“WOW!”

L'Hotel in Pietra
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Simply amazing.

Location, staff, and this fantastic town, I really felt like I was inside a film.

Cool mood and lush interiors, the italian owner was extremely hospitable and his wife the interior designer did a great job.

Will come back soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 25 April 2014

We just spent 5 nights at l'Hotel in Pietra and would definitely recommend it to anyone staying in Matera. We stayed in room 1007, which is on 4 levels (bedroom itself, bathroom, Jacuzzi and cave area) and includes cave features.

Roberto went out of his way to ensure we could use the (very newly installed) jacuzzi despite it being Easter weekend. He also helped us book a tour guide who came to pick us up at the hotel, came to pick us up from the airport and organised a transfer back to the airport. All of it with a smile. Nothing is a hassle.

The room itself was spectacular and we very much enjoyed the Jacuzzi after a day of walking up and down Matera's stairs! There is a sense of humidity which is to be expected in a cave, but we found that it was nothing that couldn't be solved with opening the window and turning down the radiator.

The only (slight) downside would be the breakfast, which includes bread, pastries, jams, etc. and a couple of savoury options that change every morning (quiches, bruschettas, pizzas). We personally would have preferred a choice of a couple of cheeses and cold cuts instead of the more dinner like savoury options on offer. But that's all dependent on personal taste I guess.

Either way, I'd gladly go back tomorrow.

Room Tip: 1007 includes Jacuzzi and larger window than some other rooms
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Our stay in l'Hotel in Pietra was in one word amazing!
As we celebrated the 50th birthday of my husband, we decided to make it an extra special stay so we stayed in the suite which was excellent in any way.
Thehotel is made up out of sandstone and built into rocks, the suite was luxuries and very comfortable.The bathroom was huge!
The owners, Roberto and Cristina went out of their way to make our stay as romantic as possible. They welcomed us with some prosecco and organised dinner in Osteria Pico, which was excellent.
If ever travelling to Matera, this is the place to stay!

Room Tip: The suite has a window view to the Sasso Barisano.
Reviewed 4 April 2014

Roberto has created a beautifully presented and imaginatively styled bed and breakfast out of the ancient church in the rocks. Our suite was spacious and unique, and the glimpses that we caught of the other rooms showed that they were equally beautiful. Breakfast was in the atmospheric nave of the church and was delicious. Roberto was a charming host.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

L'Hotel In Pietra is a unique place. It is an old church, turned into various things before becoming an exclusive hotel.
Most of it is excavated from the rock. The room we had was large, with a huge bathroom, all excavated, with a large recess as the shower and a huge rock bathtub. Amazing...!
The bedroom is elevated, with a window over the town, which is magic.
Unvelievable experience, A must for those who appreciate authenticity, beauty, quality and good service.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The sassi itself is magical. One does not fully comprehend this feeling until you're there. Our room was very large. The shower was luxuriously large. The mattress and pillows were memory foam ones if I've guessed them correctly. Hotel staff were extremely helpful.
We slept in room 1005. I can't complain about the room at all. I made a comment about it being rather warm at night when I checked out and was told I should have mentioned that and they would switch it off. Thus, worth noting, just ask. It's never too much trouble for the staff is the feeling I got.
The only improvement I would mention is the breakfast. Perhaps we have been pampered with the other breakfasts along the way. But I expected some cold cuts, salami, mortadella or any sort of ham and maybe slices of cheese? I also thought that thy pizetta slices should be kept warm and not left out to be ice cold. I'm sure they would taste great if kept warm.
I have to stress how great the stay was.
Would definitely recommend

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Foodgloriousfood88
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This 8 (shortly to be 9) room hotel, in the heart of Sasso Barisano, is reached on foot. Formerly a 13th century rock church and adjoining caves it has been transformed with loving care by the owner and his wife into a jewel of an hotel. An excellent website allows you to look at the rooms, all of which are different but contain all you could wish for a comfortable stay. All rooms have windows and excellent heating with plenty of hot water. Any ladies concerned about a previous comment saying it is impossible to dry one's hair because of the damp atmosphere can be reassured. The atmosphere is not damp and I washed and dried my hair with no problem at all. Breakfast is excellent with a good choice of sweet and savoury items as well as a large fruit bowl, all of a high standard. This hotel excels in customer service. Roberto, the owner, wants all his guests to have a relaxed and comfortable stay and goes out of his way to make everyone feel welcome and at home. In this he is well supported by his staff. I have stayed happily in many family run hotels in Italy but nowhere have I felt so immediately totally at home as in L'Hotel in Pietra. I stayed 6 nights and was very sorry to leave. The hotel and Matera itself are unique and it is a privilege to have spent time in such surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo