“Tasting menu -- fabulous”

El Celler del Tossal
Ranked #32 of 3,751 Restaurants in Valencia
Price range: US$21 - US$49
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Rice, char grill and wine. The three pillars of our restaurant in the very heart of the old city.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Modern but comfortable interior (you have to see the bathroom) in the old city. We had a party of 7 and we had the tasting menu. It was great -- particularly loved the stewpot with chickpeas. A nice amount of food and good value at Euro 25. Had an excellent Priorat. Everyone enjoyed the meal. Our server was very friendly and I am hoping he is sending me the recipe for the chickpeas! Our best meal in Spain.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

Well presented restaurant in the old city. The food was very well cooked but we are not as enthusiastic about the atmosphere, perhaps too serious and formal for us. But it is by no means their fault.

1  Thank meliakim k
Reviewed 30 June 2014

What a wonderful find. A Small and perfectly presented restaurant . The waiting on staff were extremely professional. We both had the sample menu and we were both excited by each dish that was served, we also had a glass of wine to suit each dish. Totally stunning. 25 euros per person.6 courses. Mussels to start, watermelon gazpacho, poached egg with Iberica ham, mushroom risotto with squid, fish with pesto and to finish Coffee ice cream with pistachio cake and foam. We could have happily chosen any of the dishes to have as a main dish however I certainly wouldn't have been able to choose. The chef certainly knows his stuff.!!!! Definitely a 'Must Visit'. Book in advance as there are only about 8 tables in the main restaurant but there is a larger room downstairs for group bookings/private dinning. You will not be disappointed.

1  Thank laurie r
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Great food. Restaurant maybe a little to formal and lacked atmosphere but chef knows what he is doing, great standard. Didn't try taster menu as I eat fish but not meat but looked great and good value. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Firstly, you need to book. The restaurant is quite small.
Secondly you need to find it as it has no large frontage.

Once there, we were made to feel very welcome by all the staff and proprietor. This continued through the evening.

The place is smart with good decor and white linen tablecloths.

We went for the 35 EUR taster menu. We had four tapas/starters served individually, one at a time. We then had a choice of mains. I had fillet steak and my wife had grupa. Boyne were excellent. The tiramisu we had for desert was just excellent.

The wine list is enormous. We plumped for a bottle of red, the name of which I don't remember but at 19 EUR it was a bargain.

You can have wine selected for you for each course but that's a lot of wine.

I'm in the "I know what I like" camp rather than a wine buff but I am sure a wine buff would have field day here.

We had a Spanish brandy and a calvados with our coffees both of which were top quality.

We left very happy and slightly the worse for wear after paying 110 EUR for the evening

Very happy indeed. A must visit if in Valencia