“Beware! this hotel is tricky!”

Hotel Bellevue Suites
Ranked #24 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 7 July 2008

Firstly, as some of other reviews already said, they were very strict at food.
And, they were also tricky at every kind of charge, so you should be carefully on every thing what you did in the hotel.

This hotel doesn’t have a restaurant, and located a bit far side from central of Amalfi, but hotel rule said “don’t bring back any foods from outside, because of to avoid ants” so every time we should worry on how to eat foods.
Once we drunk “Limoncello” in balcony, what we brought back from central of Amalfi, then a hotel stuff saw us from top of the roof ( ! ), and somebody gave a call to our room quite quickly, and he said “don’t drink without order to us”. I guess, it was Tomas, the hotel owner.

Once, I had a cold in stay, so we couldn’t eat out.
I asked to them as “could you make some of foods for us?” then they made lunch and dinner for us. It was lucky for us, but,
Lunch : a tomato salad, some of boiled eggs, some peace of breads, and a cup of orange juice.
Dinner : a soup of cheese, egg and parsley, some boiled rice and a bottle of mineral water.
As total, they charged 60uero.

When I asked on the price before eat, Antonio, the son of the owner said “normally, foods of hotel is much cheaper than central of Amalfi”.
But actually, there was no difference with restaurant, or in fact, it was expensive than others. Off course, the taste of foods was not special, because they are not professionals of cook.

And, they tried to charge extra money to us.
When we checked out this hotel, they show me the bill, but I found obviously strange charge in it.
The price of rooms raised 10euro expensive than the price when we booked, and clothes cleaning fee was 2 to 3 times expensive than when I ordered them.
I pointed on them, then quickly Antonio reduce the costs.

So what I can say others is, “ if you could book other hotel in Amalfi, I can recommend there instead of this hotel”.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank hushmotor
There are newer reviews for Hotel Bellevue Suites

Reviewed 21 May 2008

The Hotel Bellevue Suites was a nice, clean 3* hotel. It is about a 15 min walk into the city center of Amalfi and the views were pretty nice. The biggest downfall of the hotel were all the "house rules". I am not sure if someone royally screwed these guys over or not, but I almost felt bad for not hanging the towles up and making the bed.
Some of their house rules are: "You can't bring outside food into the hotel. They offer good quality food at comparable prices to town". (I guess that's a way to get you to buy their food and drink their beer/liquor in their bar area). Although, this also applies to snacks, not just food or take away. Also, "You are not to put your feet up on the bed, chairs. If you need to put your feet up, you must take off your shoes". Another rule was that they would inspect your room before you left, and if they deemed it was "too dirty" then you would have to pay an extra charge to have them clean it, and the towels, bedding etc.
It was a nice place, but the rules drove me crazy. The fact that we couldn't just buy some wine or beer or soda and sit out on our nice balcony with a nice view put a damper on our trip. I am not sure if you are allowed to bring in bottled water or not, but we snuck in a bottle or two from time to time, and then we didn't throw out the empty bottle until we were outside the hotel! So, if you like to enjoy snacks or beverages or just like to put your feet up, be forewarned. If that doesn't bother you one bit, then the hotel is great!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank CKrutil
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Just returned from The Hotel Bellevue Suites staying over the Easter Holiday 2008.
The Hotel was renovated in 2007 and is spotlessly clean and renovated to a very good standard. The Hotel is situated on the main coast road to Positano, overlooking the sea and looking down to the charming town of Amalfi 15 minutes walk away downhill(very pleasant) and 25 minutes uphill(challenging).
The hotel offers a taxi service(5 euros each way).
On the downside we found the breakfast very dissappointing.There was no buffet , just a glass of orange, coffee and bread with salami and cheese.
Whilst we were there the weather was windy . There were metal flag poles above the front sea rooms which included mine, which rattled in the wind making so much noise it was difficult to sleep. Other people in the front rooms were also complaing, one I talian gentleman most vehemently.
This may seem a strange point to raise but I had difficulty sleeping three of the five nights I was there which did spoil my enjoyment of the next day! It was not a gale or storm, just a moderate sea wind.
The Hotel, decor and position is very nice but I would not stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with friends
4  Thank tonytrip
Reviewed 27 November 2007

I read quite a few reviews before going. I thought to myself how could a hotel owner disturb our vacation that much (...as it said in many places they were control freaks etc..).
Well, I have to agree. The owner was very close to ruin our stay, being extremelly rude and unpleasant. Having rules that does not make sense for example about having a drink in the room.

Its a shame, because apart from that the hotel is ok. However next time I go to Amalfi, I will for sure stay closer to town. The hotel is too far off. Its a good deal, but i would put in the extra cash on a hotel closer to town...AND with better staff!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mona76
Reviewed 19 October 2007

It may be harsh to judge a hotel on your first stay, but when you visit a place like this, it is completley justified.
We can completely relate to most of the other reviews enititled things such as 'BEWARE'.
We simply don't believe that the good reviews on here can be genuine.

Although we don't have any real horror stories to tell from our stay, we witnessed some really ridiculous things.
The worst thing that happened to us was that we came down to breakfast about 15 minutes before it finished. There were atleast 3 or 4 free tables that we could have easily just sat at, but you could tell the owner was irritated...We have no idea why...maybe because he was annoyed that he was going to have to crack open another packet of disgusting stale bread? Anyway, he told us to wait on the sofa...pretty much until he wanted us to sit down, as if we were being punished for being late.
The funniest thing we saw was when he tried the same trick with the next couple who came down after us, the guy went mental at him and there was a screaming match.

This place just made us feel so uncomfortable. We hadn't read any reviews before we stayed there but I was pretty sure that somebody had been into our room during the day because things had moved. That is even after the cleaner had been in. My wife thought I was being paranoid but now we aren't so sure.

The 'private beach' advertised on the website is actually not even owned by them...it just means there is a private beach nearby, that is very expensive. Very misleading.

One of the most ridiculous things about it is that there is a rather rude sign on the back of the room doors about not bringing food and drink into the rooms or putting your feet on furniture because you might get 'faeces on it'. When did that ever happen?

The best part of the stay was when we smuggled in a full meal and ate on our balcony and had to keep ducking down because the owner was walking around out on the street. Yes, that's right Mr owner if you are reading this...we stuffed our faces in the room! It was great!

So basically, the moral of the story is if you want to go back to boarding school...stay here!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DarrenLamb
Reviewed 10 October 2007

Tomaso is the owner. He did every thing from yelling to ripping us off to being down right rude. Mind you our family is Italian we live in the US but we speak italian fluently. We had 4 rooms and we were a party of 10 so they made a lot of money from us but they could not have been any more unpleasant. We were there in August for 3 nights some of us and 7 nights the rest of the party. We could not find a new place to stay because all rooms were booked, and the owner would not let us out the room bookings even if we did find another room.

I watched him belittle guests for being late to breakfast. He tried to tell me to hurry up and finish my breakfast but I quickly put him in his place. I had to do that several time during our stay which created an atmophere of stress and anger. Like all the other bad reviews they are pretty accurate about the fights and the attitude that was given to all of the guests. The positive reviews I do not understand perhaps he is a different person at different times but he was not pleasant at all.
Too bad because the hotel is nice but it is not worth the money when the owner is out of control. Also watch your bill, he quotes you one thing and charges another. Bring any emails you have that tell you your quote --he tried to over charge us all. He got a away with it for one of our rooms because that party did not have there confirmation with them.... BE WARE AND TRIED TO NOT STAY HERE FIND ANOTHER ROOM ----AMALFI IS TO BEAUTIFUL TO LET THIS GUY RUING IT FOR YOU.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank tetta
Reviewed 6 October 2007

We had read the other reviews here listing problems with the owner but decided to try it out anyhow.

WARNING: This hotel owner will ruin your stay in Amalfi--not might but WILL.

We checked in and were shown our room with a spacious private terrace. The first night everything was fine, we slept with the air conditioner on and the doors closed (since the hotel sits right on the busy main road).

The second day however, the air conditioning mysteriously would not work. We asked the desk clerk about this, calling him up to our room more than once. He suggested that we flip the fuse for our room, then leave the unit off for 15 minutes and then try it again. Twice this was attempted and twice it didn't work. I had the clerk ask the angry, old owner what the trouble was and he barked, "There is no power in all of Amalfi!" It was explained that Amalfi cuts the power off for air conditioning during peak hours. This however, was a total lie, since in the owner's private rooms I clearly saw (and felt) the AC working. The clerk had taken me in there at first to show me how to use the remote control.

The AC never started working through the rest of the day and night. It was miserably hot in the bedroom so we slept with the doors open which let in the misquitoes which were living in the jasmine on the terrace. We got no sleep at all and finally got out of bed hours later, bitten, itchy and exhausted.

This was not the worst however. My boyfriend was so tired he stayed in the room to try to nap while I went down for breakfast. When I came back to the room my boyfriend was obviously upset. He said that the owner had used his keys to unlock our door, had stormed into our room and started yelling, "What is this mess? Get up! The room has to be cleaned!" My boyfriend was in bed in his underwear!

We were scheduled to stay another night, there was no reason that the room had to be cleaned if we didn't require it.

When I went to the lobby to talk to the owner he started yelling at ME! I was furious, towering over this sad, horrible little man and yelling back. He screamed at me to "get out!" but there was no other free room in the city so we couldn't leave.

I might add that there were other problems:
-guests are not allowed to bring food or drink into their rooms, even though the hotel is quite far from town and there is no restaurant (only a pathetic "bar") in the hotel... this sign is only written in English and obviously targeted at non-Italian visitors
-the street outside is extremely noisy (buses honking all day and night) and the rooms in the back look at a brick wall
-the breakfast is pre-packaged dry toast and the cheapest butter and jam available
-parking is dangerous, directly off the busy street on a blind corner
-Amalfi is a 15-20 minute walk away for healthy, young people but you'd have to take a cab otherwise... after dinner in town it's all uphill on the way "home"

If you want a nice stay, find another hotel. If you want to stay in a prision run by the nouveau Mussolini then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple