“Un menu muy rico y tipico.”
Review of Pepe Pica - CLOSED

Pepe Pica
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: La Seu
Valencia, Spain
“Un menu muy rico y tipico.”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I had a fantastic lunch on Plaza de la Reina in Valencia. This place Pepe Pica offers a great menu for lunch. I went during the week and chose the paella valenciana for starters, then merluza *hake" for seconds, and finally some "sandia" *watermelon" for dessert. A very substantial yet healthy option! I highly recommend this place as it is all very fresh and tasty. I have been to many other places in this touristic area of Valencia and was frequently disappointed. However this place is excellent. I have attached a photo of the meal I had! The menu was 13 euros. Plus a couple for a soft drink. The service was quick and friendly.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
Oirschot, The Netherlands
“Good location, less good food”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Although it was generally OK, it was by far not the best food we had in Valencia. This is really a place meant to draw in tourists (good thing is they don't actively try to sell you their menu, as they do in many, many other Valencian restaurants: pretty annoying). The food was acceptable in quality and the price reasonable. There was a nasty stench hanging outside on the terrace though (you can imagine what type...).

• Visited July 2013
Westport CT
“Pleasant - but not best food”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We made the mistake of thinking that because this was Valencia, we would be able to get good paella at this restaurant. We went with the fixed price menu - first course was very good (we had the jamon and also the croquettes) but both paellas (Valencia and seafood) were just one step above Rice-A-Roni. Desserts were fine (crème catalan and flan). Price was good. Perhaps if we had ordered one of the other items on the menu, the restaurant would have received a higher rating. We spoke with a couple next to us who had ordered the fish and they said it was "OK", but not outstanding.

Difficult to find a good restaurant in tourist areas -- we should have done more research.

• Visited May 2013
Valencia, Spain
“In the shadow of The Grail!!”
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Friendly service next to Valencia most sought after tourist attractions.
I had a beer and a 5euro pork and pepper sandwich which hit the spot perfectly. We'll portioned, hot and fast.
My friend had patatas bravas with a pile of Iberica ham (first trip to Spain). We were in for about 25euro all said and done.
Enjoyed it and I'll be back.

• Visited May 2013
Cork, Ireland
“Not to be missed for the phenomenal paella lunch deal”
Reviewed 6 March 2013

The first time I went to Valencia, I happened to be traveling with a Frommer's guide to the city. One afternoon we were in the main square of the Old Town, looking around for a place to go for lunch. I remembered that the Frommer's guide had mentioned a great lunch deal at the restaurant in the area, so I looked it up, and then we went and looked for the restaurant. It turned out to be Pepe Pica, and the best lunch deal—and paella—ever.

Pepe Pica is located on the edge of a beautiful square in Valencia's historic Old Town, within the shadow of the cathedral. There's seating outdoors and in. The paella is prepared in time for lunch in a massive pan which sits just inside the window, and is the best advertisement for the place you could think of. (It's actually funny watching passers-by, while you're sitting there eating your lunch, stop in their tracks at the sight of it.) We knew the set menu was around €10 per person so when we were handed a long menu, I presumed you could pick one main course and one dessert, and that the paella would come in a tiny cereal-sized bowl and the dessert would be a scoop of ice-cream or a sliver of cake. I mean, what else would you get for just under €10 right in the heart of a tourist-centric city?

Turns out you get stuffed with the most delicious food. There was a starter (a soup, I think), followed by a huge helping of Valencian paella (which was SO delicious; words can't describe—easily the best paella we had while in Spain, not just while in Valencia) and a generous dessert, plus coffee. We were in shock that we could get such amazing food for such little money—and also, we were in a carb coma because paella does that to you.

I think it would be a crying shame to visit Valencia and not stop here for lunch. Delicious food, good service, a sunny spot to people-watch while you eat and the best paella you'll find. What's not to like?!

I've been back since, and I even e-mailed the author of the Frommer's guide to thank him for including Pepe Pica in his book. We'd never have found it otherwise.

• Visited April 2012