See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 30 August 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 7 days when on a mission trip. I have stayed here twice before on teaching trips but this time I was by myself, and because of health problems I was unable to stay up on the mountain with the rest of my group. I was given a ground floor room of a one bedroom apartment which fit my needs. However, it was right above the laundry area and the staff sat outside talking and making noise from 5:30 a.m. until late at night. The other guests were extremely noisy as well. It reminded me at first of a prison with gates and doors slamming and loud talking, then they left their doors open and blared their tv's. The guests let their children run around screaming until late. It started in again with the noise at check out in the morning at 5:30 and a man raking trash by the bin outside of my window. I do not remember it being this loud the other two times I stayed here. Thank goodness I had ear plugs. I also had to furnish my own eating utensils, dish soap, paper towels, etc. They charged extra for everything. They give you two complimentary breakfasts but only two choices. Traditional Jamaican breakfast or eggs and toast. I chose the eggs. He first told me I was getting eggs, toast and sausage. I waited like 40 minutes for the sausage and finally asked the other waiter who told me they didn't have sausage. However I ate three dinners in the restaurant and all of them were very good and I got them in a timely manner, something that is hard to say about most restaurants in Jamaica. I've been going there for 27 years. My apartment had a laundry but they charge you to use it. I would stay here again but would request a quieter room and would remember that I had to bring the extras.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2016 via mobile

I was here with a large group of friends (37) and not one person could say that they enjoyed their stay.
Showers were terrible, no pressure and cold
Some rooms were smelly
No aircon
Ceiling fans had broken light switches so we had to take the light bulbs out in order to sleep in the dark with the fan on
Toilets were blocked
Rooms didn't have cups, hangers - the basics!
When we asked for these things, staff shrugged and said, the guests take them so we don't replace them!
Rooms were dirty
Furnishings were outdated and broken.
Service in the restaurant was shocking, again the staff were either lazy, hated their jobs or just didn't care. It is the start of the season so maybe they needed time to warm up to work but if you have guests - you are there to work, and not roll eyes and have to be reminded for every order! On our first night they ran out of white wine, on our third night they still hadn't replaced the wine! Again simple stuff making a big difference to my holiday!

I think the worst thing was management didn't seem to care, such a shame.

On the positive the lady who we met who cleaned our room was lovely, helpful and did what she could, clearly enjoyed her job but told us she'd only been there a month so I hope that doesn't disappear.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled with friends
4  Thank Alex W
Reviewed 20 October 2016 via mobile

I liked the hotel it was cozy simple and accommodating . It's not 5 star so I wasn't expecting much I had a bath mat, hot water , free breakfast which was good . I'll be back soon. I enjoyed it . Don't expect 5 star greetings and such no one smiles at you but that's just the Jamaican culture sometimes. So we will be back in a few short weeks cannot wait for a hot plate of ackee and salt fish :-)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2016

I was pleased with my stay at this hotel for a week, I was out there for two funerals. My cousin and I enjoyed the food especially the breakfast. The rooms were clean and its very quiet, however the outside need some work. The receptionist was grumpy, need to be customer friendly,flat affect like she did not like her job. she need to simile when dealing with customers.

Stayed: August 2016
2  Thank Audrey L
Reviewed 24 July 2016

Tripadvisor should have a category for hotels that deserve less than one star. The service at the Mandeville Tropics View Hotel was beyond awful. The so called ‘receptionist’ provided absolutely no reception. Upon arriving at the hotel, we were greeted rudely. The keys were basically tossed at us and we seemed to be interrupting his internet time. The apartment was a dump that smelled like it was cleaned with a dirty mop. The floors are so dirty and sticky that we needed to wear shoes. Every apartment was gated for security, but there were no padlocks available to lock our front gates. The kitchen had a dirty refrigerator, no utensils, no plates, no cups and no pots. The receptionist explained that it would take him a while to provide these items since he had to go apartment to apartment to gather them. The fan turned off when you shut off the lights. One bedroom was missing a lamp, which the receptionist also had to scavenge for. The back door didn’t properly lock. Some of the vertical slats in the window blinds were missing and consequently anyone walking by could look into the bedrooms and bathrooms. For safety and privacy we had to cover every window with a sheet or blanket. The beds were so worn out that the mattresses had a deep depressions in the center. Every night there seemed to be a party going on somewhere nearby. Between uncomfortable beds, the blaring music, and safety concerns we didn’t get much sleep. The complimentary breakfast was sad at best. There was no coffee and no tea. Some of the restaurant chairs were broken. Our only food option was liver with callaloo. On the second day during breakfast the waiter cut our meal short, asking us to leave while they prepared the room for another event. The hotel’s swimming pool might be a petri dish for zika mosquito larvae. It clearly hadn’t been cleaned in many months, maybe years. The pool furniture was totally unusable. Unless your barometer for an apartment or hotel rental is exceedingly low, by every measure this hotel should not be considered.

Room Tip: The rooms all suck. Try to choose one on an upper floor if you can manage the stairs. Ask for a padlock for the gate.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business