“Paella Valenciana in its birthplace”

Restaurante Levante Valencia
Ranked #214 of 3,452 Restaurants in Valencia
Price range: US$24 - US$55
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Minneapolis
“Paella Valenciana in its birthplace”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

I carefully researched where the best Paella might be in Valenciana and Levantes was the winner.
We made reservations on line ahead of time. It is not in the center of the city so a taxi was necessary. It's a lovely restaurant, quite new, sophisticated decor. I believe the chef's wife and owner greeted and seated and waited on us.
We ordered the tasting menu for 25 eu as that was the only way we could have Paella valenciana on that day. Different paellas are specials on different days. We decided to order wine by the glass since we were there at lunch. I can't tell you what it was, but it was white, and very reasonable. Had we ordered the wine by the bottle, it would only have been 8 eus!
The tasting menu included 3 starters, paella and dessert made by "our mother."
The starters were terrific..homemade croquettes (the best we had on this trip, and we had a lot of them), homemade ajoarriero (a puree of creamed potatoes, broad beans & cod) and my favorite, a "little bag of chard stuffed with black pudding".
The paella was chicken, rabbit, broad beans (fava, I think), green beans and tomato. It was very tasty...but not swoonable...There was no soccaratt...the crust that forms on the bottom. The restaurant cannot use wood burning stoves in the city, so they must use gas or electric, I can't remember. So, I was disappointed.
I frankly can't remember the assortment of homemade desserts though I do recall that they were all three delicious. I guess I'm still searching for the perfect paella!

• Visited November 2012