“Stay Cheeky goes to Valor chocolates”

Valor Museo Del Chocolate
Ranked #4 of 25 things to do in Villajoyosa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I went to this factory as part of my research for my next book. It is good to see and hear how chocolate is manufactured ( I eat plenty). I found this tour interesting and well presented and the chocolate was available in many flavours and sizes. Stay Cheeky.

1  Thank staycheeky
"production line"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 27 February 2014

No dislikes.
The free tasting at the end of the tour was very nice.
Purchased quiet alot in their shop !!!

Reviewed 22 February 2014

The tour was free and very good - sometimes free tours aren't and other times, you pay for tours you wish you hadn't. I'd have happily paid for this one! We began with a video (in Spanish - which I didn't understand) - the adverts were funny at the end. The tour guide then took us around the museum and in both English and Spanish, explained some of the history and the process. The tools and artifacts were all very interested and we even got to sample some cocoa beans (bitter to say the least!). We got to see the factory and the workers busy packing bars of chocolate into boxes - it was great to see them all in action and to understand the process further. Understandably, photos were forbidden at this point. Even through the perspex, you could smell the chocolate - it was incredible! We finished in the shop, where we sampled three varieties of Valor chocolate (I managed to eat 12 squares! It was so moreish) and managed to make our purchases - the drinking chocolate is highly recommended. The truffles on display were beautifully laid out with a number of varieties, I wish I could have transported those back with me. All in all, a very good afternoon!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

First off, I like Valor chocolate. The brand is, perhaps, to Spain what Cadbury's is to England. It's in all the shops, there are many varieties, some with fruit and/or nuts. But the quality is supreme.

The tour went some way to explaining why. The factory offers free visits on the hour, and people tend to wait 10-20 minutes before the clock strikes to ensure they get in. I felt a little like Charlie Bucket waiting at the gates of Wonka's factory. If you are a couple of minutes late they *will* make you wait for the next. Not to worry as my wife and I were there 20 minutes early. There is a pleasant outdoor waiting area. We were met at 11am sharp by a pleasant multi-lingual guide who explained that first we would watch a video in Spanish about chocolate production, then see the museum, and finally a tour of the factory.

The video was OK, it would have been better with subtitles but I could pick out some important phrases. After our guide explained some of the content, that Valor buy only the best cocoa beans (cacao they call it) from Ecuador and Ghana, three different types with different taste properties. How they blend these three, and how much cocoa butter they remove results in the various varieties of chocolate. The factory was started by a local man in his house in 1881 and the current large facility was begun in the 1960s. Valor is still family owned, and an important part of the history, culture and economy of Villajoyosa.

The museum is a house, with chocolate making machinery and tools from the 1880's to 1940s. From the hand rollers as used by the founder of the company to semi-automated mixers and grinders. You can photograph these without any complaints from the guide despite signs saying not to.

However once you enter the factory itself, photography is strictly forbidden. A huge shame from my point of view but I suppose it's a privacy issue for the workers and perhaps they also wish to keep industrial secrets. Our guide made a point, politely, of telling everyone in their own language that no use of cameras was allowed and I did see a couple of security men keeping an eye on us.

Since this was February, the factory wasn't operating at full capacity. Nonetheless we saw the machines going, the conveyors of ground cocoa going into huge ovens, the liquid chocolate emerging and being poured into moulds for chocolate bars, bonbons etc. There were a few workers supervising the processes and cleaning. We also saw the packing area where a few people were packaging the finished product for distribution. Also of interest was the fact that a huge lorry was delivering sugar to the plant when we went in, and was still dispensing its load as we left. A few of the workers acknowledged us with nods and I got the impression it's a good place to work. The smell of melted chocolate pervaded my nostrils almost everywhere. One last word on the factory, of course there is a glass barrier between the public and the choc production for hygiene reasons. Any time I have visited a food factory there has been a physical barrier between public and factory floor.

Finally there was another exhibit with Valor chocolate wrappers down the years and some amazing chocolate sculptures, and at the very end of course there's a shop. You can sample a few varieties of their product and buy some if you choose. Absolutely no pressure is put on you to buy, you're left alone after the factory tour. You could choose to exit if you prefer not to buy.

But buy we did as we already know we like Valor chocolate and we wanted to take some home for friends as it's not widely available in the UK.

All in all a nice trip. We combined it with a visit to the nearby market on a Thursday morning, having taken the TRAM from Benidorm. It's free, it passes an hour nicely. There are some steps so people with mobility issues may have difficulty. There are amply toilet facilities in the museum part of the site.

1  Thank absinthe_boy