WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hostal Moratin

Hostal Moratin
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Valencia
New Zealand
“Great location, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2010

The location is really good, about a 5-10min walk from the big railway station (if you're coming into Valencia by train you don't need to take a taxi). It is just off the main square in the heart of old Valencia. There are lots of great sites to check out within walking distance, and buses in the square to take you out to the beach (great beach!). We had a room with shower but no toilet, and that was fine - the shower is fine, small yes, but unless you're very rotund this is no problem. The room had a fan but no AC (I didn't think to check this when I booked - we were there at the height of summer and it was ok, AC would have been better though at that time of year). The staff were friendly, limited english to match my limited spanish - but we got on fine. Thankfully there is a lift as the reception is on the 5th floor. Overall, decent place to stay, good price and fantastic location, I would recommend it to people who want a decent step up from hostel accoms, but don't want to pay hotel prices.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank sunlover831

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Belgrade
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

Hostel Moratin is a nice, cheap hostel in the city center, next to Plaza del Ayuntamiento, room is clean, sheets were changed every day, wifi is working fine and the toilets were clean. Man on the reception was very kind with advises, city maps etc.

What I did not like is that the room desperately needed air conditioner, ventilator was not helping at all. There is no fridge in the room, so the owner sells drinks...

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2007

We recently spent one night at this hostal and thought at 75 Euros a night it was extremely expensive for what it is. We were assigned a tiny room with a pervasive smell of mould and bad, cheap furniture. It was noisy and hot and we could always hear the rowdy people in the apartment opposite. When we went to check out there was a mysterious extra 5 Euro charge on our bill. We questioned it and the owner reluctantly removed the charge. Of course we were not expecting luxury at a hostal but for that price there is much better on offer. The best aspect was the clean white bathroom attached to the room and the proximity to many of Valencia's wonderful sights.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — mouldy smell
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lolaSydney

Travellers are raving about these Valencia hotels

Cambridge, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2007

Booked Hostal Moratin at very late notice and was not expecting much but was pleasantly surprised on arrival. Its basic no frills accomodation but it is right in the centre of Valencia with everything a short walk away. Ideally placed for our few days in Valencia exploring the city.

The owner was also very helpful and friendly....

Would definitely recommend.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Nothing to particularly dislike about it
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank Midget_Gems
St. Neots, Cambs.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2007

I booked two rooms at the Hostal Moratin for myself and two daughters in February 2007. I choose it because it was very central and inexpensive. I had also read good reviews of it. Never having stayed in a Hostal before I was pleasantly surprised. There was not a back packer in sight, only well-behaved, generally middle aged tourists. My room had a private bathroom and was cleaned everyday and fresh towels put in. The gentlemen who run the Hostal were very friendly and efficient (they don't speak english though) but my daughters had fun practising their spanish on them. We had breakfast in the Hostal everyday which was coffee or tea, fresh squeezed orange juice, toast, butter and preserves and it cost 2 euros each. We couldn't have been in a better position for exploring the city or for cafes and restaurants. The hostal is very quiet at night which is unusual in such a noisy city.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Plastic sheet on mattress
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Harnser
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2006

I stayed here for a week with my father. The hostal is in a fantastic location right in the city centre - just one minute walk to the main square. I had not stayed in a hostal before, so was taken aback by the simplicity of the room at first, and the fact that entry to the hostal was via a lift from the downstairs of a large apartment block - it did not have the appearance of a hotel. However, with more experience now of hostal accomodation I would say this was an extremely good standard for this category and great value for money as well.

The twin room had shower and washbasin and was very clean. There was a little breakfast room with tv, where the two friendly owners would sit and good naturedly allow my father to practise his very limited Spanish on them. We felt very well looked after here, as the two men were only too happy to help, whether this was fetching an extra blanket when I got cold (it was January) or bringing breakfast to our room on a tray a couple of times (my Dad said it was a bit cheeky of me to ask for that, but they cheerfully brought it anyway). At the end we asked if we could take their photo, and they seemed very pleased about this - we now have a lovely souvenir of these two smiling men to remind us of our stay in Valencia. If I come here again I will definitely stay at this hostal.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — No restaurant
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't be afraid to ask if you need something, they seem happy to help
  • Stayed January 2005, travelled with family
5 Thank Vasilisa
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2006

I've just come back from Valencia where I went for the weekend with a group of ROWDY friends. We stayed at Moratin and it was brilliant. The one guy is super friendly and helpful - although like most of the place people don't really speak english. The rooms were tidy, clean and comfortable with a shower in the room and towels etc. (unlike another review we had no drain problems). It's perfectly located to explore all aspects of the town. Absolutely brilliant, cannot recommend it enough (obviously if you're looking for a pensione and not a five star hotel) and we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed May 2006