“Modern boutique hotel in convenient location”

Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Set on a quiet street, the hotel is a short walk (about 500 meters) away from main historic area where you can get to all major must-see sites in about 10 minutes by foot. The decor is a mix of historic Valencia, modern hip, and thai resort (patio). The rooms are tastefully done and very clean (although the wall mounted LCD TV is a bit small at 17"). The rooms aren't that big either. On arrival, the doorman offered to park my car but didn't mention that overnight parking would cost 26 Euros (which I later found out at the front desk during check in). I read this someone on another reviewer's comment so it looks like this is something that happens regularly at this hotel. Just be sure to ask. I came on a holiday so street parking is free - so I just took the car back out and parked it right out front.

Check-in was relatively smooth, and our suitcases had already been delivered to our room by the time we were handed our keys. A welcome drinks was also offered to us - (orange juice or water) was also nice. Free wifi internet is a plus! Service is problem-free and efficient (although I suspect the hotel could do even better if they hired one more person to handle the concierge services) but front desk staff could smile a bit more. :-)

The gym only has 2 treadmills and 2 bicycles so if you need a real gym, this hotel won't do for you.

Overall, my wife and I were quite satisfied with our stay. Note that we are quite happy to go about our business ourselves. All we look for is a convenient location, cleanliness, modern and chic architecture, and professional no-nonsense service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the inner courtyard are very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Absolutely first rate service and value in central Valencia.

We were able to get two rooms with a private hallway, making this an ideal family arrangement.

Rooms are well appointed and front desk staff are very friendly and accommodating. Staff parked the rental car and hand delivered a beer to the room after a very long travel day.

This hotel will be our first choice when returning to Valencia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a frontage balcony so that you can view the action in the morning.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank randomvector
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This hotel has everything - staff, location, comfort, cleanliness. We travel an awful lot - if only all hotels were like this one.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonathan022
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Hello,
I stayed in thid hotel on 6-8 of march, I forgot 5 clothing items in the gardrobe, I was going to visit the hotel again at the end of the march so I told the recepcionist, if I forgot anything pls keep it for me I will be here, and make a reservation for the next visit dates.
When I arrived my flat I realized that my insticts were true I forgot my 5 clothing items, they were not in my laugage.
So before my next visit on 29 march and 1 april I called the hotel I am coming please prepare my staffs I will take them back. When I arrived they told me they didnt find any item. I insist on the issue but they were more defending themselves than helping me. After a day and a night I talked to the manager of the hotel she was interested in defending the hotel than to listen and help or investigate the issue. While we were discussing she offered me free massage which I found it insulting, I just wanted to have my clothes back and hotel manager whom sharing my concern and helping to investigate, to help me, but it didnt happen.
I am very sorry about my experience in this hotel, I lost my items beside I couldnt get help and I am offered a free massage intstead of trying to find.

Gizem Aktorun

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank gizem a
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I have no doubt that the hotel has the facilities required to obtain 5 stars; however what the ratings don't tell you is;
They are massively understaffed and those there are not effectively trained.
The room service is dire (several phone calls required).
The pool area needs a good clean and needs checking to ensure the sauna/steam room are working.
There is no bottled water supplied in the room (there is water only in reception).
The positive points are that the hotel is in a very good and yet quiet location. It would best be classed as a decent 4 star hotel. With a little effort increased staff and training it could be fab.
The overall impression is one of disappointment; the management would do well to listen to client complaints and visit a true boutique 5 star hotel of which there are many; the building alone doesn't do the job.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2012

This hotel is in the center of the action. It is within walking distance to everything important in Valencia. It has got a nice, modern, clean elegant style, but the staff was not as personal as a smaller, quainter hotel. The rooms are clean, sleek and modern.

Room Tip: Just be careful of the upper rooms. They are huge, but they don´t have windows directly in front of...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 March 2012

On my 5th visit to Valencia to visit friends and family, I chose this hotel for its location and 5star declaration. This is not a 5star hotel. Its a nice hotel but the staff repeatedly let it down. They are polite and try to be helpful but lack training. I asked for a taxi and was told no taxi was available due to road closures, I hailed a taxi right outside the hotel. Even though the festivities of the Fallas was in full flow the bar was never staffed, we sat in the bar for 25 minutes without once being asked if we required any thing even though we were in plain sight of the front desk. This happened more than once and on one occasion the night manager made drinks as there were no bar staff at all, our Valencian friends were stunned. Then there was the cold cooked breakfast. This was the final straw and after our complaint the service did improve a little.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director de Recepción at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Dear Guest:

We're very sorry not meeting your expectations on this occasion.
It is not an excuse that your stay in our establishment coincided with the celebration of Las Fallas, when the hotel was in maximum occupancy. At all times our commitment is to provide the highest level of service.
That's why, as well as I did when we speak personally on site, now I apologize again for not being able to anticipate your wishes, as you told me, and for having failed in some simple things but important for you.
I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to Hospes Palau de la Mar in the near future, and assist you as you really expect from us.

Yours sincerely,