“Sleep in a cave and in luxury”

Hotel La Casa di Lucio
Ranked #19 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Reviewed 10 October 2010

What a find! A great, clean and unique hotel. Some of the rooms resemble a cave, others have a great view but all are served by a great staff. We found it from the Blue Guide, Southern Italy. If all the suggestions are as good as this one this is a must guide for travel in southern Italy. Room size and cleanliness are on par with a Canadian 4 star hotel. Even had help with the luggage up to the lobby. Breakfast in another cave, actually an old wine cellar.

Dale and Jo Ann

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 April 2009

stayed 2 nights in this sassi hotel. receptionist was lovely, spoke perfect english, taught us a little italian, gave us fabulous dinner recommendations, even posted a forgotten phone charger on to our next destination. rooms were intersting small bathrooms but that's cave dwelling for you. matera is a must see destination

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2008

I like this hotel. It is modern and room is stylish and comfortable. I didn't like the fact that there is no window in the room. But I wasn't there for very long so I am okay with it.

I wasn't told of the "no non-resident parking" inside town policy as noted by the previous reviewer when I was there so I didn't have a problem. I did specially asked if it is okay to park at where I parked.

I would note however that there are a lot of dogs in town. More specifically there is one very close to my room and would bark at any noise at night. Also, they are doing work in the rooms close by and there is some noise early in the morning. If I have to do it again, maybe I would pay a little extra for a room that doesn't have these problems.

All in all, good stay and I love Matera.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank H2bomb
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I have been traveling through Italy making my way down to Sicily and decided to stop in Matera to visit the Sassi town for a night. I booked a single room at this hotel, after reading various reviews and that it was in fact housed in one of the caves. After a few exchanges with the property, they provided directions and as I reached the town their were absolutely no signs leading to the property. The hotel itself only provided directions to the town! After a phone call, they sent a driver to where I had parked and I followed him to a garage where they needed to park my car, as I learned their were no non-resident cars allowed inside the town. The driver spoke very little english as I was trying to determine the location of the garage relative to the hotel, as I was only staying one night I didnt feel the need to bring both of my bags. As we reached the hotel I learned that it wasn't an option to walk to my car. At this point I had decided to let it all go and during check-in not to mention my annoyance. To the credit of the hotel, the room was quite nice, although I didn't have a view as a few other reviewers apparently did, the furniture and fixtures were all modern and at first glance appeared clean. I returned to reception to obtain a lunch suggestion. The woman at the front desk provided a map and I learned the the old town (sassi) has very few restaurants scattered around the town. I went to the suggested restaurant and it was closed (pet peeve!!!). I returned to the hotel to inform her of this and to obtain another suggestion. I went to the second suggestion and it was also closed for lunch!! (fool me once.......). I went back to the hotel to inform her that I was very displeased with the lack of information provided to get to the hotel as well as the two BOTCHED restaurant suggestions. Her casual attitude denoted her complete lack of hospitable sympathy and I decided to simply leave the hotel. She then asked if I was sure that I wanted to leave at which time I said, YES! and she then said that I should pay for the room. I had been in town for about an hour at this point and had simply used the bathroom in the room. It wasn't worth a fight, so I paid and left and had to have the same driver take me back to get my car. What is equally surprising is that this hotel is an off-shoot of a four star hotel also located in the old town. Bad experiences happen, however this was completely unacceptable. Be forewarned and should you encounter this same person, I would simply look elsewhere or just make a day trip out of it!

• Stayed: August 2008
4  Thank Free2Trvl
Reviewed 13 June 2006

loved Matera. Stayed 2 nights (3 would have been better) at Casa di Lucio, which was very nice, tastfully decorated and very clean and central to historic sights. Sadly their restaurant wasn't open (for half board )as we had expected but they recommended others nearby. As with many hotels in Europe didn't get the twin beds we requested.!!!

1  Thank jhmb
Reviewed 6 August 2005

Amazing view of the Sassi. The Casa di Lucio was a lovely apartment, within a cave. Ours had windows which we liked because we could see a panarama of the entire Sassi. Other apartments are true caves without windows. All are decorated in an exquisite, tasteful and comfortable manner. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our only complaint was the air conditioning, which only blew warm air. Since we were there during the hot summer, it was somewhat uncomfortable. Ohter than that, I would recommend this B&B for its atmosphere and friendliness.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank nangela
Reviewed 30 May 2005

Casa di Lucio
A shopkeeper in Alberobello, upon learning of our intention to visit Matera, jotted down the name of this B&B on a piece of paper. Matera, one of the most unusual towns in all of Italy, is in the Basilicata region, southern Italy. Once an area of extreme poverty where peasants made their homes in cave dwellings known as “I Sassi,” Matera has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List and is now enjoying a revitalization that is bringing tourists to its doors. Doors that still lead into the interiors of the ancient t cave dwellings carved out of the tufa rock along the side of a ravine. La Casa di Lucio is in the heart of Matera and Anna, the owner of this fascinating structure, now B&B, is justifiably proud of her town and her decision to bring this building back to life. Constructed on top of two authentic cave dwellings, the house has two more stories built in the 16th century. Accommodations are available in the grottoes, or above, in small holiday apartments, and there is even an elegant suite with a terrace overlooking the maze of Sassi below. It was here that Jim Caviezel (the actor who played the role of Christ in Mel Gibson’s movie the Passion) stayed for three months during the filming. In the center of town, Anna has opened up a restaurant in the Sasso that once belonged to her grandmother. “La Cantina di Lucio” serves up traditional Matera dishes. Casa di Lucio is a fascinating and historically significant place to stay if one is visiting the Sassi of Matera, but Anna’s warm hospitality is what makes it so special. Visit (---) for more information.

3  Thank sempreingiro