“Little Character”

Ranked #70 of 192 Hotels in Benidorm
London
“Little Character”
Reviewed 20 October 2012

This hotel probably has the least character of any hotel I have been in. It is not unpleasant, it is just characterless. The rooms are neat, clean, tidy and comfortable. The one I had was large and with a big bathroom, but it was a box, big square box, but a box. For business stays and somewhere to put your head down I think this is adequate. Possibly if you have a room overlooking the sea and don't mind heights then it might appeal more. I didn't even go into the restaurant so I can't say a word about that, I can say that there was someone checking guests were entitled to breakfast as I was walking down from the 7th floor. The ground floor is well laid out but the reception is set back, so you can walk in without being greeted or even noticed really. There are steps up to the lifts and bar area so I am not sure that it is suitable for those who cannot get up them under their own steam. Bar area also looks clinical. It didn't make me inclined to get a coffee there. The evening entertainment that I saw looked quite good fun, not to watch but to join in, but the area is small so you can't watch of have fun effectively. The entertainers in Benidorm go out of their way to give people a good time, often without any results and working long, rather thankless hours. I applaud them. The Spanish people there are a credit to themselves and their culture, I love them. There are two fast lifts and there is a area called The Solarium on the 6th floor. It is tables/chairs and loungers overlooking the beach on an initation lawn, with a not very tall wall between the two! I saw a group of people enjoying an evening drink out there one night. That could get a bit noisy for the front rooms possibly if there were a lot of people or drink as the sound carried, but a nice idea. There is a soft drinks machine in the solarium and also outside there are others for bottled water, and it is next door to the Mar Y Sol where there is a coffee machine and sweet/crisp/drinks machine so you can always get something to fill the gap. The best thing is that this hotel is opposite the beach, the road is one level down and not full of traffic, so not noisy, at night time you have the sound of the surf and either the violin or accordian being played alongside the park. Elche Park is between the hotel and the promenade and beach. There are adult exercise machines and children's play areas, where you can sit and watch the children enjoying time with their parents, or grandparents, without feeling guilty for revelling in the antics, curiosity and creativity of youngsters. The Spanish spend far less time telling children not to do things and just assist them when they ask for help. Where we would be aghast and jumping to their aid Spanish children are allowed to maintain their own focus and decide what they want to do and how without interference. For me this in fascinating.There are plants, palms and bushes and tracks to follow, and the odd sprinkler to dodge if you don't notice it. A lovely place to wander. There are also seats, tables and stools, chess and a shed where tables and chairs are kept for some organisation that plays cards late into the evening. People promenade up and down the sea front or sit on the sea wall and chat, until the late hours and it is very safe. It is also near the old town if you want a difference atmosphere for a bit. The beach is safe and sandy, the water clear and quite big fish come in to see what you are doing so get some goggles and a kids ring to throw and try a few hand stands or mini dives you will probably find several fishes doing nose dives with you, or even a whole shoal of them. No one will take any notice and it's a good way to cool down. The beach always looks busy but there is always a space and when I went the spanish were on holiday so it was very pleasant. People do smoke on the beach, but they are very aware that others might not. If there is a breeze and it is in your direction, along with the smoke, the move, they don't mean to offend and it is not worth getting annoyed about. You are just as likely to have one of the white doves that inhabit Elche Park sitting on the sand next to you, sunning itself. They don't like food thrown at them so don't bother, they do grub around and sometimes they will respond to the 'here birdie birdie' as you scatter crumbs but mostly they don't, so don't do it. It leaves a mess and you look silly! I saw nothing of the stag and hen nights, although I have no doubt they aren't far away. I saw one drunk English boy and that was it, and he looked very silly. There is a small port there and boats of all kinds coming and going, there is a covered area near there, where you can go and read books that are provided. I didn't go and look but I guess the books may be in Spanish, but there is nothing to stop you reading you own book there and just being in the company of similar others? It is open on all side and abuts the beach. There is a small naval museum near the port/toilets. Not a lot in it and the person running it did not seem to the the most friendly of curators but it is free and an important little place to see. There are shops behind the hotel so you can buy bottles of water (rather than use the machine) as they are cheaper. A twix will cost 1Euro in the shop 1.20 in the machines, tins of drink about the same. There are cafes almost next door, it really isn't necessary to have any meals in this hotel. Breakfast will cost you about 5 Euros whatever you have and so will the odd sandwich or beans on toast. or go Spanish and have churros y corto cafe. Watch out for the small black coffee's though they are very stront, most of the coffee is. Cafe American con leche should be a large white coffee, but, well, it is Spain, and each cafe will be different. I asked for 'something like cappuchino' in Spanish, he understood very well. I got a medium sized black coffee with aerosol cream on the top. I worked quite well. So don't expect too much. Sit inside if you don't want to even see cigarette smoke, the laws are the same as here. Stay hydrated on the beach, it isn't far to a cafe or machine but the beach is wide. People do walk the beach with a bucket of chilled drinks at 3 Euros and one fun looking guy was toting huge glasses of sangria on on a tray. I don't know the price and I don't drink but it would be worth any price just for him walking all that way with the glass held high, they looked great. Most people just seem to leave their gear and wander off to get food/drinks/lunch and come back later. They leave the unbrellas and bags, just fold the seats up to indicate 'gone for lunch'. If you like the idea of a bit of fishing then just by the port where they have built it up with rocks people have single lines out and sit happily for hours waiting for something to bite, and they get very excited when something does. It is quite a nice, if uncomfortable, place to hang out for a while watching the doves and people perching on the few flat pieces they can sit on! I didn't pay too much for this hotel 32 Euros a night but the singles suppliment was 9. I think it is normally more. I had a large double room. There are courtesy soaps and a hairdryier, and the beds are very comfortable. You have to pay a 10 euro deposit for the channel changer, but the tv is so high on the wall that if you are reading as well you wont watch it. You can get room service if you want, I saw one pass by and it looked very good. The local cafes are mostly English, so if you want to listen to Rado Magic, watch football and have people light up next to you then it is there. If you wan't want to listen to people talking about what they do in England then go the Spanish cafes, the often don't speak one word of English but wave your hands and smile and you will get what you want to eat from such nice people who go out of their way for you. It never ceases to suprise me that English has been such a large part of this area for so many years yet some speak it so little. That is not a criticism, just a curiosity point to me. Some of the hotel reception do not speak English, some speak very good English. There were some English people there when I stayed, I don't know what other cultures normally stay there. There was no pool, but there are some places nearby in the back streets that look very simple from the outside yet are hiding pools behind the walls. There is no fitness centre, the exercise machine in Elche Park are more than adequate for any fitness you probably do at home and if not, they will suffice. There is a small beach opposite the port and some steps up to restaurants and some craft stalls, sunset is good from here. There are more steps down to Levante beach. Don't be put off by the steps. Do like the Spanish of all ages and fitness - one foot after the other and the body follows. Stop when you need to, it is not a race and no one is judging you. If you can only do two steps at a time then do so, there are never as many as it looks and the view is interesting at each step, so you benefit however many you take. I have to say there are some shops in Benidorm they could well do without and the same has to be said of some of the buildings, but stick to the promenade and you can stop off for ice creams or snacks along the way, if you use a wheel chair, ditch it for a buggy and off you go, some even use double buggies and that is the adults! No holds barred. There are McDonalds, but there are also fun little trains on wheels that take you all round Benidorm for 3 Euros and a thing that looks like a tram for 7 Euros, there are also buses that do the same and you buy tickets and get on or off when you want. There are little places where you can buy a slice of pizza and there are gay bars, so there is something for everyone, neither are out of place and everyone watches eveyone, it is a Spanish pastime, so enjoy. Clearly holidays are what you make of them and that seems to apply to this hotel from the other reveiws.

Room Tip: Front and rear are quiet, shops and cafes are close. You don't need to have any meals here or ev...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank ladylime

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed 20 October 2012

My name is Sylvia Daniels. Both my sister Elaine & myself enjoyed our stay at this hotel & would certainly return. We have been to Benidorm twice a year for the past 7 years staying mostly in 4 star hotels & this hotel rates with the best. The staff felt like family members & the mix of patrons were mostly friendly. The hotel is without pool but the sea opposite is only a short stroll. A 3 star hotel with a 5 star vista from the front balcony rooms. Sadly there is a minus for us older ones in that the coach drop off point is on the road below with either steps to climb with heavy luggage or quite a walk up to hotel carrying or pulling our cases!

• Stayed October 2012
HMontemar-Benidorm, Director Comercial at Hotel Montemar, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
Dear Mrs Daniels, thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing them with us . We are very pleased to hear that our clients have an enjoyable time during their stay at our hotel, letting us know helps us to maintain our quality of service. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
stafford
Reviewed 13 October 2012

my name is bryan smith i have just come back from the monemar hotel in benidorm .myself and my wife were in benidorm 7 years ago ,,.wasnt to keen said we wouldnt go back however we thought we would try the montemar hotel this time .i found on arrivel the reception was very friendly .all the staff through our 10 day stay were realy good and made us feel at home.the hotel was spotless clean and room service came in every day and were realy great.the rooms were a fare size and over looked the sea.we found the resturant was very good and staff fast and friendly and a good choice to choose from .as for the location the hotel was in the town part facing the sea but within walking distance of the more blackpoolish side of things this was ideal for us we had a double bed in a good hotel .in the main part of town but by the sea sore all the night life but in the morning we could go out without all the sick fag ends and brocken glass of the other end of town .what made it for me was on the last day the manager came out of the hotel and wished us safe travel .the best hotel and staff we have ever had well worth going back to we are already planning to next year . b smith stafford

Room Tip: go for sea veiw by the harbor it is somthing speical
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bryan s
Dear Mr Smith,thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing them with us. We are very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable time at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Port Talbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2012

we satyed at this hotel for four nights. the hotel was clean and comfortable. we were half board. the food was centred around german origin. there was not much to choose from. they ran out of tea bags at breakfast. the germans were very rude and it was like a cattle market at meal times. the staff were friendly and helpful but the hotel was not geared up for british people. it was quite a way from levante a good twenty minute walk. the waitresses stood around talking and expected us to clear our own tables. i would not stay there again and would not reccomend the hotel for british travelers. if you are german you will love it. there is no pool just a sun terrace. the beach is across the road but again full of german and spanish who were very loud.

Room Tip: choose another hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
In our aim to improve, we value greatly the opinions of our customers. Our clients are not German, but Dutch. We would like to add, that we have a very high percentage of satisfaction amongst our British clients. We are sorry for not having met your expectations and we thank you for choosing us for your holidays in Benidorm.
Regards

stokeon
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Just returned from a great stay at the Montemar. Everyone member of staff we met were pleasant and friendly. Room was very clean, good choice of food and the sun terrace overlooking the sea was great.We will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank anneledgar
Thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing them with us. We are always very pleased to hear that our customers have an enjoyable stay at our hotel. I will pass on the compliments to the staff and we look forward to see you again soon.
The Management at the Hotel Montemar
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Just back from a week in Benidorm with a group of friends. Chose the Montemar because of the location, close to the old town and beaches. A really good value choice. Clean and comfortable with friendly and helpful staff. It was a good base for the bars and restaurants in the old town and a reasonable walk to the bars in the new town. An early morning walk, before eight, down Poniente in the morning was a great start to the day.

Room Tip: Go for a see view it is worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Michael M
HMontemar-Benidorm, Director General at Hotel Montemar, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Dear Michael M,
On behalf of the management at the Hotel Montemar, thank you very much for your kind words and for sharing them with everyone. We are happy that our customers feel at home in our hotel, and thus let us know, as this makes us grow every day. I will gladly pass on your compliments to the staff of the hotel. Kind regards
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks with our 2 teenage kids and had a great time. Very clean both the rooms and the actual hotel, very polite and friendly staff. The views are amazing, less than 5 minutes walk from the beach..and yummy food indeed. Good value for money. All in all we loved it
we are coming back next year. Thank you Montemar. Viva Espana indeed :)

• Stayed September 2011