“Nice area but overcrowded and dangerous”
Review of Coast Road

Coast Road
Book In Advance
More Info
US$117.89*
and up
Day Trip To Amalfi Coast From Your Hotel in...
Ranked #19 of 304 things to do in Amalfi Coast
More attraction details
Owner description: Also called the "Amalfi Drive," this coastal route south from Sorrento is one of the most beautiful in Europe.
Reviewed 25 April 2017

On a monday off-season I would have expected the traffic to be reasonable, but it was overcrowded! I am used to crowded areas but this was really too much, actually dangerous with scooters, buses, bikes, and people on the street. Nowhere to park or stop to enjoy the views. I would not recommend to visit the road by car in the high-season. I was warned upfront to use the boat from Salerno; I wish I listened to that advice. At the end we found a very expensive parking area in Positano. The town is very nice with a nice beach to enjoy the sun but also here expect high prices for almost everything. I don't want to fear you but just want you to know what you can expect.
rating would be 5 out of 5 if it was not crowded.

3  Thank jeroenknegsel
in 6 reviews
"the cliff"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed 20 April 2017

Yes, this is definitely a scenic drive. Blue waters, steep cliffs, mountain side towns, harbors... However, for us, all of that was undercut by the hoards of people and by the driving conditions. It was hard to relax and take in the views; too many distractions. The term "loved to death" comes to mind. Although the big tour busses played havoc with the other vehicles on this road, I now can see the appeal of being a passenger in one of those and leaving the hassle factor up to the bus driver. We did the drive in April; I can not image what it must be like during the peak tourist season.

5  Thank Mike O
Reviewed 12 April 2017

It was amazing to be able to drive through this coast and to see such beautiful scenery and towns. Well worth the trip. Be prepared to have much time. Traffic can be a total jam there. Roads are narrow.

Reviewed 11 April 2017 via mobile

What a road ! Breathtaking views beautiful towns and villages and absolutely crazy locals over taking you on blind corners ! Think I enjoyed the driving as much as any other part of the experience, I had a weeks driving experience in Italy and we were staying in the hills so I'd done my Italian driving apprenticeship. It truly is a worthwhile drive although a co-pilot to shout ' too close' as you edge close to park cars, brick walls etc definitely helps. Can't wait to do it all again although it would be a very slow drive peak season.

1  Thank newmonkey