“Outstanding hotel!”

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Matera
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding hotel!”
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This is the most beautiful and hotel I have ever stayed in, a perfect, unique stay that I am so glad was part of my honeymoon trip. Everything about this hotel is wonderful - all of the furnishings are luxurious and smartly chosen, to give an authentic and incredibly relaxing atmosphere. The room we stayed in was so, so beautiful and I have never experienced such quiet. The bed was perhaps the most comfortable of any hotel I've stayed in. Reception set up a great value wine and food tasting for us in the 'church' which was lovely, and they are extremely helpful with niceties such as replenishing a pitcher of ice water for your room whenever you ask (grateful as Matera is baking hot) and a bowl of fruit on arrival. The breakfast spread was incredible.

All in all, we were totally impressed by this hotel, which I can't recommend enough, and I hope we'll be visiting again in the future!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

This place is so special! It has designer details all over but mixed with the robustness of the ancient buildings and rooms. It's simply outstanding and special! Dinner in their tiny restaurant is amazing ... Menu of only One and two choices but probably one of the better meals I've had for years and superbly priced! I love this place and it's still one of a kind. Take your loved one here for 2-3 days stay and to experience something special!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank 1234CN
NYC
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I had not heard of Matera and neither had my friends. I became aware of it because we were on our way to Puligia and needed a stopover. At first, when I Googled the hotels and saw the Sextanio website, I didn't know what to make of it. I thought perhaps it was like a theme type of hotel. I also checked out the video clips on the site and became more intrigued. Either way it looked cool and interesting and I was willing to give it a go. What came to be was more than I could ever have imagined.

The hotel site where it was located was extremely discreet. It was nothing obtrusive, but beautifully meshed in with its surroundings. We had arrived one day early and they were kind enough to accommodation us. We stayed in a suite. I'm not sure of the number, but it was next to the church cave where breakfast is served and two doors away from the office.

Our suite was huge. I would estimate it at around 1,800sq ft. We had a large (king?) size bed with another twin bed on the side of the wall. Great bathroom facilities, which

consisted of 3 rooms. One room had the toilet and bidet. The second room had big overhead shower (with water pressure to die for), large sink with toiletries, mirror and hairdryer. The third room had a bathtub with bath amenities. The room with the shower and bathtub were huge! The shower is not enclosed, but I guess because of the sloping of the floor, water didn't get everywhere. I would however suggest having flip flops close by for after the shower. It would prevent slipping and also not collect dirt while your feet are wet. Unfortunately, we never got the chance to try the bathroom. It looked so relaxing.

Towards the front of the room you have another large space with a dining room table or just communal table for you to place things or have coffee, snacks or whatever. There is also a large bench at the side of the wall. On the side opposite of the bench was a large wardrobe cabinet.

The atmosphere of the cave is very serene and sureal. To think that I was staying in a cave someone was living in possibly thousands of years ago is very profound. I loved this hotel and the whole cave experience. I wanted to be locked up in the cave for days. When I left to head to Puglia, I had cave withdrawal. Being in the cave was a great feel at night, almost protective.

I wouldn't suggest this place for elderly people that are not used to walking on uneven ground. I think kids would love this place as much as adults.

The staff is wonderful and friendly. They gave us great places to explore and eat. There is wifi. Just ask for the code at front desk.

IMPORTANT TIP: Hotel might be hard to find. Look for their RED sign and walk up stone steps. Office is first door bottom left.

Matera and Sextantio was the highlight of my trip! With that said, this is not for everyone!! Thank God it was for me!!!

Venice

Room Tip: Go for the suite!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank VeniceInMyHeart
Reviewed 8 July 2012 via mobile

My mother and I spent a night at one of the suites, and it was something nearly spiritual. I recommend this hotel to anyone who needs relaxation and enjoys peace and solitude. Every bath product is organic and so are the delicious foods available for breakfast. It doesn't get any better.

Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Last minute decission took us to Matera for an overnight. After checking the reviews, we went straight to this hotel with no advance booking.  Roberta at the reception was really charming. Room 18 was maybe one of the smallest, but comfortable enough.

Yes, no TV.. GREAT!
Yes, not much light.. This is a CAVE!
Yes, no WI- FI signal.. Try to disconnect for once!

Unique  experience, something really to remember.
I have travelled quite a lot in my life. Only a very few hotels that I remember clearly.
This will be one of them for sure.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cris M
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Certainly this was a unique lodging experience, but there were several drawbacks:

--- poor lighting inside and lack of amenties
--- no shower in our room, only a bath
--- incredibly difficult to find, even with GPS and coordinates
--- service was transactional during our stay
--- a bit of a hike over the hill to the old town restaurants

On the positive side, the view to the pristine valley was spectacular, and the breakfast was excellent.

We took the time to visit L'Hotel in Pietra during our stay and viewed their extraordinary suites. All things considered, we wished we'd stayed there instead.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SusanGlobalGallop
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This was the best part of our honeymoon! We stayed for two nights in a real cave! It was warm and comfortable, the bed was large and so comfortable. We had two lovely relaxing nights sleep in our cave. There was an extra large bath which was really relaxing and is an experience not to be missed in itself! The cave was lit by a couple of lights and several candles which added to the atmosphere.

Matera itself was our favourite place in Italy. It was so tranquil and lovely looking out of our cave over the beautiful valley. It was such an amazing place and I don't think there is anywhere else in the world quite like it. It is possible to spend days walking round the Sassi finding new and exciting things.

The breakfast was served in an old cave church which was a great experience. The breakfast itself was different but very delicious. Often there was pizza for breakfast which was a real treat! Parking for the caves was very simple and only a 2 minute walk away.

This was a fabulous place to stay and we would most definitely recommend it to everyone who appreciates beauty, uniqueness and peacefulness.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple