“Late sunshine break”

Ranked #41 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
Kegworth, United Kingdom
“Late sunshine break”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

My husband and i stayed here from November 9th - 16th and we did not realise it was fiesta week in Benidorm. On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist who very quickly told us to go and have dinner as we arrived late and the dinning room was about to close. there was still food available and the staff were happy to let us eat after time.
Our room was on the fourth floor and also a corner room and yes you could see into the other balconies. We didn`t see this as a problem in fact we exchanged greetings we all of our neighbours. Our room 401 was fine, clean spacious, even the bathroom was big enough. Yes you do have to pay for the TV remote but we were not there to watch TV so no problem.
We found the hotel to be quiet till around 7am then the varios staff activity starts, cleaning and pool etc. Breakfast was very good, everything you need and plenty of it. our opinion was that for the size of the hotel the dining room was not big enough. Lunch was good and not too crowded as some didn`t bother with it but it was at the evening meal that most problems occured.
The hotel is very popular with Spanish guests and some were large parties that all wanted to sit together. We worked it out and went in for dinner as soon as the dining room opened and had no problem. After dinner we used to go for a walk to the quiet end of Benidorm and back for a drink in the Hotel bar. Yes the entertainment was a little strange but the room was always full with people watching it. British guests were in the minority in this hotel, plenty of Belgian and Dutch and of course Spanish and mostly the older generation.
Every day we found something to do, the weather was still very warm. This hotel is in a quiet location away from the Levante bar scene. You can walk to the train station, we went by train to Altea and Denia and took the bus to Albir and walked up to the Lighthouse, the views were fantastic. If you want to stay local then there are so many shops in Benidorm and clothing is not expensive. The town was busy during this week because of the fiesta, we went to different places during the week to see float processions and fireworks but then you could find quiet places if you wanted to.
I would definately stay in this hotel again, apart from the busy dining room in the evening there was nothing wrong with it. The staff were all polite and as far as we could see very hard working.
We really enjoyed our weeks holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank christine m

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Stirling, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My husband and myself stayed here on 1st November for 1 week. On arrival we were greeted by a very nice receptionist. Our room was on the 3rd floor all rooms face the pool we were in a corner room and the balcony was very overlooked by the room on the opposite corner our neighbours could see into our room so we had to have the curtains closed. The rooms were nice enough but the bathroom was quite compact and the towels were wafer thin there are no hairdryers. The air conditioning was turned off for the winter but it was over 20degrees when we were there so the rooms were very hot and stuffy. The food was OK always something to choose from. This hotel is very geared to Spanish guests the equivalent of Shearings this did not bother us but the noise was constant as the Spanish like to talk all at the same time and monopolised the dining room demanding tables for large parties leaving very few tables for couples. The pool area is very nice but the sun beds are very uncomfortable with no cushions. The hotel overall is nice in a good location near the old town.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the middle of the corridor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Myra M
Chester-le-Street, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

I stayed here because I wanted to be close to the old town and in a quiet hotel. Both aims were achieved and I had a fine time.
The hotel is 10 minutes walk from the old town, less to the beach and there are plenty of cafes etc nearby. The english bars are about 30 minutes walk away and an 8 euro taxi fare to get home. I got the number 2 bus, but it took half an hour so I decided to walk it and stop off for a beer on the way, well it worked for me. The bus fair is 1 euro 50 cents.
Most of the guests are Spanish and quite elderly. So, if you like to chat and make friends with fellow guests, this might not be the hotel for you.
The food is plentiful and there is a wide range of items. Full english breakfast, cereals cold meat and cheese for breakfast. The cold meat and cheese is also available for lunch and dinner. Plenty of choice of meats and fish too. I found lunch to be the better meal so if you would like to eat out you might want to do so in the evening.
Meal times can be a little chaotic if the restaurant is full, but don't let it worry you, just walk slowly. I suspect this is a common issue that arose when the costa hotels changed from waiter service to buffet meals and abandoned the two sittings at that time. Oh, drinks were not free for me, I travelled with Jet2. You will also have to grab one of the busy staff and ask them for what you want. They give you an invoice when they bring the drink and you pay on the way out.
My room was fine. It was on the first floor so no long waits for the lift. The bathroom was spacious and I had a balcony with a view over the pool. There is a safe you can hire for 3 euros a day. I understand you can hire a remote for the telly, but I didn't bother.
There is entertainment at night, but I didn't stay for it, lots of people did though and from what I heard, it sounded pretty good. All over by midnight so no noisy nights.
All in all this is a good hotel and if you want to be near the old town, it'll suit your needs.
During my holiday I visited Altea, which is well worth a visit - number 10 bus or the train, Villajosa disappointed me, but I did visit in November - travel by train. I went on an excursion to Guadalest, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My favourite day was the boat trip to Calpe - 22 euros. There is a splendid old town there, but it's at the top of a steep hill and a bit of a walk from the port so no time for a leisurely lunch if you go there.
Now to turn to the nightlife. If you like football the Rose and Crown on the seafront inbetween the hotel and the old town shows the games on Sky. The bars in the old town are too many to discuss in detail, just wander around, it's fun but I will mention "Fun and Fright" just behind the church, it's a bit of a Benidorm institution and whilst it is looking a little tired it is still worth a visit. Could I also mention the Intimate No. One bar in the old town. It's a karaoke bar owned by two middle aged old guys who happen to be gay, the clientele is mixed straight and gay, I can't recall visiting a friendlier pub anywhere.
My stop off pub on the way to the area with the English bars was Bodharns (maybe spelt wrongly). It's an Irish bar one block back from the sea front, close to the old town. Good live music and decent beer, a middle aged crowd, I liked it. Moving onto to the English square itself, there's lots of tribute bands of a very high quality in a number of cabaret bars. The shows kept to the timetable you can see outside the venue and there isn't long inbetween acts. My favourite place was the Western Saloon. Beers are around euro 2.70 in all venues. These places get full even in November.
I think that's all so have a great holiday in Benidorm, I know I did.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Martin P
holmfirth
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I traveled here in October 2013 with two children aged 10 & 6 and had a lovely time. The hotel was mainly full of Spanish guests, but to be honest that was what I wanted and expected. All the staff were really friendly and helpful, and the food was super, there was plenty of choice even for my very fussy son.

The hotel is in a brilliant position, only minutes from the beach and the old town, with a slightly longer walk to livelier areas if you want it. I have never been to Benidorm before, but I would come back, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dianeslavs
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Lovely older style hotel, away from the cut and thrust of the main resort. The hotel has been tastefully refurbished to provide spacious and comfortable accommodation with a great pool area and shady bar area.

The evening entertainment could be a little funky at times

Would have no worries about going back.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank David K
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel reception looked great but after that everythings a bit tired. Room was cleaned each day and the woman who runs the place was very unpleasant,miserable and rude. The other staff were great. I would not stay again

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank japseye1
teesside
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Been to this hotel many times, always gave it good marks, all round. This visit we both found that the food was not to the standard it was on our past visits. The new decor in the bar area, was nice, all the staff were very good . But sad to say again ! food not upto the standard of the Benillux Park, we are used too...

Room Tip: go for high floor
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple