“I really like the place. I patch round the problems ...”
Review of Pension El Rincon

and 1 more site!
Pension El Rincon
Ranked #89 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Let's start on the downsides. This way you'll be able to decide whether you can live with the negatives to enjoy the positives.

Noise Pt l : Mediterranean countries have an infuriatingly tolerant attitude to noise. What disturbs northern Europeans or north Americans is regarded as perfectly acceptable to the Spanish, Italians, Greeks and others bordering the Med. You will run up against this problem everywhere. Hostal Rincon has an entry alarm beamed across the lobby inside the front door. This beam sounds a LOUD! bell when someone walks through it. During the day this is no problem. In fact, during the day the front door is usually propped open. But at night the sound of this bell reverberates loudly. It is usually accompanied by a thunderous crash as the door closes on strong springs. Señor Jorge or his night man will often sit in the reception lobby late into the night, shooting the breeze. People come and go. This repeatedly sets off the alarm and the thunderous slam of the door. I have been known to appear in the lobby, looming like a mad ghost in my stark white Omani dishdasha, raving on about keeping quiet and letting us get some sleep. This is received with friendly bemusement and will be effective for one night only.

Noise Pt ll : Other guests. Rincon is cheap. It therefore attracts students. Students do in Hostal Rincon what they do everywhere - stay up late making a racket with music and chatter. They tend to have the rooms at the top of the building. I have found that yelling something along the lines of "Shut the £%^*$ up or l will come up there and tear your throats out!" into the central light well has the required effect. As the racket will go on all night unless you do, don't wait longer than about 1am to do this.

Rooms: Over the 12 years l have been going to this hostal, improvements to the rooms have taken place at a slow but steady rate, as funds allow. I have never been given a room which was not perfectly clean & newly refitted. I am aware that there are rooms still to be renovated from what is clearly pretty scuzzy to something a good deal better. To avoid these, ask for a room with a shower. These have been given priority in the refit.

Staff : When l first went to Hostal Rincon in 2000 and 2001, Señor Jorge was not in good shape. Other reviewers have noted that he "looked like he was about to die" or "sweated a lot." This was true. Many an afternoon l would come back for my siesta to find our host slumped behind the front desk, pretty much comatose, with a bottle of scotch in front of him, the level well down. That would be on top of the wine during lunch. But then, a few years later, a transformation! Looking very much better, having lost a lot of weight and regained a sense of humour, our host had clearly been read the riot act by his doc. There was now an exercise bike in his office, placed where he could see the lobby whilst cycling. This new version of SeñorJorge can be seen in the photo. Has he reverted to old ways? I do hope not.

Señor Jorge does speak useful English. You will be able to check in in English. His other staff, such as the night man you will find behind the desk if you arrive after about 9pm, do not. Time to get your head around some Spanish. it's what they speak there!

The cleaning ladies are great. They work so hard. If you find that they have given you what seems to be a bath mat instead of a towel, they will gladly give you a better one if you ask. I always take a good quality towel of my own. In a place like Hostal Rincon these women most probably do not expect to be left anything by departing guests but when you see how hard they work, especially in really hot weather, you will appreciate their efforts. I always leave a small gift. It helps to spread the love around, no?

Cats : Last time l went there, Señor Jorge had finally cleared the garage of the horde of street moggies that infested the place and which he also fed. This was a big step up for the place because it used to stink of cat urine. I hope he has kept them out.

Facilities : What facilities? Ideally you will get a recently refurbished room with a good shower. It will be cleaned daily. If you are within range of the router you will get wifi. If not, go to Cafe Y Te on Plaza Ayuntamiento or any other place that has public wifi. If you have a car, you will be able to park it for no extra charge. That's it. Everything else you need is out there on your doorstep. There is a Euro shop 200m away. I buy a small reading lamp [none in rooms] a knife, fork, spoon and kitchen knife, a selection of plastic sealable food containers, a plate, a bowl and a spay-can of insecticide. This kit will cost you about Euros 20. You can then read at night and keep a selection of goodies from Mercado Central in your room to 'picnic' on rather than lunching or dining out every single day.

Upside : Hostal Rincon is pitched at the bottom of the market. You will have to make allowances for this. But what you get is Location, location, location + price. If you are given a scuzzy room, ask for "una habitacion reformada, p.f" If there are none left, go elsewhere.

Room Tip: You must ask for a room that has been renovated.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank nation49

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Its a hostel. You will share a bathroom come toilet with a hand held shower. You will have people knocking on the shower door if you use it longer than 10 minutes. This is understandably as people are looking to use the bathroom as the ration of people on one floor to a working bathroom is too high. The guy on reception was not really all that approachable. He joked with me he is selling the rooms at a low price to get a higher rating. He would then use the higher rating to justify the new prices when he doubles them in a year. Thankfully I am too intelligent to see any smart in that conversation. Go at your own peril. Back packers will delight at the simplicity for the price. Though let me make it clear. It is not. A hotel.

Room Tip: Check the room with a member of staff. Try and get a room with a good lock. As most doors can be ope...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SlamMonkey
Reviewed 8 December 2013

As the title says.. my friend and I walked in and walked out of this place within the hour. Rooms were so small and there was no heating and no plugs! Showers/toilet also had no locks! The place was just incredibly dirty. We're not actually fussy people but you just couldn't live in that! We just wanted a bed and a roof over our heads for a few nights and we got it. It is the bare minimum of basic! We strongly advise you to spend a bit more for a decent place!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yotsanan A
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This pensions in the centre of Valencia is a steal at €13 a night. Expect no frills but its clean and close to the mercado central and also has free parking, a top feature in this town. The receptionists do not speak English and are sullen beyonds words, but that aside, for the price and location you won't do better.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off the street
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Hi. Wanted to share with you a sad story of our staying in that Pension. That was just a month and a bit ago. We were traveling by car through Spain, so all the hotel bookings we made were on a road, literally hours before arriving to hotel. El Rincon wasn't the exception. When we arrived there around midnight (were driving from Barcelona), there were no one to open the hotel door for us. Thanks God after 10 minutes of knocking a guy (probably security personal) let us in. He didn't speak english, but he was friendly enough to give us a room key in exchange to our passports. The room itself was awful: all the furniture were threadbare, bedclothes were tearing, wardrobe doors were missing, window flaps were hard to close but the worst thing was there was no ac. Instead of air conditioning there's a sort of ventilation - a hole above the door leading to the common hallway. Thanks to that hole we were able to hear every snore and fart of our neighbors.

Next morning we left our room to take a walk in the city, but when we came back in the evening, it occurred there were no our belongings left in our room. I ran to reception desk, but the guy sitting there pretended he didn't understand what was I talking about. After 10 minutes of tough explaining he got the point, made few calls but all for spare.

As he explained later a "cleaning lady" thought we already checked out and just thrown away our things. He didn't gave us any excuse for that, neither proposed any compensation. My wife lost her brand new skirt she just bought, a plaid and some cosmetics, as for me I lost my t-shirt and some minor things. Thanks God I decided to move the most precious things to car that morning, otherwise they were all gone as well.

Room Tip: Watch your back staying there
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alexander K
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My friend and I stayed here for 1 night. It is in a very good location for the historic part of town. 3 mins walk from the Silk Exchange and about 5 from Plaza de Reina and the Cathedral. It is very basic and has few creature comforts, more like a hostel, but it was great for 1 night. The location was brilliant and the staff were friendly. Onsite parking was also a plus. They even let us keep the car there after we had checked out, while we did some more sight seeing.

Room Tip: Book one with a private bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank jojo82
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Right in the centre of things!!!!! Don't be put off by the street it is in, the hostel is very clean, great bathroom, large free carpark, free wi fi downstairs. We had our own bathroom, very new. The room itself good size but bare!!!! No drawers at all, old fashioned open cupboard with about six hangers. We were out sightseeing all the time, so didn't spend time in the room at all, so didn't bother us. If you want a pretty room this is not for you! For those on a budget, fantastic value, and such a great location too. Close to the market, chafes, bars, restaurants, all easy walking distance.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple