“Very nice stay”

Barcelo Valencia
Ranked #31 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Great location close to the City of Arts and Sciences and close to the Turia gardens which was lovely to walk through. The hotel itself was very luxorious but very affordable, I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Charlotte Louis... H
Write a ReviewReviews (2,033)

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Flew to Valencia and caught Metro train to the hotel. It is only a 5 min walk from the station.

Very good hotel. It is new so it was clean and smelt great. Ask for a room overlooking City of Arts and Sciences as our window view was stunning. We didn't bother with breakfast and went to a cafe called Glasol which is next to Barcelo about a minute walk. Very good cheap cafe.

Reception staff were very helpful, speak English and booked us an early morning taxi.

Location is a bit tricky. It is at least a 30 min walk to the old town and just as long to the beach. Make sure you use the no.19 bus to get into town. It leaves from outside the hotel and costs €1.50.

I recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Ask for a view of Arts and Sciences
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Amy_and_Ads
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Check in was reasonable quick but as we were slightly earlier than the 14:00 check-in time, the rooms were not ready so we left the bags with reception & went for a walk..not a problem.

We booked 2 double rooms next to each other & although the room were spacious, the design was some what odd & impractical. To have a shower, you have to slid a door to effectively split the room in half & although not a problem if you are a couple but if you have kids with you, its daft. Why they could not just have a 'normal' door to the bathroom, god only knows.

This brings me to the toilet which had a cloudy/see through glass door which was difficult to shut properly & again, I don't understand the point if it.

Some other dislikes...
- the TV was too small in comparison to the room & a lot of the channels did not work
- to open the window, you had to insert a handle left by the TV which into a lock & turn to open the window 2 inches
- noise from the rooms upstairs
- the main door SLAMS shut. Really annoying epically when its early morning or late in the evening
- lifts were very small & cramped i.e.. we were a family of 4 with just hand luggage & we would have struggled to fit another 2 people with luggage & be comfortable
- I guess one of the biggest gripes was that breakfast was not included in the price of the room. I know I booked it knowing this but I have stayed at many hotels in Spain & other countries where the room rate has been a lot less yet breakfast was always included.

The location for us was a slight let down also. It was a good 40-45 walk to Old Town & the same to the beach. At approx 7 euros one way, over a few days, it all adds up. We could have hired bikes from the hotel but that would have worked out the same if not more plus there is only a limited number so first come first serve.

To see the museums & the opera house, the location is PERFECT as its just a few minutes walk away.

Just on eating out on the beech & in Old Town....be sure what you are ordering & paying for. We were enticed into 2 restaurants, 1 saying kids under 10 an eat free when with a full paying adult but they still charged us for out 10 year old. When questioned, they said it was for a specific menu which was not even offered to us. They other occasion was where we were offered a combination from Starters, main & pudding but the quality of the food was awful & the portions were kids portions.

I would recommend a number of small cafe that offer Spanish food & or go to many fresh bakeries or if you really want to...there are all the fast food joints

Valencia is well connected by trains & buses but I think the easiest way to get around is by bike, as long as you & your party are up for some exercise & its a bike friendly town.

Finally, the beech is very big & not at all crowded. You will easily find a spot but like most places, it is spoilt some what, as are the parks & pools around the town buy mindless people who litter everywhere.

I cannot comment on the food at the hotel as we did not eat there but I would recommend a restaurant just a few minutes away, La Mafia.

Overall the stay was very pleasant & I would like to come back one day but I will not stay at Hotel Barcelo again & be more aware of the reps standing outside restaurants trying to entice tourists.

One thing that deserves a mention is that the staff at the hotel were very helpful, epically Roberto.

Room Tip: The best rooms will be on the upper floors facing the opera house but they come at a cost, which per...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bbgtpog
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights. Location is great and our room on the 9th floor had a wonderfull view. Staff was very nice and breakfast was delicious. Quite expensive (15 euros per person) but so many choices. Unfortunately we didn't like the room at all. It was clean but the quality of the used materials was very poor and the room was only suitable for couples as there was absolutely no privacy when using the toilet and shower. Also the gym was right above us, so one morning we heard a lot of noise coming through the ceiling. Another morning the fire alarm went off.
It's a good place to stay but next time I will try another hotel in Valencia.

Room Tip: middle of 9th floor should have best view
1  Thank bosbes
Reviewed 27 March 2014

The hotel is ideally located and we couldn't have been happier or more grateful for the friendly assistance of the reception team. I would highly recommend the hotel and would not hesitate to stay there should I travel to Valencia again.

1  Thank Chris R
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel during the Fallas, excellent location for main tourist attractions in Valencia. Underground parking, good bus and taxi services directly outside. Staff were friendly and helpful. Room on 6th floor with fantastic views of city, clean and comfortable.

1  Thank MargaretS186460
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend took me to this hotel for a weekend and both,him and me really enjoyed our stay. Unfortunately I can't say anything about the prices since it was a present,I did however order roomservice and even though the prices seem high, it felt worth the money.The room was always clean and we got a great view over the city of arts and science (ciudad de las artes y las ciencias) for free,where other hotels charge extra. The staff was very friendly and helpful,specially when it came to renting bikes. (which,by the way,was cheap and a great way to travel through valencia) If you have not visited Valencia previously,I do recommend a map or some sort of guide since,just by walking around we could only find a bunch of shopping centres.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple