“Living in a cave was some experience”
Review of Hotel Sassi

Hotel Sassi
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Matera
Reviewed 13 August 2009

great hotel with individual rooms and superb view over the old town of Maters (The sassi)
We had a very large room which was literally a cave. The downside was that the room was quite damp and clothes were damp in the morning - We still enjoyed the experience

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed in Hotel Sassi for a week and had a great time exploring the incredible Sassi of Matera. On arrival we received some bubbly and cakes, and the Hotel provided huge breakfasts each morning. Plus, when one of their best rooms (with a balcony with beautiful views across the Sassi) became available they upgraded us free of charge which was very nice. The hotel is situated in a quiet area (no cars) and you can hear sounds of the nearby Music academy playing, and the bells of the churches - we had a great stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 November 2008

This is a great place. I arrived at night and was amazed by the view from my balcony over the valley, only to be even more shocked to see it in the morning light. The room was clean, bathroom was small but functional, and the staff literally went out of their way to help.

I have to say that the breakfast spread here is one of the best breakfasts that i've ever had in a hotel in Italy. They have local sweet pastries straight from a bakery in addition to a real cappuccino or coffee made at the bar in the breakfast room.

All of this without even mentioning that you're staying IN the sassi of Matera, which lends its own very nice touch to the interior and architecture of the place.

Definitely recommend it!!!

Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed 30 June 2008

The location of the hotel in the Sassi makes it a special place to stay. The staff was very helpful and each of the women who were on duty at the desk spoke very good English. The men did not, so hunt down one of the women if you are having a problem, although the men there were good at communicatiing using rudimnetary Italian and Spanish and gestures. We had minor problems understanding how the door locks worked and they were most kind with us. We got a great recommendation on where we could find a very good meal (le Botteghe-down in the bottom of the Sassi). The view from our room was spectacular as it looked out at the cathedral. The staff also arranged for a delightful English speaking guide who took my wife and me on a lengthy and very informative tour of the Sassi. We used the private parking garage recommended on the hotel website. The people who run it were very nice. They met us with espresso (we told the hotel we would use it) and there was a man there who helped carry our bags and showed us how to get to the hotel. I am sure he waits at the garage and relies on tips for a living. If you wish to use the garage ,download a copy of the map at the hotel website and approach from Via Roma as XX Septiembre is one way and the garage is on the first alley after getting on XX Septiembre from Via Roma. The breakfast was good and the bar service is reasonably priced. After arriving it was great to have a cold beer and view the Sassi prior to taking off on foot. I should add that we had a "superior room" (5 Euros more than "standard") and thsi may have added to our good view. The room was good sized with a nice couch. If we go back to Matera we will definitely stay here again (and eat in Botteghe again). I should tell you that the lady at the desk told us that September and October are their busiest months and that it is wise to contact them 2 or more months in advance for those months as they had already booked some September days solid by mid-June.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2008

We didn't stay long, so I will give my honest opinion, but know that is is exactly that! The hotel was a bit far from the bus station with luggage - and I travelled light! A lovely older Italian woman helped us when we began to get frustrated and lost. The staff at the front desk did not speak English, but we made it through with a few Italian phrases. The room was small but clean, and the view was great. Bathroom was a good size, and very clean. The area is excellent. 90 euro a night was the highest we paid during our three week tour of Italy, so it seemed very high to me, but I didn't look anywhere else, so I'm not sure if that was the going rate.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2008

Two of my friends and I recently stayed at Hotel Sassi in Matera, Italy. First of all, if you have any doubts about visiting Matera....do. Matera was a lovely and unique city with a touching past. Hotel Sassi was excellent. Despite what other reviewers have said, Hotel Sassi is very very easy to find if you are prepared. I went to the website for Hotel Sassi and printed off the map they provide. Their map, as well as my "Italy" travelguide map (which was not very descriptive), as well as many signs on city walls, made it easy to find Hotel Sassi. It is ideally located, right in the heart of a Sassi district, and yet still close to the train/bus station. The view was great, especially at night. The staff was great, friendly, and attentive. It was clean. The location is really what sells it....I couldn't have asked for a better location if I tried. I will definitely stay at Hotel Sassi if I return to Matera.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 5 March 2008

I stayed at Sassi Hotel twice, actually the latter I booked at the Hostel which belongs to the same owner.
This hotel is amazing! The rooms are carved into the tipycal stone of Matera. The atmosphere is astonishing, the rooms functionals, very clean and comfortable. There is a patio with a wonderful panorama over the ancient town. The location is very close to both "sassi" and the centre. Food is fantastic and fresh. Staff always friendly and helpful. Perfect for a romantic gateaway!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends