“surprised”

Ranked #39 of 191 Hotels in Benidorm
newcastle upon tyne
“surprised”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

First time to Benidorm but would go back to this Hotel and the area tomorrow. It is 8 floors high and I suffer from small places They had booked us on the 8th floor but I can't do lifts. They sorted a room for us on the 1st floor overlooking the pool and the bar and entertainment area. The staff we lovely The hotel might need a little decoration in bedrooms the rest is presented beautifully.The food was excellent We were told it is a Spanish Hotel so the food would cater for those but there was such a good selection of everything. We had booked only bed and breakfast but were asked if we would like half board for an extra £10 per head for whole week.The tea and coffee and snacks at the pool were so cheap could not believe it.We went early July and there was a good mix of spanish english german and irish just a few small children but school holidays had not started yet.Our flight was home was middle of night and the porter opened the restaurant so we could have coffee and snack free of charge.The beach is a 5min walk away beautiful promenade Lots of little back street cafes Buses pull up outside hotel every 10mins 1.50euro into Benidorm. 10min walk into old town It is on the spanish side of Benidorm and it is very family friendly Yes we would go back The new Benidorm is nice for nights out but liked very much where we were

Room Tip: All rooms look on to the pool Our son and his wife were on the 8th floor and they said the lifts an...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dartsblessa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
watford
Reviewed 4 September 2013

3rd year in a row we ( myself/ wife &daughter,year 2 with inlaws) have stayed at this hotel and maybe it needs a lick of paint and a bit more thorough cleaning, as a 3 star hotel we cannot really fault it.
The restaurant/ bar and reception staff are very friendly and quite a laugh( especialy after the long hours they seem to work).
I have read many reviews that criticise the food, we have no complaints what so ever,choice is varied and plentiful(the ribs served by the chef are FANTASTIC).
Entertainment is enjoyable if not a bit late at night.
This hotel does seem to have a lot of Spanish residents( do the best indian/ chinese restaraunts have mainly indian/ chinese customers) also this hotel is in the old town not the new which seems to be favoured by brits.
This is a 3 star hotel which I could rate as 5 (but there is room for a bit of improvement)
Will be there next year.

1 Thank ljquarrell
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Benilux Park just over £500pp for a 11 night holiday in August 2013. The initial let down was from the tour operator - Thomson.
When we arrived at the Airport we where placed on a mini bus with a driver who spoke very little English and was having a conversation on his mobile while driving erratically. No holiday rep was present so we had no idea about transfer times, welcome meetings, or about the local area. This was pointed out to the representative who finally appeared later in the holiday, she was apologetic.
When we arrived at the hotel, we where impressed by the lobby area and where greeted by a very friendly receptionist called Paqui. We paid a deposit and nominal fee for air conditioning, TV (which we didn't use) and the safe.
We was in room 123 on the first floor.
We was given the key card, and made our way to the room. The corridor to the room was very drab with worn out carpet - we got to our room and entered. On initial inspection all appeared clean and we presented. The air con worked well, we had a twin room with a balcony over looking the pool and a bathroom with WC, and shower over the bath.
After we unpacked and sat down, naturally taking off ones shoes I noticed we had filthy feet - on close inspection the floor was covered in grains of sand and was generally not very clean.
There was considerable dust on the tops of units, doors and other areas in the room.
We then noticed the noise from the entertainments room - naturally on lights out you can here a lot more - this area of the hotel is very noisy and the entertainments go on until very late - avoid the first floor - especially if you have children who need a good nights sleep.
The wardrobe door was hanging off and one of the twin beds was very wobbly - the hotel fixed the bed, however the wardrobe door remained broken.
The meals.
The ding room its self does not have enough seats causing huge queues - I think the main meal time of 7:30pm is far too late, and would recommend opening at 6pm until 9.30pm for dinner instead of 7.30pm-9.30pm, as everyone wants to eat at 7.30.
The meals where interesting - breakfast, very good, a variety of pastry's, cereals, cakes, cold meats and full English. All hot and tasty.
Lunch - hit and miss, had salad most days and the hot buffet was not very appealing unless you like chicken nuggets or weird looking meat in a mystery sauce.
Dinner. Generally good, however as previous posts the hotel used a lot of products again from lunch - one evening there was a paella which had the lunch veggies placed on top. Again salad and cold meats where the best option. The "Mexican" night made us laugh especially as the Chilli was simply a Chinese style curry with Rice! All be it very tasty. Must point out Sonia the waitress is brilliant. Friendly and speaks excellent English - she is an asset to the hotel.
Pool area. A joke, small area for too many loungers - you will be told off by management if you place them on the grass - however on the tiled area there simply isn't enough room to move with them all in use without it being rammed and tricky to move about. This need to be rectified by the hotel as it's quite dangerous at times - especially when children are running about.
As in may hotels guests queue for over an hour to get the best spots by the pool. (Pool opens at 9am until 8pm)
We used the local beach - 5 minute walk, 12 euros a day for 2 loungers and a parasol. Prefect and stress free, with toilets nearby.
Bar. Very friendly service - try the Irish coffee. Very tasty! Bar itself clean and modern with free WiFi - Get code from the Bar Man.
All in all, the hotel is OK, we wont go back and Benidorm itself in our opinion is a big grubby and very over crowded.
Hotel: + Good Location, Good Hard Working Staff.
Hotel: - Poor maintenance, Meal times poor, Noisy bedrooms.
Area: Grubby and over crowded, however excursions to the Guadalest valley is excellent.
Try the Mojito bar in the old town - excellent service, clean and very friendly! Amazing views.

Room Tip: Top floor is best as very noisy on lower floors. Try the Arabic Jewles trip and the trip to Valenci...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank coffeelover83
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This is a lovely hotel. My husband and I wanted to get away for week together before our baby was due. We went for full board at the Benilux and it was perfect. We were a bit worried before we left about some of the food reviews but decided to go with it anyway and if need be we could eat out, but the food was fantastic. There was so much choice and it was all really tasty. Pregnancy has made me quite fussy but I found plenty to eat (perhaps a bit too much) at every meal time. A lot of the food is European as some of the other reviews say but my husband and I didn't see any problem with that - especially as the hotel is clearly catering for its customers as a the majority of people staying there are from Spain, France or Germany.

The rest of the hotel was great too. The rooms were really clean and looked good, the staff were friendly and helpful, and the pool area was lovely. Only one tiny gripe is that the door to the pool isn't opened until 9am and people end up queuing for it to be opened. They run to get the best spot and then once reserved their loungers everyone disappears for breakfast. That is not really a problem with the hotel though more the guests. It just seemed quite odd territorial behaviour to us so we avoided it. Instead we went to the pool after 9am and most days there was still space in the sunny areas.

Overall, it was a brilliant holiday in a really nice hotel. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lindsay M
nottinghamshire
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Booked a weeks holiday at the benilux a week before we travelled. Not been to benidorm before so a little apprehensive to be honest but it was the best we could get last minute. The hotel looked nice on arrival the reception and public areas are clean and smart looking. The rooms were very clean but basic, had tv and air con for paying a deposit of 5 euros each for the remotes, would definitely recommend the air con. Downside was that there was not a fridge or a kettle in the room? Never been to a hotel without these in the room. We were on half board, no all inclusive available as far as I am aware so surely there should be these items in the rooms to at least make a drink or keep water cool in the room? The rooms were cleaned everyday though. The pool area was nice, travelled with our 5 year old who loved it. It was just the right size that you could watch the kids from wherever you sat, whether they were in the big or small children's pool, or even on the children's play area next to the pools, so would recommend for children. Not too many english at the hotel though, it is in the old town which we were told was mainly Spanish compared to the very english new town. To be honest the location was great, easy walk to shops/restaurants just outside the hotel. And supermarket at the top of the road, visible from the hotel. Would recommend the lovely walk into the old town along the beach front to the vast array of restaurants. Biggest tip would be to check out the list of restaurants on trip advisor! The hotel let us swap our evening meal on the half board to lunch so that we could have lunch at the hotel in day whilst round the pool and then we went out for dinner in the evening. The food was sufficient for my husband and my son. But very limited for myself being vegetarian and nothing indicated whether it was suitable for vegetarians so always had to try to find someone to ask. The evening entertainment was ok, kids disco every night and then some kind of act after, from dancers to parrot shows. The bubble man was amazing! There was a good kids club, running different games during the day time, there were a couple of women doing the kids club, I think it was Nicola? During the day, who was very good. The hotel was quite noisy, not through late night entertainment but the walls must have been paper thin, you could hear everything your neighbours did and said, whatever time of day it was!

Room Tip: All rooms faced over the pool area, but probably ask for a lower floor, we were right at the top on...
3 Thank louise m
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I returned yesterday from a 3 night stay at the Benilux. I was extremely impressed with the hotel and have no complaints at all. The rooms are spotless and cleaned daily, there is also air con during summer months and a TV, both free of charge for a 10 euro deposit. Hotel reception staff couldn't have been more helpful. I was having problems with my transfer back to the airport with the company I used (booked through Ryanair, avoid it at all costs) and the reception staff offered to print out emails and phoned to try and arrange alternative transport to the airport when I realised Ryanair had booked my transfer for the week before I arrived and refused to change it. I cannot understand why anyone would complain about the food. There was a huge variety for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Yes, I agree with a previous review that there was a lack of vegetarian food (I am a fussy vegetarian and also don't eat eggs or fish). However, on the first night a waitress offered to get the chef to make me a pasta dish, which was brought out within 5 mins and each night after that the Head Waiter made a point of asking what I would like prepared and it was always brought out very quickly. He also checked with me that I was happy with my meal and was extremely pleasant and helpful. Yes, the pool area could get busy and people did leave towels on sun loungers, however the three days I was there I got a sun lounger no problem and there was also a large grass area close to the pool where people could sunbathe. I didn't use the bar at all so cant comment, but looked very nice and spacious. All in all I would struggle to complain about anything in this hotel. My only suggestion would be to have a hot vegetarian meal prepared each night, however as I said the restaurant staff ensured the chef made whatever dish I requested and they couldn't have been nicer. I would definitely stay here again if I return to Benidorm and have no hesitation recommending it to others.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
8 Thank Carol Anne M
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Booked this hotel on full board for me and my 23 year old daughter. We had a great stay I would agree with the comment about the sun bed race doors to the pool did not open until 9.00 and people were queuing at 8.00 waiting for sunbeds. We did this for 3 days then gave up, however on our third day it was much better and the queuing had stopped. Plenty of food to eat cooked breakfast every morning, Dinner and evening plenty of meat, fish, veg and fresh fruit other words great food. Not all bedrooms have pool view we had trees but could just see it. Stayed in Friday to watch a juggler he was rubbish kept dropping everything but was funny. Walked to the new town found a great Irish pub called The Bodhran and a great singer called Brendan Murray very friendly. The hotel bar is very expensive in the Benilux I would drink elsewhere. The waitresses were very quick clearing up. As for bar staff we always got are own drinks unlike the rest of the guests who think snapping fingers is enough that's why it would take longer to get your drinks. On the whole we loved our holiday and would like to thank everyone from the cleaners to the management for a great holidayand will definitely be going again.

4 Thank D0nnygirls