NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
GreenLeadersGold level
RAS BEIRUT
“Excellent”
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

We were two families and stayed in 4 different rooms. We had the time of my life in Amalfi. What a beautiful place! The view from the hotel terrace and the rooms is magnificent. The service in the hotel is excellent. I advise everyone to visit Amalfi and stay at this hotel. A piece of heaven on earth...this is how I would describe amalfi.

• Stayed July 2014
FulviaClapier, Direttore at NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Nanoo,

Many thanks for having chosen the Grand Hotel di Amalfi to spend your Italian vacation and many more thanks for sharing your positive feedback about our hotel and Amalfi!

I am truly glad to know that you did enjoy not only the beauty of the Amalfi Coast, but you did appreciate our services as well. Your very nice words were much appreciated from all of us.

Looking forward to welcoming you again to the Grand Hotel Convento,

Your sincerly,

Fulvia Clapier
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Arabic first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We have stayed in hundreds of luxury hotels around the world and felt compelled to write a review on this hotel based on our poor experience. I have only written a few reviews before based on a strong opinion whether good or bad. I would say my husband and I are very fair people and do not expect a lot, but we do expect to receive good service from a 5 star hotel.

We booked Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi for our honeymoon for 6 nights in August and were amazed how beautiful the coastline is on our drive to the hotel. I have seen reviews where people have complained about the road the hotel is on and the “very long journey” to get from the hotel to the beach (2 lifts and a further 50 steps). But they have to remember that they are staying in a hotel cut into a cliff so this should be expected. And the views from the hotel are absolutely spectacular and worth the journey down to the beach.

When we arrived at the hotel, the check-in process was very smooth, but the lady who dealt with us took us straight to the room without showing us around the hotel. We have read other reviews where people have received a welcome drink – we did not receive this. We stayed in a Junior Suite Deluxe and this lady kept trying to convince us that we were upgraded. We certainly weren’t – we paid for this room and that is the room we stayed in, yet she would not listen to us.

This brings me to the room itself. Firstly, we were disappointed that having mentioned it was our honeymoon several times, they did NOTHING to acknowledge it, and nothing throughout our stay. Not even a welcome drink in our room. This did nothing to make us feel special during our honeymoon. Secondly, the room was extremely basic and not 5 star at all with very dirty floors (black feet if you don’t wear slippers). A bare white room with 1 small drawer for storage. We had 5 hangers for our cupboard and had to call down twice to receive a further 5 hangers – how generous. However our terrace was spectacular. Incredible views and spacious. We enjoyed lying on our sun loungers and having lunch on our terrace. We soon understood that we were paying for the terrace, not the room.

There were a further 3 major issues with the service:
1. My husband sent a few shirts for ironing. At €6 a shirt they came back almost as creased as they were when we sent them. There is no iron in your room – they say it’s due to “health and safety” but it’s clearly another way to make money as I have never stayed in a hotel where they will not send an iron.
2. We pressed the laundry button on the phone and after a very confusing conversation with an Italian gentlemen, it turned out that button had put me through to another guest’s room!!
3. We asked reception to book us a table for dinner twice. Once was at their own restaurant – we were guaranteed a table on the terrace, again mentioning it was our honeymoon. When we got there we were told “we don’t have your reservation and there is no room for you as people have come here from the bar”. Extremely disappointing, especially as we had reserved several days in advance, and reconfirmed on that day. The second time we asked them to book us a table at a restaurant in Praiano. When we got there, there was no record of our booking yet again. Luckily the manager at this other restaurant did everything he could to get us a table, and a table right by the beach (Il Pirata – highly recommended).

To sum up, although the views are incredible, this hotel is certainly not 5 star for many reasons (dirty basic room, poor service, unhelpful staff). Many of our friends who also love luxury holidays and have been to Amalfi several times told us to stay at Hotel Santa Caterina as it’s the best but we thought we would try something new. We wish we didn’t and will certainly not recommend this hotel.

3 Thank Tanya K
Dear Tanya K,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi for your honeymoon and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I wish also to thank you for taking the time to write your feedback and I’m really sorry to learn that your stay with us didn’t meet your highest expectations.

All your comments regarding many areas we should improve on are well taken. I can ensure you that our hotel staff is very professional and attentive in arranging the best welcome and giving further attention to all of our guests. I do personally apologise for the inconveniences you experienced in our restaurant and with our concierge service please be aware that I have taken action to ensure that they won’t happen again.

Please accept once again my sincere apologies and I really hope to welcome you again, to let you experience a faultless visit.

Fulvia Clapier
Hotel Manager
Adendorf, Deutschland
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Excelent view and great time :-). We stayed at this hotel during our recent stay in Amalfi and loved it. Everything was as described on the website. The hotel and rooms have beautiful views and the hotel is centrally located in Amalfi. All the staff was extremely helpful at all times and always very nice and polite. Our room was also very nice with a quiet location, plenty of clothing space and a large bathroom. We will absolutely stay in the hotel again and will recommend to any friends traveling to the area.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels

FulviaClapier, Direttore at NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear Tom,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi for your vacation and it was a pleasure to have you as our guest.

I wish also to thank you for taking the time to write your comments after your stay. I am truly glad you enjoyed our hospitality and service and your words were much appreciated.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hotel Convneto and in the meantime we send you our best regards,
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I have never written a review on a hotel before and have stayed in many around the world. However, I felt particularly compelled to write about this hotel as I have never had such a faultless experience. My husband and I have just returned from our honeymoon and stayed here for 4 nights. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted with a welcome drink on the beautiful terrace, this was lovely touch after our journey. Once checked in we found a complimentary bottle of fizz in our room. Our view was breathtaking, the room spotless with a cool and crisp feel. Bathroom was very well equipped including razors which came in handy for my husband having forgotten his. Beds are made perfectly every day and pulled down for you at night with chocolates at your bedside, again a lovely touch.
The service we received from everyone was just fantastic. Staff can't do enough for you and are so welcoming, friendly and professional. The pool is just breathtaking. The breakfast is delicious with so much choice. I would recommend booking dinner in the hotel also. We ate there on our last night and it was the best meal we'd had the whole trip (which in Amalfi is some going, the food is gorgeous everywhere). The chef sent out little extras for us to taste, it was truly a great experience.
We booked the Lemon Tour through the hotel. I would definitely recommend this. It really gives you an insight into the beauty and culture of Amalfi. The man who takes this is so passionate about the lemon grove and his family business. It was fantastic and the cake at the end was to die for.
As I say, I have never felt compelled to write a review before but was is impressed with this hotel I had to. There was nothing I could think of to improve, it was faultless.

Dear Sarah,

I truly appreciate the time, and your first time!, you took to share your feedback after your stay.

I’m delighted to learn that your stay was enjoyable and I’m furthermore glad to learn your appreciation about the kindness and professionalism of the Hotel Staff and I’ll be happy to extend your comments to the whole team with a special note to our Chef Alberto who is waiting for your return to surprise you with his new recipes!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Grand Hotel Convento and in the meantime we send you our best regards,
London
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

The original foundation of this hotel are from 1212 I think the beds are the same. If you're into hard uncomfortable beds even worse pillows... But a great view and great service, in a town that offers nothing special this is your place.....!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Soh4il
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 12 August 2014

After the hectic stay in Rome and Naples, the hotel with its phenomenal service felt like paradise on earth. The views from the hotel restaurant and the Monk terrace leading from the hotel to its pool are just amazing and best in Amalfi. Loved enjoying my morning coffee and breakfast on the most beautiful terrace in the world and relaxing in the infinity pool...

The hotel has two parts - one is in the ancient XII century convent. Just walking around the hotel feels like diving into history. You can till see the XII century cloister with ancient frescos and sculptures where wedding receptions are still held. I guess room in the old part of the hotel, although renovated, are small and may have limited views. The other part of the hotel was added in the XX century. All hotel was renovated in 2010. Our room was the biggest room at the corner of the hotel on it highest floor in the newer part. It was a suite and had a huge sunbathing terrace (but we had to pay a fortune for it). The room next to us was also great, not a suite but its terrace had better views. The room was immaculately clean - always. they check the rooms twice a day.. The bed was very comfortable...

The rooms décor is quite simplistic - the region is famous for its linen, so my guess is the hotel interior designer tried to reflect it in the design - everything is linen, white or beige.

The hotel has incredibly welcoming, polite and helpful staff to assist you with your every need and desire - be it at check-in, a concierge or restaurant staff. Weused consierge's help quite a lot with advice and guidance on getting around, sightseeing, finding hiking trails, booking tickets to Ravello classical music festival. My favourite concierges there were two ladies both named Antonellas - both were incredibly knowledgeable and helpful. My advice would be to trust their recommendations, especially in terms of restaurant selection to avoid tourist traps with mediocre food... Everything they recommended to us was wonderful.

Many thanks to Fulvia Clapier, the hotel director, who made special efforts to make our stay so amazing. She tries to meets guests personally at check-in, talks to them in a restaurant, makes you feel welcome and at home. I really appreciated this personal touch in comparison with snobbish service we received in 5-star hotels in Rome and Naples.

The only improvement I would recommend to the hotel is to prolong the pool hours till later ( the poll closes at 6pm...)

Would go back in a heart bit and am actually planning to be back. I simply fell in love with Amalfi and that place.

Room Tip: Get the highest floor in the newer section. Ask for a room with a terrace.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Americanaexotica7
Dear Calgary,

I would like to personally thank you for your very positive feedback, I am truly glad you enjoyed our hospitality and service and your words were much appreciated.

There is nothing more rewarding for us to see than a satisfied guest, our aim is to make our Guests "feel special"!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Incredible views of the water, if you want to relax by the pool...trust me it is like no other pool. It is an infinity pool with spectacular views of the ocean...
Service from, check in/out good...staff ready to answer and make suggestions as to what activities are available.
Rooms, very simple and minimalist but clean...offering slippers and robes for your comfort...food at the hotel was very good and full of taste. Having dinner there on the outside patio simply amazing with views and food.
Location is great walk 10 minutes to town.

Overall, it was a positive experience.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Santa Caterina Hotel
#8 of 29 in Amalfi
Miramalfi Hotel
Miramalfi Hotel
#12 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi? Share your experiences!