“Absolutely Lovely Hotel - Truly 5 Star!”

The Westin Valencia
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
Reviewed 27 July 2009

My wife, 18-month old son and I stayed at the Westin Valencia for four nights in July 2009. We received a great deal through Expedia (US$135/night all in). This three year-old hotel is beautifully designed, with a tranquil courtyard in the middle of the hotel in which guests can relax. Every single hotel staff member we encountered was so friendly and eager to please. They treated us the way one expects to be treated at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton hotel, even though this was just a Westin.

We had a bizarre incident during day 2 of our stay when the sink in our bathroom fell to the floor. I mention this, however, as a positive example for the hotel. We called the front desk and they profusely apologized and immediately moved us into a large suite for the remainder of our stay. Hotels are not immune to problems with particular rooms from time to time, but it's how they respond to these problems that defines the hotel. By swiftly moving us into a suite with apologies, the hotel did exactly what it should have done in the situation and did not hesitate to provide the complimentary upgrade.

My only constructive criticism for the hotel is that the lovely indoor pool should be complimentary for guests. Asking guests to pay to use the pool is unfortunate in my view. It is also unfortunate that children are not allowed in the pool (since it's part of the hotel spa area). I'm an SPG Gold Member and even I couldn't use the pool for free. I know it may be too late now, but it's a shame the hotel didn't build a pool in its gorgeous courtyard for all guests to use. The hotel would be even more luxurious and beautiful if they did this, and guests would surely sit around all day eating and drinking from the hotel's restaurants in the courtyard. An easy revenue generator over the long term.

We travel extensively throughout the world and every now and then we come across a hotel that excites us. The Westin Valencia is one of those hotels. You will have fond memories of this hotel for many years to come! Enjoy it!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,772)

Reviewed 27 June 2009

I travel to Valencia at least twice and sometimes 5 or 6 times per year. Last year we stayed here during the Fallas (mid March). This is a new hotel and everything should be in new condition. The first room we stayed in the king size bed was just 2 small beds pushed together. The shower leaked through the floor onto the bathroom floor ( and not just a small leak but a stream poured onto the new tile floods). The maintenance attempted to make a fix while we were out on the town, but the leak wasn't fixed, the drain was also plugged up with rubish from the construction that it still leaked. The bathroom was so wet, that we moved to another room, AND WHERE DO YOU THINK THEY MOVED US? To the room directly below. So we had a wet roof in our new room (very unprofessional ). The restaurant near the back of the hotel ( where you can sit outside ) served a rice dish that was horrible. The bar, which is hardly ever opened charged us $ 15.00 per mojito. I think this hotel gets such good reviews because the people that stay there pay so much they just know it must be great. I travel for a living and have stayed in some of the best places, but this place is way overpriced, and needs help.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank burls1
Reviewed 12 June 2009

I booked int this hotel because I went with my girlfriend to the spa which just next door (I strongly recomend it - balneario La Alameda).
The hotel location is excellent, very central. The outside features are gorgeous, as well as the inside, and the garden. The room we had was very ample, with a relatively classic decoration but nice furnitures. Our stay there was very comfortable, but if you look to small details, they could improve: dust on some of the furnitures, 2 single beds put together to do the king bed, they just put 1 bathrobe for both of us, the shower floor was a bit unstable... I think a 5* hotel should get everything perfect but it's true that it has a lot of facilities and services that we didn't use.
In resume, it's a good choice.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Two nights in April and did not want to leave. The Westin offers huge, beautifully furnished rooms at the price you'll pay for complete dumps in most cities in Spain. I would go back here in a heartbeat. Housekeeping was immaculate. Bedding was luxurious from the comfy sheets to plush feather bed and pillows. Courtyard side room with no noise issues. Huge flat screen tv. Excellent shower, separate bath. Tons of closet space, in-room safe, in room complimentary coffee. Dark wood furniture, modern fixtures. I could go on and on, but basically it is a luxury hotel at a mid-range price.
We got there on a Sunday night and there was plenty of parking. Otherwise you'll probably need to pay for the car park under the hotel.
We ended up walking to the city center (about 30 minutes) and took a cab back from the science and arts center (5 euro) to give you and idea of costs and distances.
Give yourself extra time in Valencia if you can - the architecture, people, and food are some of the best in Spain. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2009

This really was an unexpectedly good hotel. Sure it was a Westin, so you expect the rooms to be good, clean and spacious. But it's set in a beautiful old building with the most atmospheric courtyard with a lovely tumbling fountain and in the evening a rather good pianist/singer to add to the feel. I was impressed by the service from the girls running the bar to everyone on reception. I had problems twice with the air con and within minutes someone had come to fix it. One word of advice, when booking it's worth asking if you can have a room overlooking the courtyard. I was in a very spacious room which was huge with its own little terrace but it overlooked a tall wall which overlooked a road, so you didn't really get any enjoyment from the terrace which felt a bit like a prison cell! That said the room was very comfortable with a good sized bath and shower although with very few bathroom goodies - apart from the essentials.
But these are all pretty minor points, all in all the hotel has a great Spanish feel to it, is ten minutes walk from the centre of town and a one minute walk from the gardens of the Turia and even though I was there over a weekend when Valencia was playing Barcelona and every room was full, it was still a delight to stay in. Much recommended.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 April 2009

The Westin is in a great central location and occupies a beautiful building with an Art Nouveau exterior and a lovely courtyard garden in the middle. As you would expect for a hotel in this price bracket, my room was large and generally well furnished.

I had only a couple of minor gripes. Firstly my bathroom, while spacious and nicely designed, had a broken marble tile in the walk-in shower which appeared to present a nasty hazard to my bare feet. Secondly the fresh cut bamboo branch by my wash basin was almost dead: yellow stem, withered leaves (see picture). A small complaint, of course, but given its purely decorative purpose the effect was the opposite of what was surely intended.

Finally, on Saturday night at 12.30am I was woken by the thudding bassline of music coming from somewhere I never managed to determine. It continued for at least half an hour, requiring the use of earplugs to enable me to get back to sleep. I would have hoped such a prestigious hotel would either have had better soundproofing or a curfew on loud music.

Finally, while it has fixed line broadband internet access in the bedrooms and Wi-Fi everywhere, there is a high price to pay and the minimum charge is something like €12 for 12 hours.

The free-to-use gym has several resistance weights machines but only two cardio-vascular exercise machines (a running machine and a skiing machine). However all seem brand new and in very good condition.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 April 2009

We spent five nights here over the Easter holidays. The hotel was generally excellent. We had a free upgrade to a very spacious deluxe room, with free use of the spa, having paid €160 a night B&B via GTA and enjoyed the very pleasant facilities, including the courtyard/garden. The concierges were very helpful and had some good restaurant recommendations too. Room was very comfortable, and breakfasts were good, with fresh omelettes to order. I agree with previous reviews about some of the 'extras' - €18 for a day's wifi is ridiculous; the bar prices, wine excepted, were excessive, as were minibar charges and spa treatments (visit the urban spa across the road instead - it is better value). But if you can get a good deal here, it is a great place to stay. There is a nearby metro station, with links both to the airport and the port. One thing to bear in mind visiting this city at Easter is that most shops shut for five days, though there are stll plenty of good restaurants open, especially down by the port.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple