“Beautiful hotel, dreadful staff!”

NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
Ranked #4 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 October 2012

This hotel is situated in a stunning location on the Amalfi coast. The hotel building, grounds, common areas etc are gorgeous and the very picture of luxury and elegance. However this hotel has one problem which overshadows all its positive qualities. And that one problem is the staff and service. Across the board, the staff are rude, unfriendly, argumentative and generally give the impression that they would rather be anywhere else than help the hotel guests. We stayed here for 3 nights in october and were very disppointed with the staff's performance. We were told that a shuttle would meet us at the bus stop and take us to the hotel. We emailed them multiple times to let them know our itinerary. We arrived in Amalfi in pouring rain in the evening and despite waiting for 25 mins, didnt find this shuttle. We eventually walked up the hill with our luggage in the rain to get to the property. The reception staff (Delfina in partcular) were unapologetic and blamed us for the shuttle's absence. When we politely tried to ask aboutt he missing shuttle, she told us "please dont argue with me, that is not my style". We decided to not argue with this rude person and spoil our mood further.
Apart from the staff, here were some obvious issues with the hotel and its rooms. The on site restaurant was ridiculously expensive and served average food. The breakfast staff was bored and least interested in serving. Breakfast is good but focuses heavily on pastry items. The main dining room is beyond gorgeous and overlooks the amazing blue sea. However, the staff just stand around looking bored. Wifi in the room works but you have to keep asking for free vouchers every day and updating your device with new passcodes. (this assumes that if you get a free wifi deal while booking). This is inconvenient and annoying. For some strange reason, our deluxe room turned out to be rather small but had two bathrooms. The room was basically smaller than the bathrooms. The showers were very poorly designed and the bathroom would flood every time we tried to take a shower. The water in the showers alternated between warm and scalding hot every 60 seconds or so. There were two tiny shelves in the bedroom and no drawers to put our stuff away. The television would start okay but changed to give grainy and staticky display within a few minutes. All in all, a very beautiful hotel with thoughtlessly planned rooms and rude, ill mannered staff to match. Very expensive and definitely not worth it.

Room Tip: get a sea view room on a higher floor.
5  Thank crabs_pdx
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 28 October 2012

fabulous location, service and architecture.
Stayed in October 2012 and were very lucky with the weather, we ate out a lot as we had children but the restaurant was good for lunch on the terrace and the concierge arranged dinner reservations.
May be a bit stark in cold weather as its a very cool hotel and perfect for Mediterranean atmosphere
Pool not massive and not a splash pool for young kids in my view, but beach is pebbly but nice
Cleaners arrive in the long corridor rather noisily and woke us all up..my only complaint

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 31jane
Reviewed 15 October 2012

We had an amazing honeymoon stay at this hotel! Yes it was a bit pricey but for a special occasion 100% worth it.
I can’t really fault anything with the hotel; the staff were so helpful and friendly and took a genuine interest in your questions etc.

We were upgraded to a larger room and given a complimentary bottle of Prosecco as it was our honeymoon, both lovely touches!

The hotel is large but has the atmosphere of a much smaller boutique hotel. The rooms are quite minimal but in keeping with the overall interior of the building. The pool area is one of the best I have ever been too, such an amazing view and gets sun for much longer than the hotel balconies.
Choices for breakfast are fantastic and the lunch is also great!

The walk into Amalfi centre is only around 7 minutes so nothing at all to complain about here (unless you have difficulty walking and then there is a shuttle!)
The staff made dinner reservations for us (Try Eolo its amazing!) and not once pushed us to spend more money with their excursions / drinks etc which makes a change from some other hotel chains.

Thank you for a wonderful honeymoon, we were both sad to leave!

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the top have the best views (but you need to take more lifts to reach them)
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We arrived and found the hotel very easily with the aid of sat nav, we pulled up outside and a porter parked the car for us and sorted our bags. There are lots of elevators to get to reception as it is so elevated. We were given a comp drink as we checked in and then shown to our room. We had a junior suite with a sea view terrace. It was absolutely gorgeous. Yes we paid a lot for the 3 nights but it was such a treat. The room was large, lovely bathroom, loads of storage and great terrace furniture. Huge bed although a little firm.
A complimentary bottle of Prosecco waas a great welcome.
The views from this hotel are absolutely stunning, the flower filled walkways are just amazing and so peaceful. The decor has been done so well, not retracting from the original architecture at all.
Brekfast was perfect and to sit on the terrace in the sun overlooking Amalfi was a memory we will never forget. We spent one morning at the pool And again loved the infinty views.
The whole hotel is stunning, it was a real priviledge to stay somewhere with such history and beauty. The photos around the hotel gave an amazing insight into the history of the hotel.
As we were checking out the manager gave us a personal tour of the church ( do ask to see it as it is not kept open all the time ) and cloister and an insight into the work that went into converting the hotel.
The staff were helpful at all times and appear to be guided by the love and passion the manageress has for the hotel. A particular mention to Giurnio, whenever we stepped outside if he was on duty he would always make sure we were able to cross the road safely, stopping the ttraffic as needed.
Can see that other reviews have mentioned the walk into town, yes there are steps and it is a busy road but this is Amalfi, it honestly takes no maore than 5 mins to get into town by foot and only 7 mins to get back, unless people have a problem with mobility I cannot believe they would want a shuttle bus.
Would return in a heartbeat !!!

Room Tip: Room 714 -Junior suite with terrace - expensive but we thought is so worth it
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The Hotel Convento had been billed as a luxury hotel - one of the best on the Amalfi Coast - by the Amex Platinum travel service. We stayed there in September 2012 with another couple as the four of us visited Italy for the first time.

The hotel is lovely and the setting is superb. We enjoyed the views, the grounds (old convent and nice gardens) as well as the town of Amalfi. The service overall was wonderful and we really enjoyed the singing waiters at dinner in the hotel one night.

However, I think the NH Hotel chain which now owns the hotel has some work to do to make this a true luxury hotel. We had 3 main complaints:
1) Room Cleanliness. We stayed for 4 nights. Housekeeping was spotty at best. We had dust bunnies in the corners of the room, towels were replaced on occasion, shampoo was NOT replaced and the sink was never cleaned properly. One of these items - or even a few on one day - could be overlooked but it was consistent over the 5 days and 4 nights that we stayed there.
2) Storage - c'mon...many of the hotel guests were there for extended stays or Amalfi was one stop on a longer trip. We had one drawer, approximately 30x6 inches (see picture). The rest of the "closet" (part of the room with a curtain) had limited hanging and only 10 hangers. Our friends had NO drawer and the hanging area was even smaller.
3) The WATER TEMPERATURE - I don't know what was going on but the water in the shower varied from scalding hot to cold in a matter of seconds. I learned to wash my hair by standing outside of the water and jumping in when the temperature was normal. We complained repeatedly and the front desk was sympathetic but unhelpful. They claimed that it had started right before we arrived and that they had a plumber there daily but we saw no change. Supposedly some rooms were more affected than others.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KPDallas
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Amazing looking hotel with views to die for. It's elevated (amalfi!) and overlooks the sea. With the infinity pool the effect is almost surreal. It's a modern hotel with old roots. It feels very luxurious.

The staff were very friendly and the hotel was fairly empty (which we liked). We did not spend much time in the hotel, but I could have spent several days by the pool without getting restless I am sure. A very serene experience.

The restaurant was also very good. The food a bit pricey but it's a 5-star after all. It tasted 5-star as well so I'm not complaining really. The waiter knew a LOT about wine which really made the experience so much more interesting. Again, we paid for it, but well worth it. Next time maybe we won't have as much to drink, but what else is there to do apart from eat in a restaurant! The restaurant terrace is a must.

Would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Convento Di Amalfi in July 2012 for the second leg of our 4 part Europe Trip (Rome, Amalfi, Cannes and Paris). By far this was one of the best hotels we stayed at
during our entire trip and definitely one of the most unique and best properties we have ever stayed at.

First I have to say that this property was fabulously redone as a resort, especially since it used to be a convent. Its simply amazing how the decor is so modern and understated yet it really wows. It has such a serene and relaxing feel and they kept so much of the original detail that it truly feels like a convent, not like a 5 star resort, yet it completely delivers everything you would expect from a 5 star resort. I love it when companies pay attention and honor the original use of the space that they are recreating. There are a lot of aspects of the hotel that pay hommage to its original use, such as pictures, original furnishings from the days the hotel was a convent, and a beautiful cloister that is so quiet and peaceful that my husband took a picture of me in a meditation pose that has now become my favorite picture. The entire hotel has many other areas in addition to the cloister that feel so private and off limits, yet the hotel leaves them open to the guests of the resort and you feel like its your own private resort. We used one of these spaces one evening to do a workout, it was up on the 7th or 8th floor near the fitness center, and we took some of the fitness equipment to a public balcony that was VERY private. We spent over an hour up there working out with some of the best views I have ever experienced during a workout, it was simply amazing.

We were there during a very busy season, but it never felt busy or crowded, actually, it often felt like the resort was our own private resort. I think because it was a convent and was built so long ago it has really great sound proofing, and it was so quiet.

The room we stayed in was a sea view, we opted not to get a terrace because of the price, but honestly once I saw the rooms with terraces I really wished we had one, it would have been totally worth the price, although if you cant afford it, there are so many quiet, private spaces around the resort that you can easily find your own private little outdoor area, so a terrace is not a must. The windows in the room were very cool, one of my favorite memories of this trip was opening the windows in the morning, and letting the sound of the sea in, and the sound of the children playing at the beach, when the windows are closed its complete silence, when open, its like letting Amalfi into your room. THe bathroom had a window right in the shower and it was such a cool view, while I showered I could see yachts coming in and out of the harbor, absolutely the best shower I have ever taken b/c of the view. We did not spend that much time in the hotel room anyways b/c there is so much to see and do in and around Amalfi. The hotel room itself felt very minimalist, which I happen to really appreciate, but if you are not a fan of this, you might want to think about not staying here, its a theme throughout the entire resort and while its very well done, those who dont appreciate it may not be happy. I dont want to undersell it, while its minimalist, it also feels rich and luxurious with a 13th century feel to it, kind of difficult to explain but once you stay there you will understand.

The resort amenities:
Spa - I got a body massage, whooooaa, the Europeans are not kidding when they say full body, be prepared for that if you are an American. It was a great massage though.
The spa itself is not what I am used to however, it was pretty simple and there was no tea, coffee or water for guests which I thought could easily be added.

Pool - by far the most spectacular pool I have ever been in. The view from the edge of the pool is absolutely amazing and you can perch yourself on the ledge at the edge of the pool, its the greatest experience and if you get a picture while up there you will be amazed at how awesome of a picture it is, take the opportunity to get this shot, its worth the price of the hotel in itself. I now have a fab picture of my husband and I sitting on the ledge and it looks like we are suspended in the middle of the Mediterranean.

Breakfast - this was a fantastic breakfast, b/w this and the first hotel we stayed at in Rome (St. Regis Rome) we were so spoiled! the breakfast buffet was awesome! Their cappuccinos were so delicious, and the views at breakfast were probably my favorite part of every day we were there, I could have spent the entire day sipping cappuccinos staring at the glittering Mediterranean.
On a side note, one night we were too tired to trek down the stairs to the town (its a bit of a hike, although you can take a shuttle from the hotel) and we stayed at the hotel for dinner, and this was a MAJOR LET DOWN, it was quite expensive and not good at all. The town has so many great little restaurants that are much cheaper and have 100 times better food, we were really kicking ourselves for not making the trek. It was surprising how bad dinner was b/c breakfast was so great.

The Views - no matter where you are in this hotel, you have a completely amazing views and the pictures dont do it justice! The most amazing views I have ever encountered, I would personally rate it better than Bora Bora.

Service - was pretty good, I wouldnt rate it excellent, but it was good. They did not really go out of their way to service you (except at breakfast) but they were there when you needed them for the most part. For what you are paying they could probably improve on the service factor.

Beach - the hotel has a beach that you get tickets to go to from the hotel and then you get there by boat, we went and it was pretty cool, they had a restaurant and you could rent kayaks, etc, the beaches are very different, you might want to bring water shoes if you have not been to the mediterranean, very rocky and hard to walk on, but the water is so clear and it literally looks like there are gold flecks glimmering in the water, absolutely beautiful

Amalfi in general - is one of the greatest little towns and places you can visit and everyone should go there at least once in life. Its so quiet and feels like a resort town for sure, but the people are pretty friendly and there are a lot of restaurants, shops and cafes, if you like gelato and cappuccino, you will LOVE amalfi.

We took a ferry to Capri, and while Capri was okay, we much preferred Amalfi, its much less touristy (still touristy but Capri is ridiculous).

Transportation to/from hotel - we had the hotel send a driver to pick us up from the train station in Salerno, it was a very nauseating drive for me, as I get car sick and its windy and the driver was fast (he's used to those tight curves) it was somewhat frightening at times being up on the cliffs and speeding around the curves, so if thats not your thing, take the ferry. The driver cost $90 euros and took about an hour, the ferry was $8 euros per person and took half the time, it was also a great view from the water of all the towns on the way back to Salerno. I would recommend the ferry, or driver one way to see Italy by land, and the ferry one way to see it all by sea. THey do not sell advance tickets on the ferry you have to buy them the day of, but the ferry was reliable and on time and very efficient.

Overall, this hotel was such a great experience, its a bit pricey, but the memories I have of this hotel are priceless. When I think about this hotel, I think of the views, the sounds of the sea and children playing at the beach, and the overall feeling of serenity I had here, it was such a great stay. I will definitely be back someday!

Room Tip: Get a room with a sea view or a terrace, you wont regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SUNandSANDLOVER77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Santa Caterina Hotel
#1 of 5 in Conca dei Marini
Hotel Margherita
Hotel Margherita
#2 of 20 in Praiano

Been to NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi? Share your experiences!