“Sleeping in a renovated historic cave!”

Hotel San Giorgio Matera Albergo Diffuso nei Sassi
Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Chicago, Illinois
“Sleeping in a renovated historic cave!”
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This review has been a long time coming! First, it has been five years since I visited Matera and the Residence San Giorgio. Second, you are staying in old cave dwellings that have been renovated for modern comfort and still contain tones of history, if these walls could talk.
My fiance was studying abroad in Strasbourg, France for a semester. Two weeks into her program she called me up and told me to start saving she bought me a round trip flight into Paris and we where going to the old country.
I am third generation Italian American and have never been to Italy before. After two weeks of us researching over the internet I found Matera was the most centrally located city between my two ancestral towns. I found Residence San Giorgio and they were the lowest price ( was just the sous chef of a restaurant at the time- not much cash) for some very nice rooms. My fiance surprised me and up graded us to a villa (the one with the loft over the living room).
We flew into Bari (closes airport) and took the local train to Matera. We almost got off at the wrong station, a resident of Matera was on the same train over heard the two of us talking and stopped us and gave us instructions to stay with him. Very nice man and his family helped us call the owners of Residence San Giorgio and lets us know we had arrived.
John Luca and his uncle the (owner) came and picked us up at the train station in there personal car. John Luca lived in the villa next door to the villa we where staying in. John Luca was our personal tour guide the week we where in Matera. Brought us to the bus station numerous times to help us buy tickets to my home villages and to Rome on our way out. Took me shopping in the markets, bought me shots of espresso as we sat and talked like old friends. He also was a walking encyclopedia on Materas history especially the property where the villas sit.
The rooms where perfectly clean, impeccable, the hospitality was out of this world and the price was even better. You will never have a more beautiful, historical, amazing experience in your life.
The date below is wrong it would let me put in May of 2007.

Room Tip: Any of the villas they all have their own theme!!!! We actually got to watch them building the lower...
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Stayed one night at the Residence San Giorgio - the welcome was superb. Having read about Matera and the Sassi Caves we decided to visit on our recent trip to Italy. No accommodatino previously booked and we turned up on the afternoon. Found the San Giorgio and thank goodness we did. We stayed in the most incredible one bedroomed apartment, above the caves and had our own balcony where we could sit with a glass of wine in perfect seclusion, listening to the chatter of the locals and dogs barking. A most amazing experience and I would highly recommend this accommodation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 4 July 2011

We stayed three nights in May 2010. Read about Matera in a Saveur magazine and decided to go. This was our 2nd trip to Italy in two years and our first to Puglia and Basilicata. San Giorgio was perfectly located in Sassi Barisano. You drive fairly close to suite, unload suitcases, then take car to public parking area a ways down the road. Be prepared to hump your stuff up, up stairs to the suite. Really, there is no way around it in Matera, if you want to stay in a sasso. Close to good restaurants and fascinating narrow alleyways with homes built into the rock. Not too far to walk to Sassi Caveoso from San Giorgio. Many guides offer to help, but we managed to find the way ourselves. Matera is quite stunning - a unique location. Suite Pozzo was completely modern, with nice kitchen, living area, loft style bedroom and huge shower in the bathroom. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Consider the unit with patio furniture.
  • Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank Rae B.C.
Safi
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Been for 1 night at the residence and all we can say is that the experience was magical. We stayed in the Suite del Frantoio (the white Suite ) all cut out from the Matera sassi. The feeling when looking up from the bed was simply magical. The accomodation comes around with a fully-fitted kitchenette, with an adequate breakfast (do it yourself). And the bathroom was awesome, with fully operational jets for hydromessage. And behind the bedroom there was a door that led to an ancient religious hypogeum.

2 Thank FLUGEN
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 8 June 2011

This hotel had a lot of great features but also some major drawbacks. Breakfast was a real disappointment with dried crackers, nutella and make yourself espresso. The rooms was very damp and even after adjusting the heat the bedsheets were still damp feeling all night. There is also a long up hill walk on cobblestones which you are required to haul your luggage over. A suggestion might be to provide a cart which you can use that would save the wheels on luggage or better yet, have the help do it. This is not a place for weaklings! Nice staff though and I can now say I stayed in a cave.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank TrippinFromTheDrive
Central London
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We paid quite a lot for this room and it was fine; but for the price the owners could have been more generous.
There was almost nothing in the way of toiletries and we were expected to prepare our own breakfast. We were provided with a couple of dry biscuits, portions of jam and yoghurt; but no fresh bread, or butter.We bought our own bread!
We were given a selection of local foods as a gift; but, as it was four things in packets and jars, it was too heavy for us to carry home.

Some fresh food for breakfast and better toiletries would have made us feel more cared for!

1 Thank Midge060
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 21 January 2011

The city Matera is one of the most unique and amazing places I have been in italy. And the Residence is also excellent. The special sassi experience combined with modern amenity in the room is truly one of kind. The receptionist is also very friendly and extremely helpful. I am sorry that I didn't get his name. But I enjoyed it very much and would definitely like to go back there again. I think the only drawback is the breakfast. The idea of eating pre-packaged croissant is certainly strange, especially being in a land such as italy. I suggest the hotel should just cancel the whole breakfast concept. It will be more helpful for me if they could just simply recommend a nice place for breakfast outside if they rather not provide breakfast themselves. Nevertheless, it is a great hotel for the price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo