“Loved chilling in Mandeville”
Review of Mandeville Hotel

Mandeville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Mandeville
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved chilling in Mandeville”
Reviewed 3 April 2005

I have visited the Mandeville hotel twice in the last couple of months and my stay on both occasions were great. Although the hotel is located in the heart of the city this did not interfere with the tranquility and peace that I found there. I mostly enjoyed sitting at the poolside sipping Pina Coloda and taking long walks in the beautiful garden. My kids enjoyed the pool and the cable TV and at times asked "mom are we in Jamaica yet?" The staff at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful. They did a great job for my sister's wedding they decorated the poolside into a beautiful, romantic scenery and the food was so good. I would recommend the mandeville hotel for anyone looking for an affordable getaway, a place to chill and relax. Tanielle and her staff sure know how to put on a wedding and that is why we will be returning soon for another wedding. I enjoyed chilling at the mandeville hotel.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed 9 March 2005

I first visited this hotel in August 2004 to discuss having my wedding there. I was met with a smile and pleasant faces at the front desk. I met with Tan, of the planning committee and she was so sweet,after discussions we (4 in total) decided to stay overnight. I was impressed with the cleanliness of this property. The coolness of the mandeville nights makes for a good night sleep.
I returned to MH in February 2005 for my Wedding! WOW. Planned by Tan, my wedding day was the most beautiful day, second in comparison to the birth of my 2 kids. the ceremony was on the lawn and the reception was held by the pool. With over 60 people in attendance, EVERYTHING went off smoothly. The food was great, the service was great, and to top it off Tan stayed with me until I was ready to walk down the lawn (aisle). I was the blushing bride thanks to the staff of Mandeville Hotel, they gave me a stress-free day. My guest, family & friends from Canada & US also stayed on the property and they had a great time.
I will continue to stay at this property because of the service, the hospitality, the smiles from the front desk, Patrick, Yolanda, Norma our housekeeper, Carlos our bell hop, and Tel (Manager)just making sure we were ok. I have the pictures to prove my stay was excellent.
Thank you Mandeville Hotel for a special stay!
See you all later this year.

• Stayed February 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 17 October 2003

I stayed at the Mandeville Hotel for a second time during a visit to Jamaica this summer and while I agree that the photographs on the Hotel's website don't give the entire picture, but it wasn't bad at all. I visited for the first time back in 1997 and since then its been obvious that they have been trying to improve things. The rooms had been upgraded and for instance air conditioning had been put in. The best thing about this place is that its really relaxing, just the whole setting, the fact that there was so much greenery even though we were in the centre of town. My kids had a great time as well even though they just swam and ate for most of the time. The service there was excellent. I can safely say I was greeted with a smile every morning at breakfast and constantly being checked on to see if I was ok. If you plan to see the entire island its a good place to stay because you can reach the other resorts like Ocho Rios, Montego Bay or Negril really easily. I felt at home there and had a great time there. I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in staying in that area of the island.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 May 2002

I just spent the month of April at the Mandeville Hotel while working for Alpart in Nain.
The overall facility is tired and worn and the pictures on the hotel's website have to be from 20 years ago.
The room accomodations were very good. I had a suite or apartment (unit # 206) and it was very clean and nicely appointed. The cable TV reception was as good as the U.S. Also the housekeeping service with daily laundry was very reliable. Unfortunately, the good stops there.
As a business man that travels quite a bit, I was disappointed to not be able to get any type of internet connection for my computer. All phone calls had to go thru the front desk and the connection with MCI was hit or miss. The water pressure at the hotel is a roller coaster experience of a drip to full stream. You would get into a routine of getting wet, lathering with soap, then wait for the water pressure to build up again (2-3 minutes). The food service at the Mandeville hotel leaves much to be desired. Service is very slow (to be fair, this is true throughout much of Jamaica). It is not slow because of the number of people in the dining areas. I never saw more than 5 -6 customers at any one time. One morning, after waiting 20 minutes for my breakfast, I had them pack it to go. My bag lunch for the plant site was forgotten 2 mornings in a row. I finally gave up. The evening dinner selections were good, but not luxurious as the web site claims. The main dining room is old and worn and the chairs are very uncomfortable.
Also do not expect a quite peaceful night of sleep. The town of Mandeville is very robust from early morning to very late at night. There are the constant honking horns of the cars in the village roundabout. At night, you get your choice of barking and howling dogs (both on and off the hotel property), and the loud, pounding reggae music coming from the cheap car stereo systems of the cab drivers sitting in the town roundabout. Obviously there are no noise ordinances in Mandeville.
I do not want to sound like some whining, spoiled American who yearns for the cookie cutter Holiday Inn Express. On the contrary, I enjoy the quaint, unique experience and culture as much as the next person. But this experience was too many things that just don't facilitate a nice relaxing atmosphere. And then to endure it for 4 weeks is also a bit much.
My recommendation to the Mandeville Hotel is to be a bit more honest with their website. Take some recent pictures, I did. Train your help to understand what good hotel service is all about. Treating the customer like they were a nuisance is not good hospitality.

28 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these Mandeville hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mandeville
Golf View Hotel
#2 of 7 in Mandeville
Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
Jakes Hotel, Villas & Spa
#1 of 5 in Treasure Beach

Been to Mandeville Hotel? Share your experiences!