“Home away from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valencia
Valencia Mindfulness Retreat
Ranked #1 of 79 Valencia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Traveling alone again for the first time in almost 20 years since having a family and kids of my own, Dany and Thijs (the best hosts in the world) confirmed to me what I hoped to be true: There are still gems out there, waiting to be discovered. Both of the human kind and in the form of places to visit. This B&B and the very, very special couple that runs it, are truly an example of such.

After walking through the door and being met by Dany and a few of the other guests (who by the way without exception ALL, proved to be lovely people, the whole week I was there) I felt at ease, and …yes, at Home.

The perfection of the service, the clean, soft towels changed every day (I had to ask Thijs to stop! ;), the crisp clean bedlinen, the gorgeous, sumptuous breakfast that was waiting, courtesy of Dany, every morning at 9 after the perfect 8 o'clock meditation session with Thijs, in their stunningly beautiful, sunlit meditation room. (I have to mention the "built-in" meditation-timer in form of the 500-or-so year-old church-bell across the street. absolutely wonderful…)
The location simply couldn't be better. Located in the heart of the old part of Valencia, one can walk everywhere within minutes, and explore the town on foot or by rented bicycle. but even being as central as it is, it still gets completely quiet at night as it is set back a couple of blocks away from the busy Barrio del Carmen and Plaza del Virgin.
The interior and rooms are as thoughtfully and personally decorated as if one is visiting some art-loving friends, with a good sense of feng-shui. And indeed, that is actually what one does there. One is visiting a home. Anyone expecting a "hotel", won't find it. But if one understands the concept of the B&B, one will find an example of such to perfection. They really know what they're doing, and they do it from the heart. And it comes across.

For me, I not only gained a Home away from Home in Valencia, I also found true friendship, the most valuable gift of all. I simply can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you want to have the option to sleep-in in the morning and not join breakfast at 9, ask for a roo...
1  Thank Hoges123

Reviewed 24 April 2014

This first visit to Valencia was magic. What a great city, surprising and lovely in so many ways. The mindfulness B&B included.

I would find it hard to describe the magic in writing. Logic would suggest much depends on the hosts, Dany and Thijs, and of course it does, as has been said already, they are indeed the perfect hosts. The beach bag with just the right sun factor, water and sweets hidden under the towels and sarongs was just one of many deft touches. As was personally locating us on arrival and accompanying us to free parking. Now that's what I call service.

Of course being a same sex couple it helps to know your B&B hosts will be totally cool with everything, it's amazing how often you still get awkward moments, and even an embarrassing 'I'm sorry we only have a double bed' when you check in to places. Having said that, the hosts are very straight-friendly ;) There was a full house and we were the only other same sex couple.

Logic would also suggest that a lot should depend on who the other guests are. During our stay all mixed convivially around the breakfast table and shared stories. We met lovely people and had a great time. Lucky? Perhaps. But on leaving we could not help feeling that Valencia, the environment, our hosts, the other guests and a certain mindfulness "vibe" were working their magic.

We will return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A-non-o-mouse
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I cannot recommend enough this place - it is a real gem and from the 1st class hospitality provided by the hosts, the excellent accommodation & delicious breakfast served each morning together with its location being in the heart of the old city so everything is on your doorstep.

Nothing is too much trouble including a no deposit reservation policy and payment only when you have stayed, enjoyed breakfast and you are satisfied. They run a truly exemplary establishment inc daily meditation / yoga with no pressure to participate

I was hesitate over the shared bathrooms but as this was on the basis of 1 bathroom for 2 bedrooms this wasn't a problem at all and the bathroom was spotlessly clean at all times

Highly highly recommended. C

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Wow what a find. I love Valencia... But more so because of this place. I too had read the reviews and it sounded almost too good to be true, but it really wasn't. The most perfect central location, which is of course a bonus but the real deal was the most delightful and perfect hosts ever. Truly made me feel so welcome and beyond helpful. The idea of everyone eating breakfast together is a wonderful idea and I honk great that it is so actively encouraged. I didn't on the first morning as went out exploring, but missed a trick. How do you manage also to get the best guests? I will be back, but the marathon in November this year may well be a bit optimistic. Although not to cheer others on. Dany and Thijs keep up the most amazing service I've been telling everyone about your place so expect some of pips friends very soon.

3  Thank Pipstery78
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Everything you see and read is true! The mindfulness retreat is really really lovely and I can't imagine returning to Valencia and staying anywhere else.

So let's start from the basics. The mindfulness retreat is in a fantastic location in the old town. I was a solo traveller and it was great to have everything at my fingertips. I explored everywhere on foot and felt safe coming and going at any time of the day or night.

The bed and breakfast itself is spread over two charming apartments. It is tastefully furnished and all the pictures you see on trip advisor are recent I promise! The first apartment is where guests enter the bed and breakfast and contains the sun-filled breakfast room, seating area and a number of spacious rooms. Additional rooms are in the second apartment (all lovely and spacious) which is reached by crossing a small internal courtyard and this is where i stayed with a beautiful room overlooking the street and the blue skies to wake me up each morning. The bathrooms are spotlessly clean and fluffy towels are available to your hearts delight.

Dany and Thijs are the perfect hosts. They consistently managed to give each guest a respectful privacy whilst creating a homely environment which is restful and welcoming. One highlight is the sociable breakfast table in the mornings. Guests are encouraged to join the table each morning, a surprisingly pleasant ritual which i looked forward to more and more as the week wore on. Breakfast itself is plentiful and Dany's attention to detail ensures a fabulously overwhelming choice of items, my favourite was always the freshly baked bread but i dutifully ate my wonderful fresh fruit too and felt all the better for it.

Yoga and meditation is available in the mornings for anyone willing but it was certainly not obligatory and just added to my experience. Mindfulness, we must remember, has at its core awareness of the reality of things and this flows through the bed and breakfast in a very tangible fashion. You get the impression that every paint tone, painting, key ring has been chosen with love and care creating a truly lovely backdrop to your stay in Valencia.

So, to conclude, this is not a hotel but in a very good way and i would thoroughly recommend it!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JenBowers
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We stayed a week at the Valencia Mindfulness Retreat during the March 2014 Fallas Festival. It's an exciting and active time in the city and our hosts made our visit quite special. Dany and Thijs were incredible hosts, warm, friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Both are experienced travelers and know just how to pamper their guests. The place is beautiful, comfortable, clean and relaxing. Great place to read a book. There are many books to choose from. We would return to enjoy all that is provided, including the Yoga, fabulous breakfasts shared with others from around the world and overall tranquility. We had a great visit and were able to experience Valencia, Las Fallas, and be a part of the fabric of the city. The hosts are expert at making you feel at home. We must mention the aroma of bread baking each evening. Yummy!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I have never stayed at a Bed and Breakfast before, but I was lured by the Travelers Choice Award and great reviews of this unusual city center location in Valencia, and oh my did I enjoy it!
Yes, you have breakfast with all other guests at a wonderful set table bathing in sunlight every day, and yes, before going out to dinner you might share a glass of Rioja with other guests in one of the salons, but of course there is always the privacy of one´s own room. My private bathroom was spotless at any time.
I loved the central location, the love in design and feel of this beautifully appointed B & B, but most of all I enjoyed sharing my experiences with other guests. I´ve been to five star hotels before, but I´ve never had the time and hospitality as by Dany the host of this B & B. I might not get as lucky next time booking my holidays, but from now on it´s small scale boutique Bed and Breakfasts for me only! It might be quirky, it might be different, but I met a couple from Australia who invited me for a stay next year, and also I met a lady from New York who invited me to her summer house and well, we all became friends. Hosts told me this is what they aim for, and I feel really lucky for this unique experience. If you want 100 % privacy, this amazing ´piece of realness´ might not be your thing. Also, they have morning meditations, and I did not participate (as I can´t stand that stuff and I was here for the Fallas parties). But I felt no pressure at all to join in, and all was good. I have never experienced this level of service before and have travelled extensively. I will be happy to return any time. Thank you Dany and Thijs for a meaningful experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the inside of the house, as it is most quiet and you´ll hear practically nothing a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple