“Worst Five Star I Have Ever Seen”

Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel
Ranked #5 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
“Worst Five Star I Have Ever Seen”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel should be downgraded to a 4 star and then at half the price and then would be a "decent" place to stay, We spent 253€ for a triple in a room that had psuedo-wood, "plastic" floors and a terrace that opened onto a brick wall, almost no light, and the smallest TV and closet I have ever seen. No menu in the room, and when we went dowstairs to the interior garden for a drink we waited 20 minutes before anyone even appeared, when we tried again the next day there had been an event before us, terrace was completely filthy and no waiters to be found. Save your money and go to a 4 star in Valencia where you can get big spacy rooms, pools and at least good quality for money. The hotel has the smallest plainest entry you have ever seen, really they are ripping you off at these rates, if they would make 4 star rates it COULD be a decent place to stay..It has a good location and the bed was nice, but apart from this its a joke, AND they charged us 20€ for 2 fried eggs HA HA HA...please....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melinda Elaine S
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Customer:
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel , your feedback is appreciated.
My team and I regret to learn that in certain aspects, our hotel did not meet your expectations, especially regarding the delay in providing the service on the terrace. We will certainly investigate together with the head of F&B department the reason of this aspect which is definitely not in our hotel standards.
However, with my entire respect for your opinion, please allow me to get back to your comments and clarify the information:
In Hospes Palau de la Mar there is no room having a " pseudo -wood " or "plastic floors”. More than that, all the rooms´floor are designed with a natural wood parquet in wenge color. In the bathrooms we have placed natural wood floors or ceramic tiles.
Talking about your reservation, you booked a Superior room ( 28m2 ) . Subject to availability and trying to offer you more value for the same money, you have received a free upgrade to a Deluxe room (36 m2). This Deluxe room has been rated by the most of our customers as the quitest room. Having a private atmosphere especially because of its interior terrace, not with a view but open ceiling . We do understand that it is a matter of personal oppinion and taste and it´s a pitty that you did not share it with us during your stay. We could have offered you an alternative, consisting in a different deluxe room with a city or garden view.
The entrance of our hotel and the lobby are widely presented , both on our website and right here onTripadvisor . Respecting the same law of the personal taste and oppinion, the entrance space for our design boutique hotel has been appreciated by the professionals as a generous one. Not to forget that the property represents a renovated historic palace, which according to the law had to keep the original architecture, offering the feeling of beeing welcomed ¨home¨ and getting back in history of this house.
I remain at your disposal for any further information.

Vicente Juanis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We wanted to offer us a treat and booked a Dreamer room; the room was described as "bright and with warm colours", but actually had not even a Window (except for the bathroom), with dark blackish furniture and was tiny - you can just walk around the bed. Other details such nowhere to hang your towel, and bed lamps which could only be switched on both or none (annoying if one wants to read and the other sleep). The doors do not soundproof well such that you hear anyone walking through the hallway. We understood at that moment why no-one showed us our room at check-in. We went down again and raised the issue; the receptionist asked for some patience because the hotel was sold out that day. Unfortunately, no-one ever got back to us. Mentioning the issue at checkout, we were offered a 10% discount; we were so disappointed anyway that we didn't negotiate, even though we booked directly at the hotel and not via a booking platform (such that they got 15% at least more than for e.g. booking.com clients..). We didn't try breakfast for 27 Euros nor the restaurant, there are nice cafes around the corner. Location is OK but about 15 minutes walk to the centre. Room-service is OK. All in all: a big disappointment, we have seen 2 star hotels with better rooms and better service at half the price at better locations.

Room Tip: Forget "Dreamer" rooms, they are tiny and dark.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tigurus
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you for the time you took to write your opinion.

We are very sorry that the hotel didn't meet your expectations. We have noted all your comments to share them with the team members and solve them as soon as possible.

In case you decide to stay with us in a future, please let us know your preferences before arriving and we will do our best to give you the room suits better to you.

Best Regards,

Wisborough Green, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I recently spent a couple of nights at this city centre hotel. You wouldn't know from the street how lovely it is inside! It was such a great surprise to enter this modern, stylish hotel and we were given a very warm welcome. Our room was a very spacious room on the fifth floor, together with a huge bathroom. The only downside was not having a view outside, just large velux windows but at least we had plenty of light. If we'd been staying longer, I would have preferred a room with a view. Breakfast was buffet style and offered a great choice, all very tasty. It was very easy to walk into the old city centre so a very central location. We were never disturbed by noise from the outside though, probably because we were high up and without streetside windows. There is a lovely covered terrace at the back of the hotel, which unfortunately we didn't get to use as had other plans but if we stay here again, I'll make a point of having a drink or two out there!

Room Tip: Choose a room on the fifth floor - you forgo a view but its very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Madam:

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your experience in our Hospes Palau de la Mar with the Tripadvisor's readers. And, of course, I thank you for your kind comments regarding our property.

I am proud to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope to welcome you back soon in Valencia. It will be nice to get in contact with you for helping with your next reservation, and we can choose all together the most convenient room for a pleasant and quiet stay.

Please receive my best regards.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Although I stayed There as a business traveller , but I felt it a very good hotel for a family stay , near the riverside ,city centre .nice room great breakfast , good ambience lounge and above all very nice staff, I suggest myself to plan a family vacation and enjoy the stay with this hotel

Room Tip: First floor room ,and specially opposite entrance
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing our Hospes Palau de la mar for your last stay in Valencia and for taking the time to share your experience with the Tripadvisor Community.

I will be very glad to welcome you if you come back with your family in the coming future. I am sure they will love our cosy city and we will make you again feel at home.

Receive my kindest regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

Lovely old property with a modern renovation.

To start they gave us a room in the garden which was a bit like being in a converted garage under a house. Gracias pero non!

So we moved to a small but very nice room overlooking the main street.

Great locations to walk to city centre in 20mins the museusm etc at Ciudad del Artes or whatever its called.

Good friendly staff - We were in town to go to La Tomatina festival so when we walked back ito the hotel very drunk and covered in tomato, they were happy laugh it off. Bueno!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear guest
Thank you very much for your kind comments regards our location and staff. We hope to welcome you again in your next trip to Valencia.
Best Wishes
Reviewed 10 April 2014 via mobile

I stayed here and I would go back. That's the first thing I have to say. I do think the management need to do something to sort out the noise that can be heard outside in the corridors. Especially from noisy staff. Clean an inexpensive (for a hotel that classes itself as 5 stars - not for those on a budget) In a good location. Not far from the City Center. On my last day I chose to have a bit of a lay in. I was woken up at 9am by one of the staff trying to get in to clean the room. Check out was at 12 noon. All in all a nice hotel and I did have a good experience. But some things do need to be addressed.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment your stay in our Hospes Palau de la Mar.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our property and in Valencia.

This information you have given is very important for us because it help us to improve our service in order to achieve the standards desired.

Amsterdam
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel for a weekend getaway to Valencia. It's nicely located near the old town and shopping district. The hotel is clean and its interior is very modern. We had a room with a double bed, bathroom with a view on the garden. The rooms have wooden floors, which make them a bit noisey, especially when your upstairs neighbour wears high heels...
Other than that the hotel is fine. Free wifi, helpful staff en well priced (package deal thru Expedia). Would definately stay here again when visiting Valencia another time.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toetjesfreak
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding our property. I am very proud to read that Hospes Palau de la Mar has reached your expectations.

We really hope to welcome you back very soon.