Locanda di San Martino is located in the old section (Sassi) of Matera and it actually is a rebuilt series of cave dewllings. Matera is a Unesco site that resembles Jerusalem in biblical times. (Several biblical based movies have been filmed here.) Each room is different but each is built in what was, at one time, was a cave dwelling, some as late as 1968. The rooms are small as might be expected but they are clean and very unique. The bath facilities were excellent. There is no food served on site but there are two excellent restaurants right out the front door, one a short walk to the left and the other to the right.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Locanda di San Martino lies in the heart of Matera's Sassi Historical District, and at the same time it is conveniently located at a very short distance (100 meters) from the city center. The Locanda radiates outward from the deconsecrated church of San Martino and the street of the same name, through a series of balconies that enjoy a sunny exposure and a wonderful view of the Sasso Barisano. There are twenty-two guest rooms situated on four levels, renovated with the greatest care in order to respect their original forms as single homes. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Hotel.de so you can book your Locanda di San Martino - Hotel e Thermae reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Locanda San Martino Matera
- Hotel Locanda San Martino