“Food is nice but....”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse, Brew Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Had to wait almost 25 minutes to have a beer and food arrived after 1hour and 10 minutes. Two waiters serving about 15-20 tables, it is NOT normal!

And also, it was very pleasant outside but no tables.

Could be better if service was faster.

Reviewed 18 September 2012

It was my birthday. After reading all the good TA reviews, I persuaded my wife to walk here (about half an hour each way). It took a bit of finding, down a small side street. When we arrived, we got a drink, then asked for a table. However, there was a private party about to start in an hour's time, so we were not able to get a meal, and were asked to return the night after.

The next night, for some reason, the upstairs inside dining area (downstairs inside is for drinking only, I am pretty sure) was completely closed and in darkness. I wish I'd been told that the night before ,as we DID say we'd be back the next night, and they knew we wanted to eat inside rather than overlooking the street. And I DID want to get some 'cool jazz' music ambience with our meal.

As were flying home next day, I was unable to eat here after these 2 attempts. Cue non-romantic row on our last night (which we managed to rescue with sheer willpower and a carafe of white and pizza-ish meal, although it wasn't what we wanted.).

So my advice is - check. Then check again before you set off. If you don't mind eating off the main street, you'll be fine. Otherwise, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

(This was in June, but Matera was extremely busy, with some larger restaurants 100% full by 10pm, so it wasn't 'pre-season'.)

I've rated everything 3, so as not to alter the average score too much.

1  Thank cheshiredave
paperotto81, Proprietario at Groove Beer e Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2012

Dear cheshiredave,

Thank you for choosing GROOVE beer and Grill and having reviewed his experience here on TripAdvisor.

I am very sorry for your bad experience lived twice in our pub.

Unfortunately when we organize private parties with at least 60 people, our staff, the kitchen and the space is entirely dedicated to them and it is impossible to satisfy the desires of other customers. I would also like you to note that on the front door, we use to notify and apologize for the inconvenience.

Regarding the inability to dine in the lounge during the summer, unfortunately it is a policy we have taken already last summer. Our choice is due to two main reasons: we have noticed that about 98% of our customers prefer to dine in our dehor because it is very quiet, surrounded by greenery and is one of the best places cooling off on hot summer nights, and secondly upstairs in the summer the temperature exceeds 40 ° C. and it is impossible to be able to cool down in less than 3 hours if you do not book.

I would also like to point out that the jazz music in the background you can easily listen to the outside, given the distance of our dehor from the busy streets of the city center.

Trusting in a comeback as a guest in our pub, I extend

Best Regards,

Gaetano V. Serravezza

Reviewed 14 July 2012

The atmosphere is great, especiallly in the summer, the service is perfect and the food is wonderful.
The passion the guys have selecting the greatest beer from italy or all over the world make this place unique.
A must for anyone wants to enjoy a good taste italian food and drink that's not the ordinary italian stereotype...

2  Thank Bell1-1010
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Looking for a great place to eat and enjoy specialty beers from around the world, be sure to visit the"GROOVE beer E grill. What a pleasant surprise to find such a enjoyable restaurant away from the bigger cities of Italy. Spent a few days in Matera while touring Southern Italy and so glad I did. Aside from the spectacular scenery they also had a top notch beer and grill restaurant. I enjoyed eating one of their wonderful pasta specialties plus a most delicious desert that was tiramisu made with beer. The service was friendly and professional, The decor was modern and with nightly music entertainment a place you would not want to miss. Enjoyed it immensely. Don't miss going to the GROOVE if in Matera.

4  Thank Lucia2000
Reviewed 1 June 2011

I traveled in early May to Matera from the USA, and enjoyed excellent food and service at The Groove. One of the dishes I especially enjoyed was orecchiette with turnip greens with crispy red peppers and a dessert of birramisu (like tiramisu, except made with beer), which was light and delicious, and a cheesecake with fresh strawberries. They also have very good selection of specialty beers from all over the world and live entertainment in the evening. I can't wait to go back to Matera and I would definitely go to the Groove again..

5  Thank squaregirl063
paperotto81, Proprietario at Groove Beer e Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Thank you very much.