See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

I had the unfortunate experience of going to Tropics View this evening. I sat at the bar and though the bartender was friendly enough, the waiters attitude and behavior was appalling. I have had a previous bad experience at the restaurant but as options in Mandeville are so few I decided to try Tropics View again. To my regret.
I initially wanted to get some appetizers but almost all of the choices were unavailable. I ordered the chicken fettuccini and a side garden salad. I explicitly detailed that the salad should be raw undressed vegetables. After waiting for over 40 minutes the pasta dish came with a side order of steamed vegetables. I was told then by the waiter that raw vegetables were not available. The vegetables appeared shiny and I queried the preparation and was told they were tossed in margarine!!! As I wanted my vegetables without the trans fats, I said I would accept the steamed vegetables but without the margarine. The waiter left and didn't return. after another 40minutes I queried whatever happened to my vegetables. At that point my pasta was cold. Soon thereafter the waiter appeared with the bill even though we hadn't asked for it and I still hadn't received my vegetables. I guess I didn't have the option of getting dessert. it was then that the waiter said there was no more steamed vegetables and he could only offer me some slices of tomato. I was in the middle of querying why this was not explained to me at-the beginning when the waiter in all his insolence walked off. I pointed out tHat I was actually still speaking to him and he quipped in a rude manner ' what else do you want?'. That young man should not be dealing with customers. His behavior is deplorable. Customer service at Tropics View hotel continues to be so poor. As a returning resident of Mandeville for about 10 years who realizes that Mandeville is lacking in proper and varied dining experiences I would rather a 2 hour drive to Kingston or the North Coast for good food, great customer service and no insolent staff.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lesline_d
Reviewed 16 June 2016 via mobile

Well it's home away from home. No complains. They were equip with all the necessary things to make a hotel enjoyable the food and customer service was great as well. If I should rate it from 1 - 10 I would give it an 7 and a half.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a few nights while on a volunteering/vacation with friends. The hotel is quiet and located on a hillside which makes for lots of stairs and that doesn't mix with bad knees and luggage lol. The rooms are very modest and honestly could use a face lift with the furniture. The breakfast was good with both local and American fare offered and the restaurant staff very pleasant and accomodating. Overall, ok for the purpose of my stay.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2016

I stayed here for 2 weeks with my husband and 18 month old daughter. We chose to stay here as we was visiting my husband's family near by yet wanted our own space with a pool for for our daughter.
On arrival we was pleased it looks good from afar however on closer inspection we was dissapointed,
1- The reviews we read about the pool was right, it was dirty, dead flys, insects, bugs etc, leaves, flowers in the pool, we couldn't take the baby in the pool. After a couple of days of checking to see if the pool had been cleaned and it hadn't I spoke to the Receptionist who told me it was or should be cleaned every day, she told me someone was cleaning it right at that moment, and the pool had acid and chemicals in it to clean it and it would be ready by 12 noon, firstly there were no signs warning of not to go into the pool, it's a good job i didn't take my baby in and secondly the pool should be cleaned ready for guests first thing in the morning not by 12 noon.
2 - The room isn't air conditioned, I'd read reviews saying that Mandeville was cool and we didn't air conditioning, trust me we did, it was ok some nights but most of the time we was too hot, they have a stand alone air conditioning unit in the room which couldn't be used at night as it was too noisy to sleep with, also it had a pipe that had to be put out of the window which was pointless as the warm air then came in through the window and also couldn't have the window open due to mosquito and bugs coming in.
3 - They had ceiling fans but the one in the bedroom only worked with the light on, so again can't use it when you sleep, the one in the living room didn't work properly it brushed against something and made a loud noise.
4 - All the floor tiles throughout the hotel including the stairs are very slippery.
5- No elevators, we had to carry our baby and bags up 6 flights of stairs.
6 - They are running this hotel on the cheap, for example, all the lights in our room only had one bulb fitted out of 5 they have taken all the other bulbs out to save on electricity, even on the stairs they have 2 lights on each floor and only 1 light is working.
7- Cleanliness is very poor, the cleaner didn't come every day, when she did she took our towels and didn't bring any back, i had to go to the reception and ask for clean ones the following day, the receptionist wasn't very helpful or friendly and when i asked for her to get me some new towels she said "she will call housekeeping in a short while" I explained we have no towels have just returned from the beach and are waiting to get a shower and if she could call now, she had a bad attitude and our towels turned up 1 and half hours later.
Also I had to ask for our bed linen to be changed after a week, other hotels I've stayed at do it each day.
8- Kitchen was dirty, inside the cupboards and grease on the oven and walls, there was no cutlery or utensils not even a cup, plate or bowl we had to go out and buy everything.
9- Radio/CD Player didn't work.
10- Bedroom door locked from the inside and couldn't open it from the outside, faulty lock.
11- Broken shower door wouldn't close
12- Broken shower screen there was a big hole in the plastic which was quite sharp and dangerous.
13- Broken closet door wooden slats were missing and not replaced.
14- Water pressure isn't good, hot water comes and goes.
15 - Food was terrible - one of the most disappointing as we'd read good reviews about the Jamaican breakfast, everyday was the same, fried dumpling, saltfish and beans, English choice was Eggs which were disgusting, even though the breakfast was included we stopped going and bought our own and ate in the apartment.
16- Only 3 sunloungers around the pool one of which was broken and you couldn't even sit on it.
17- Sofas in the room were also dirty and old.

Overall this was probalby a nice hotel when it was first built, however it looks like it hasn't been touched since. It needs the management to sort it out, it wouldn't take much, it needs a good paint around the pool area, new tiles, new sunbeds, a maintenance person to fix the broken things and some money thrown at it to ensure guests have a happy stay and want to return. including a range of food, they didn't even have any bread for the first 2 days when we asked for the baby some toast.

The location of the hotel means that you would need to drive or take a taxi, you couldn't walk into Mandeville, it's also quite noisy as it is located in between local peoples houses, there was a party going on one night locally until 4am and during the day you hear people working on their houses with power tools when your around the pool.

The security on the gate isn't very good and would just open and close the gate to us once we said we stayed there, they didn't ask for a name or check on the guest list if they had one at all.

On the surface from the outside it looks nice for photos, we saw wedding party's there taking photos in the gardens but we was very disappointed and wouldn't stay there again or recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the driveway it gets very noisy from 5am with traffic coming and going.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Clairforster
Reviewed 28 October 2015

My staff stayed at this hotel and the reviews consist of messy kitchen, dirty sofa with rubbish underneath, one plug that is far from the light, uncomfortable atmosphere where 70% of the time the Receptionist is missing.
We moved our staff and discussed refunds which was promised, we got the refunds in JMD instead of the payment currency which was USD plus it was short. We were insulted when asked for a reason and their behavior since our initial complaints were a defensive stance, they accused our staff of being a spy since it was theorized that the place is more like a motel than a hotel, they were also called liars due to their complaints. Its now 2 weeks since we moved our staff members and the reviews are much better. PLEASE do not support this sloppy place, it should be shut down!

Room Tip: Please book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled on business