NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 24 August 2012

This hotel was amazing on so many levels. It was expensive but worth every cent. The views from the room were sublime. The outdoor terrace and pool area was magnificent. It was a little awkward navigating to the rooms, however this and the history of the hotel added to the charm.
The staff weren't as friendly as some of the other Italian hotels we stayed at, but there was no major issues. A truly relaxing and beautiful hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,020)

Reviewed 23 August 2012

Such a great place to come while keeping the birthday celebration and Italian adventure going. Rooms were somewhat smaller in comparisons to other five star properties previously stayed at on this trip. The drive was a bit of a roller-coaster and dreadful traffic night and day ( made the 405 look okay) but the views are phenomenal. Loved the array of color palettes at every glimpse. Our hotel infinity pool was a great treat after being in the sea. Nice sunbathing. Short boat ride away from Positano and Capri. History everywhere. An amazing hotel to come back to after boating. Ravello is a must visit for the day while being on in Amalfi.

Excellent breakfast. The staff was very friendly and helpful for advice - dining, exploring, shopping, boating, etc. The view from my room window was enough to say I don't know when I am leaving this place, lol. Such much historical value (ancient monk monastery) beautiful lemon and lime groves, shaded, romantic, peaceful places to lounge. Definitely one of the must do’s of Italy.

Room Tip: Every space on this property is beautiful.
Reviewed 11 August 2012

We have just spent a couple of days at this hotel, perched on the cliff above Amalfi. This was our second visit . It is the perfect place to be on a get-away-from-it-all break. So peaceful no matter how full the hotel is. The staff was so pleasant ; service with a smile, ready to give friendly advice when asked.
We found the minimalist, white décor so refreshing in contrast to the record hot temperatures outside. We couldn’t think of a more peaceful and serene place to stay when planning to visit Capri, Sorrento, Positano or Ravello; all so crowded at this time of the year.
We were tempted to just sit in the shade of the bougainvillea or fruit-laden lemon trees down the monk’s walk or soak in the infinity pool, sipping fresh, iced-lemon watching the activity of the boats in the little harbour below rather than venture out in the heat. So spectacular and so pleasantly different to any other hotel we have ever stayed at. We will be back yet again!

Reviewed 9 August 2012

The first thing that hits you when you arrive on the Amalfi coast are the breathtaking views of the ocean, mountains and the towns. This hotel has views in abundance. The layout of the hotel is a bit awkward. You have to take up to three separate lifts to get to your room from the hotel's lobby.

We had a sea view room with a balcony. The room was clean and comfortable.

I think the prices at the hotel bar are at the 'very expensive' end of the hotel spectrum. This is a bit unfortunate because I would have enjoyed a few more drinks at the hotel bar, overlooking the stunning town of Amalfi. I recall beers being around the 7 euro mark.

The hotel's beach (accessed via a 10 minute boat trip) was very good.

Reviewed 4 August 2012

First, let me say that this is a beautiful hotel. If you're only staying two or three nights, on a tour, you'll be fine.

We have three children and they couldn't get us connecting rooms. Okay, that happens a lot in Europe but we were really far from one another. We asked to move closer so they showed us a much smaller room next door to the children. Sure, we liked the bigger room but it would be too inconvenient. My husband said "Please return with the new price since they can't be the same price".

She never returned so my husband asked. The room that was half the size was indeed the same price. That just didn't seem right. She could have at least returned to tell us but we had to ask.

The rooms were pretty but we were very cramped. There was no bathtub in our room, just a shower. We didn't have much room to put our things away. There was only a drawer in the desk. There wasn't a balcony but this side extra room with two hanging chairs. The window there couldn't be opened so it was too hot to sit in there. There was one small window, with a great view, by the bed. Later we saw there was a review that warned specifically to not stay in our room (406). Too late!

There was this romantic curtain around the bed but it smelled dusty. I have allergies so I had to hang it up on the pole to get it out of my way. Also, they did a turn down service at night but didn't check the bathroom. My shower cap got wet (thank you husband) and we ran out of TP. I'm thinking, how much are we spending and I'm changing my own toilet paper and don't even have a shower cap...

My husband asked for ice and lemon for drinks. When they brought them, the woman told my husband "This time is for free but next time you have to pay for the lemon".

The parking was something like 25 Euros a day and the internet connection was an eye-watering 18 Euros a day and it didn't work well.

Something happened with my husband's car and the parking attendants. It's a Lexus Hybrid so it works a little differently. I don't want to go on about it since most reading this wont be bringing their own personal car to Almalfi (which I don't recommend!) But that put him off more to the hotel.

The one time we ate dinner there, it was excellent. Expensive but the service, food and atmosphere was all stellar. The manager is especially friendly and accommodating.

I also liked the decor. Sure, it's a little cold and laboratory-like but reinventing a monastery must be a tricky design challenge. My family liked doing monk-chants in the hallway.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when my husband asked to have some ice cream. They didn't have any. Italy is known for ice cream and they simply had none.

So my husband says, we're paying a premium price, while being charged for every small thing, meanwhile cramped in a small room with nowhere to put anything away and we can't even get ice cream...

Our travel budget is pretty generous but we were feeling like we were not getting our money's worth here. For a few hundred Euros less, it might not have been a big deal but at these prices, you do have high expectations and this hotel was not meeting them.

I simply went to the desk and told them we would be checking out the next day, a full week early. They asked if we wanted to change rooms and we said no. It wasn't just about the room. It was not a problem, thankfully.

It turned out to be a wise move. We couldn't find another hotel available to our specifications in Almalfi so we headed up the hill to Ravello next door, which we loved. It was better for both our budget and our sanity.

I did take some great pictures of the hotel and I did see that there are some beautiful premium rooms on the top floors. I would recommend one of those. Just don't bring a car, children and plan to eat ice cream somewhere else.

Room Tip: Get something high with a view and a balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Calsacienne
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Having read some recent reviews, we were a little concerned that the hotel would snot live up to our expectations. As this was to be my 60th birthday weekend and a family gathering, my husband wanted everything to be just perfect - and it was!

From the arrival (car and luggage taken care of) to the warm welcome we felt very well looked after. The room was more spacious than we anticipated and the view from the room was breathtaking. We took all our meals on the terrace and again found staff very attentive and the menu was very much to our liking especially the taster menu for my birthday meal. The infinity pool and the monks walk were perfect for relaxing and reading. We took the free boat to the beach - a little crowded but so are all the beaches on this coast. Even the free internet was not problematic.

Room Tip: All rooms have excellent views
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The Convento di Amalfi is a beautiful old convent on the cliffside of Amalfi, perfectly renovated in a clean, modern feel. Our room was small, but had a balcony overlooking the Amalfi marina. The bathroom was spacious, with a full tub.

Most impressive is the infinity pool and outdoor area. You can also take a quick boat ride to a private beach with chairs reserved for hotel guests -- but the beach is crowded and rocky, so I'd stay at the pool.

My only two hesitations: the food was just okay (your better off walking into town) and my facial at the spa was terrible. Oh -- and they had a terrible ant problem so don't leave food in your room!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Santa Caterina Hotel
#3 of 29 in Amalfi
Hotel Aurora
Hotel Aurora
#7 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi? Share your experiences!