“very nice.. wonderful staff”
Review of Caveoso Hotel

Caveoso Hotel
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Hampton, NJ
“very nice.. wonderful staff”
Reviewed 2 June 2011

We had a great time, the staff treated us like family, and the view from the room was amazing. However, the air conditioning never really worked, and the room was very damp (if you left papers out overnight, they were soggy in the morning, and if you left any vitamins out, they were black by the morning) & warm, and it was August. Also, the TV didn't work. It was like it was there for decoration.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed 2 November 2009

I stumbled across this town and hotel and thought it would a perfect end to a holiday travelling around Italy. We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights and requested cave rooms.
We arrived and all seemed good - the location couldn’t be better - right in the middle of the old town and there was free and easy parking just round the corner - rare in Italy!
The reception was lovely and the dining area was set back in a cave - just what we were hoping for.
There appeared to be a little confusion over what rooms we were in as the owner and wife discussed it between themselves in great detail, ignoring us! We then got taken to the rooms - the owner seemed keen to sell the fact that the rooms were next to each other.....but I later found that this was being sold to me in the hope that I would over-look the many bad points of the room.
My parent's room was lovely (room 8)- clean & tidy, nice bathroom, great arched brick ceiling, some French doors out to a small balcony with great views of one of the churches and caves in the opposite hill-side - all ticking the right boxes.
Then I was taken to my room..... As soon as the door was opened, the damp stale musty and hot air hit you. The room was lovely to look at - real cave features - but there were two air-humidifiers plugged in and working on full.....but having little effect – no windows. There was a double bed made up but the sheets were damp. There was also a single bed in the room that wasn’t made up and the pink cover had 2 large mould patches on it - disgusting.
My room wasn’t that clean either - there was a cigarette rapper lying on the floor under one of the beds and although the cleaner made up the bed she/he never cleared that up.
In the bathroom there was mould around the bath edges, one wall was supposed to be white but there loads of round black damp patches, the ceiling of the bathroom had cracks and you just felt like you should keep everything away from the walls.
Also, there were limited plug sockets so I had the choice of air humidifiers.....or the TV! So, as the humidifiers weren’t really having any effect I thought I would watch TV......no luck, it wasn’t working!
That night I had a lovely visit......from a 3 inch centipede on the wall. Then, in the morning I found a scorpion on my bedroom wall. The next night I had another centipede running towards my bed and the last morning there were cockroaches on the walls – lovely!!
As for breakfast – lovely dining area but only member of staff there was more interested in chatting to a mate. There were 3 of us but the tables were set for just 2.....but the guy ignored us so we had to drag 2 tables together and clear one of them as he couldn’t be bothered to clear up after people left. There was a cereal dispenser, but when we had to ask for bowls, he gave us coffee cups to eat from and had to be told that it’s normally served with milk.....so he reluctantly gave us that. We had to ask for coffee....again, he really wasn’t in the slightest bit interested. Breakfast was pretty awful too – obviously we struggled with cereals but normally there is such a great selection of meats cheese fruit in Italian hotels.....not here. There were a few pastries.....but you had to be quick, they went pretty quick......then there was not much else... there was the night before’s pizza – strange, that wasn’t popular. Have to say, the 2nd morning, there was a lady serving breakfast and she was far better......but our first morning there was the first impression......
It was a great idea – a cave hotel.........but I am sure it could have been done better – I appreciate that there are ‘natural’ issues to deal with but the hotel just hadn’t bothered – awful. My room was grubby hot stale and damp....and was far from cheap. The staff had no interest.
Great town but only stay here if there is nothing else left in town!!

• Stayed October 2009
2 Thank Cinders2

Travellers are raving about these Matera hotels

florida
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Hotel was very nice right inside of the old city of Matera.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Berkshire, England
Reviewed 27 September 2009

We stayed two nights in September, the receptionist on the first night was very helpful as we needed a pharmacy and she phoned around to find one open - this was with our limited Italian and no English on her part. The rooms are not strictly in the caves, like quite a lot of the surrounding buildings they have been built out from the caves. The room was spacious with a large bathroom. We were very disappointed with the breakfast, there was not only very little choice but it had almost run out despite being available for at least another hour. There are only a few restaurants in the Sassi otherwise it is a drive or a very steep and unknown walk up into the old town. There is only one other hotel but a few bed and breakfasts. A very interesting place but not much to see after the first day or two.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Taranto - Italia
Reviewed 10 June 2009

"overbooked"! this is what I heard at the hotel reception when we arrived at Matera. I was immediately suggested to revert a near B&B and being around 20.30 hours, I had no choice. Hotel manager apologized saying he'd been trying for a while to reach me on my mobile phone, but he did not succeded with. It's completely false, as I receive an SMS for each failed attempt and I did not receive any from him. I'd like to highlight I booked my room at approx 16.00 hrs and some 4 hours later it was already "overbooked". It happened on tuesday and in the beginning of June, so definitely out of peak season. I would suggest to book elsewhere as I was also told by the hotel manager mine wasn't the first occasion he was facing an "overbooking case"!!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank mr.conte
Nottingham
Reviewed 14 April 2009

What a great, clean and friendly hotel to stay in! Easy to find, easy to park and located in a vastly different and amazing location right in the heart of the old town of Matera. The staff were more than friendly and even recommended a great restaurant to eat in. The rooms were perfect for our needs and very clean. Should we have needed anything else im sure that the staff would have helped. Overall stopping within a cave hundreds of years old will always making a lasting impression on your holiday!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends