and would be more than happy to return.the review by MICKNJO just about says it all,but dont waste your time watching tv, get down too the seaside on the beach.grace&jack

1 Thank grace2041
pontefract
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Hotel Joya is situated directly on a main noisey duel carrageway in the residential spanish quarter, situated to the rear of Benidorm.

TV! german and spanish channels, (only one english spoken channel, sport), The Hotel is clean and rooms are cleaned daily. Entertainment poor/ catering to the spanish. Food limited in choice, not to my taste, I ate out most evenings.

location for walking a good 15 mins walk downhill to the old town, however it took longer to return due to uphill slope. You need good walking shoes. elderly people would find it difficult getting around due to the distance to and from the beach and main shopping area's.

Taxis's cost 6 euro's ( September 2011) each way to Lavente area. Local bus services run reguarly, however, difficult to know where to catch a bus upon return. All in all, I would not revisit Hotel Joya, false economy paying out for taxis each evening as an isolated location which adding extra cost onto what I hoped would be a quick getaway low cost budget holiday.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank carrie1uk

Travellers are raving about these Benidorm hotels

Littlehampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2011

we stayed for a week between 10-17 September, we arrived at the hotel in the evening and were greeted at reception, the hotel was very nice inside, modern and clean, the lift was perfect as we were on the 5th floor, our room was basic but clean and tidy with everything you need, and lots of wardrobe space, a bonus is that the air conditioning is free, it was very hot while we were there, 35 degrees!! also it is worth paying for the safe which is 21 euros for a week, you get 10 euros back when you return the key, we had our towels changed daily, although we had our beds made every day the sheets weren't changed for the week we were there, not too much of a problem but thought they may have been changed at least once. we stayed based on bed & breakfast, although we only had breakfast one morning during the week, as we prefer to eat at different places, the breakfast looked good, with a selection of different breads, croissants and pastrys, also the morning we went down there was sausages and beans as well, boiled eggs etc, also a wide selection of fruit juice and tea/coffee, very substantial if you are on a budget. the bar area is clean and tidy and also the pool, although we chose to go to the beach everyday, the beach is fantastic, very clean and nice, would recommend it to anyone, we returned to the bar one night at about midnight, and was dissapointed to be practically ignored by the bar man, seemed more interested in clearing tables and talking than serving us a drink, we only wanted a drink to take to the room, waited so long we nearly walked away.....he probably does work long hours, seemed to be the only bar man there.
hotel is situated between the old town and new town (new town is where all the English are) old town is lovely, full of Tapas bars etc and very curtural, the only down side is the hotel is a long walk to anything, 15 mins to the beach and the same to the bars etc, although I'm sure a local bus is available. BENIDORM....brilliant you must go and I would receomment the Joya

3 Thank fitobi
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Before booking our recent holiday I read the reviews on tripadvisor and was hoping that those who had given bad reviews had simply had a one-off or were expecting far too much from what is advertised as a 2-star hotel - how right I was if our experience was anything to go by. This is an economy hotel all told but punches above it's 2-star weight. The inside of the hotel is modern in feel, the lifts small but smooth and modern and the rooms are basic in their kit but again modern in decor and fittings with all you need to store your clothes and sleep. A tad disappointing that the TV wasnt satellite equipped for more UK speaking programmes but think I'd take a female-male aerial adapter next time to remedy that little gripe. As we dont go on holiday to watch TV this really wasnt an issue. I read on here that the best way ahead would be to request a room overlooking the pool so did so..... upon arrival the receptionist referred to my email and allocated us such room. Soooo chuffed. Indeed it was good advice. I would suggest potential visitors think about doing the same. Cant be guaranteed but if you dont ask....!! Admittedly the walls did seem a little thin and voices could be hear from next door but only when raised it seemed. I'm not gonna blame the hotel for inconsiderate people who can't seem to show respect for others when in their room. The aircon was fab with 3 settings and worked extremely well. The location of the hotel is away from the brit-focussed caberet "strip" but this is only 15 minute shuffle away. The beach again is a walk away, this time approx 10 minutes. I would not recommend to those who want the beach a few minutes away. However it was ideal for us. Whilst we were there the clientele was approx 60% Spanish, 30% UK and 10% other. The staff were friendly and I am not gonna moan about having to ask now and again for them to repeat their broken English.... much better than my almost non-existent Spanish.
Now to the most contraversial of issues - the food. This is not an a la carte restaurant. It is a basic self-service dining room and the food is not English in nature. Then again YOU ARE IN SPAIN. Most evenings there was a fish dish (or two), a meat dish, and veg and chips. The salad bar fast became our focus as the contents were fresh and flavoursome. Together with a fish or meat addition it was the perfect supplement to our (eat out) lunch. Drinks have to be purchased at dinner but are supplied at breakfast. Breakfast was mainly any TWO of beans, bacon, scrambled egg and (hot dog) sausages. There was also self-service toasting bread, cheese and ham, hard-bolied eggs, fruit and cereal. Basic but adequate.
Ultimately what sold this for me was value for money. We paid £300 each for a 7 night stay with flights and transfers/taxes. Of this the hotel charge was £145 each, ie £20 per night HALF BOARD. You don't usually get this kind of rate for self-catering so the additional "luxury" of food (if taken) was too good to miss. On top of this I did not go to Spain expecting english restaurant style catering, if you want that luxury look elsewhere and probably pay double the rate.
The pool and jacuzzi were more than adeqaute and the shallow (kids) pool was great for relaxing in (very warm due to small volume of water therein). The sunloungers were fine and fit for purpose. There was sometimes the need to get there early but only really due to a few people (Brits) who insisted on putting their towels on a bed at 9am (when the pool area opens) and then disappearing until early afternoon when the sun was overhead, denying use of the beds to others. You will have to excuse me when I say that sometimes this inconsiderate behaviour gets my goat!!
On the whole this was a most enjoyable little hotel to stay at. Its modern feel was surprising and the staff, whilst sometimes seeming austere, were pleasant and approachable. There were a couple of issues that I would have liked but that is probably why this hotel only gets an official 2-star rating. In every respect I have stayed at much worse with more stars above the door!!!
If you go with value for money in mind and are not expecting fine-dining then give it a go. For £20 per night (each) you would have to search long and hard for better.

Room Tip: email info@hoteljoya.com and ask for the room of choice.
3 Thank MicknJo
Falkirk, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We stayed here as a family of four for 10 nights from July - August 2011. We booked a family room and were dissapointed to find 2 single beds lined up together with a roll along cot and another roll along placed against the wall opposite the foot of the beds, this bed had a broken support and clattered everytime my 15yr daughter shifted her weight. (she's a size 8, not exactly heavy.) The room was clearly meant to be a triple due to there being 3 patio chairs and 3 glasses in the bathroom. The room was also next to the lifts and stairs and you can hear EVERYTHING, high heals clattering up and down stairs, people chatting, suitcase's being wheeled, people turning in bed, if you're a light sleeper it's not for you.

We were half board and the food, as mentioned by others, was catered more for the many Spanish guests, mainly bread and cakes in the morning with meat and cheese. There was cereal though but never seen anyone take it.
Some meals at night time were a hit and miss, but everything was cooked well, and a balance of frozen (veg!) and fresh items. One of the woman who worked in the resteraunt worked like a trojan and tried to speak to us in broken English, she was lovely, but the other two staff were surly, lazy and one kept hiding behind the counter eating food from the server like there was no tomorrow! There was a well stocked salad bar and a choice of 2 or 3 sweets per evening. There are NO drinks available in the evening with your meal unless you buy them, even water. However they charge 9euros per person to non guests to use the buffet facility, and you get a wine and a water carafe with that, so it's worth weighing up if you do not want to eat in every evening.

The hotel is kept reasonabley clean and tidy in the public areas, however our room, while being giving a daily brush and wash of floors which was great, the skirting was thick with dust/dirt (I am no fuss pot but this was really noticeable) and the flusher on the loo was manky all around the rim. Towels are changed daily.

However the most dissapointing factor for us was the evening before our last, I left cash (75 euros) on the table in the room along with my travellers cash bank card before going to dinner. When we returned the cash and card had gone.
We reported it to the reception desk who immediately replied, it's not our fault you left the door open!?! I replied that the door had been firmly shut and locks automatically. The guy could see I was not just accepting that excuse and called maintenance to check the door. They changed the key card and afterwards the door was working fluidly (the handle had been a bit sticky up till that point) Again I was given the spiel about the door, which I dispute but could see I was getting nowhere, I was also told by the reception guy that someone who had robbed the room would have taken other things. this appeared to me to be a convenient answer. We were not offered any kind of apology or recognition that this had happened. The following day when I advised the same man we would be leaving for an early transfer time he shrugged his shoulders and lifted his hands in the air, pulling a 'so what' face. Up until then I had been objective as to the circumstances but after that attitude I was really upset. The children were upset by the whole incident and the hotel could not care less.

In the whole, I have no intenions of returning to this hotel,or recommending it, it could be a wee gem if the staff got their attitude in check.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Fiona C
sufragio, Director Comercial at Hotel Joya, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
First thank you for your opinion, the opinions of our customers help us improve.

Secondly, we would like to offer some explanations:
1) All our rooms are the same, they have: 15’60 meters + wardrobe + toilet + balcony.
We don’t publish family rooms. We put beds when our customers request, but we advised that are double rooms with extra beds.
2) When the customer finds a piece of furniture that is not correct, we suggest that you report it to reception and we tried to solve during their stay at the hotel.
3) Breakfast: our breakfast consists of: orange juice, peach juice, pineapple juice and multifruit juice. Coffee, coffee milk, chamomile and tea. Milk, semi milk, yogurt, margarine. Fresh white bread, fresh standard bread, “payés” bread, white sandwich bread, standard sandwich bread and toast. Two types of cereals. Pastries: croissants + 2 types of pastry + 2 types of sugar free pastry. Marmalade: 2 types of jam with sugar + 2 types of sugar-free jam. Fruit and vegetables: chopped tomatoes + 2 types of fruit. Cold meat: 3 types of cold. Hot: 4 days per week 2 kinds of hot, as sausage, beans, bacon or scrambled eggs.
4) Touching our dinner, usually, there are: salads, 1 fish, 1 or 2 meat, vegetables, fruit and desserts. Today, for example, our dinner is:
Salads: 1.- seafood salad. 2.- campestre salad. 3.- lettuce. 4.- tomato. 5.- cucumber. 6.- onion. 7.- beet radish. 8.- olives. 9.-pepper. 10.-asparagus.
First: 11.- vegetable soup. 12.- Italian paste.
Second: 13.- grilled hake. 14.- roast beef. 15.- “jurel” (fish) to Andalusia. 16.- crepes with ham and mushrooms.
Garnishes: 17.- stews vegetables. 18.- mashed potatoes.
Dessert: 19.- Fruit (3 or 4 types) 20.- yoghurt 21.- sweet desserts.

It is true that there are many Spanish customers ( we are in Spain!!!!!) but we think that our menu can satisfy customers of most nationalities.

As far as the robbery is concerned, the customers know and so announced in most hotels, the hotel is not responsible for valuables, there are safes in the rooms. As for the rooms scheduled, the doors are opened with cards, personally cards for each client. And, of course, the client has to ensure that the door is closed. And if this does not work they must contact us at reception.

We only can tell you: “ We are sorry”.
birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2011

Recently come back from holiday to Benidorm staying at Joya hotel with my 3 children. The hotel was clean and neat but the food and entertainment was mainly catered for the Spanish. My children hardly ate any food so we had to eat out, we went to the main strip for evening entertainment. It was a long walk to main area, ensure you are fit. Handy having a bus stop outside hotel though. The restaurant staff do not speak any english at all. We also had 4 beds squashed into one room (which was quite tight). We did enjoy our stay at the Joya but it is not somewhere I would neccessarily go again as it was too far out and there was not much variation with the food.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family