“Disappointing”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: La Gran Via
Description: To be a professional chef is a magnificent thing. It is always a pleasure to be able to cook for people, for friends, family and for my children, who have been great fans as well as honest critics since they were small. I love to cook at home, to invite friends and to make a Spanish 'cocido', in my own style obviously, or spatzle, a recipe from the Black Forest, which reminds me of my grandmother who was a phenomenal cook and my grandfather who I still remember collecting lamb's lettuce from beneath he snow. I always like to know the person I am cooking for, to know something of their personality so I am better able to achieve the aim of making them happy through the food that I prepare. For that reason my restaurant is small. I enjoy going to the Central Market every morning and seeing the stallholders, my friends, chatting with them and feeling accepted as part of their world. I never cease to appreciate the architecture of the market building or the quality of produce throughout the changing seasons. Another extraordinary place is the auction at the port where I buy fresh fish. The buildings are ugly, almost third world, I hope that someday they realise the great potential of this part of our city, perhaps even open it up to tourists. Imagine a stroll between the boats, between the fishermen, watching as they unload boxes of the freshest possible fish! Que calidad! I cannot imagine doing anything else. I feel incredibly lucky to have found this profession. It sounds pretentious I know, but I am truly delighted to be able to dedicate myself to the cuisine of this region, with that produce, that quality, that tradition that I discover little by little, I cook Valencian food, but I cook MY Valencian food.
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We have eaten in one and two star restaurants in many countries but not in Spain so were loking forward to Riff. However, we were disappointed with the food. Other reviewers have commented on the over-seasoning and we agree. The fish was very salty; too much really. Conversely, the ceviche was rather bland compared to the South American versions we have eaten in Peru and Ecuador. The décor is lovely and the service attentive. However, they have obviously been drilled in how to serve and seemed terrified of getting something wrong. We had the long tasting menu with a selection of wines and something always seemed to be happening - new cutlery for every course, new wine glasses each time (as it should be), bread being served three times. It all seemed a bit frantic and distracting. We ate on other nights on the street and, frankly, enjoyed it more.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I went there based on a Valencian friend's recommendation and certainly it is a very nice place. We had a good dinner the service was very good at the beginning, good rythym with the service, but when we were in the middle of our dinner they might have had some issue in the kitchen as the time between dishes was too long, more than 15 minutes with an empty dish in a dinner of 6 or more courses is too long. We thought that maybe they had some problem, but we don't know. The other tables were also waiting without food, a bit strange. Nevertheless everything else was delicious, I specially enjoyed the sardine and the "lecha"(fish) very nice as well as the lamb.
We spent more than 2 hours enjoying our dinner...

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We chose this restaurant as we found it interesting that a German chef holds a Michelin star restaurant in this small city. The place was well decorated not stuffy as you would expect. The meals were well prepared (if a little on the petite size) and full of freshness focusing on local ingredients. Friendly chef who paid us a visit to make sure everythinh was okay...a pity the other waitpersons were not able to communicate in English.

Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

We ate here on a fairly quiet Tuesday night, the place was half full. There was a good atmosphere nonetheless and the food and service were really excellent. All the staff were very friendly and accommodated our pidgin Spanish.

1  Thank Pancho2010
Reviewed 24 July 2013

For our last night in Valencia we decided to splash out on a top notch meal, after reading a few reviews we thought we would give it a go, we found the restaurant easily using this app. We hadn't booked but just hoped they had a table, we were in luck, we were lead down a long corridor to the main room which was elegantly decorated. After looking at the menu we know we were in for a treat, the service was very friendly and the chef came out to take our order after asking if there was anything we didn't eat, we said we would leave the choice to him. We both ordered the Grand Tapas which sounded great, although a little pricey. I think we must have had about 12 dishes, each of them looked stunning and tasted supreme. I once had the fortune to eat at a three star Michelin restaurant, this was easily on par with it.

If you are planning a trip to Valencia you should put this restaurant at the top of your must do's.