“Wonderful stay”

Hotel Bellevue Suites
Ranked #23 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 2 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and totally fall in love with this hotel. The best value for money hotel during my 2 weeks in Italy.

Room: Spacious and clean. The big balcony in front of the bed offers a breathtaking view of the sea. Its so relaxing to enjoy the spectacular view and sea breeze first thing in the morning.

Service: The staffs are helpful. Antonio is very nice. I am one of the gulity unprepared travellers. Whenever I ask him question, he will try his best to assist. He might not be very expressive, may not smile as much but this does not mean that he is unhelpful and not welcoming. I rather have someone that smile to me sincerely than to smile for the sake of smiling. I have no problem with that and find him very Italian, very cool.

Food: You get the same set of breakfast every day. Ham, cheese, biscuit, orange juice (this is super nice too!), coffee, croissant, bread. The portion is generous and the croissant is scrumptous! Its true that they have strict rules on food and drinks. I do not think you need to bring any food or drinks back to the room as good food is everywhere in Italy.

Location: Its about 10-15 mins walk from the bus station in the town area. With luggage, I would recommend you to take a cab to the hotel. Other than that, its a good walk to town.

I will definitely stay in this hotel again and would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 November 2010

Stayed in this hotel 4 nights, 5 days, and had a mixed reaction to this establishment.

Location: The hotel is situated on the far side of the main road, not on the coast line side. You do have a great view, but it is not as dramatic as some of the other hotels on the other side of the street. It's also at LEAST a 20 minute walk to downtown. We are both 30 years old and very active sports players, so we walk at a brisk pace. Don't be fooled by the "10 minute" walks posted elsewhere. Or you can have the owner drive you down, for 6 euros each way...

No food/drink in the rooms. This isn't such a huge issue, unless you want to bring that bottle of water you bought in town with you. You can try to sneak it in, but don't let them catch you!!

I had a distinctly odd feeling that I was staying as a guest in someone's house (not in a good way!), rather than paying to stay in a vacation hotel. Rules posted everywhere, eyes following your every move, and being put in your place at a moments notice. We were told not to talk in the stairwell as there might be sleeping guests. We were not allowed to sit on a table for 4 because we were only 2: in a COMPLETELY EMPTY dinning room. We ate our entire breakfast without seeing another guest. So much for sitting near the window.

Breakfast consists of: 2 slices of salami, 2 slices of proscuito, 2 slices of bread. That's it. Sometimes you get a yogurt. The only thing I do credit to breakfast is the great juice or coffee.

The hotel is clean, and our room was cleaned each day perfectly. The bathroom had an odd smell, as mentioned in other posts, and I believe it might be due to the water being from a well?? It's a strange musky-mossy smell. Internet is 2 euro per hour, and they wont bring up the cable if you need one. He actually said they would prefer us to use the internet downstairs on wifi then in our room.

We payed 70 euro per night off season. If your budget allows it, stay elsewhere. Hotel Miramalfi is closer to downtown, right on the seaside cliffs, has a pool, free internet, free shuttle, and isn't that much more expensive than Bellevue.

Our advice: only stay here if you cannot afford elsewhere, and you get a great deal.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Stugactz
Reviewed 15 October 2010

Clean hotel but the manager will raise your blood pressure which is not good while on vacation. No food or drinks in your room, no internet in the dining room, no buffet breakfast which means one coffee, one orange juice, one yogurt and so forth. Wifi will cost you. The thing is, the owner feels like you owe him big time even though you're paying with your hard earned money. A lot of other choices in Amalfi that will make you feel more welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jeafort
Reviewed 13 October 2010

On arrival for my first trip to the Amalfi Coast, I was delighted to see my accommodations at Hotel Bellevue Suites. Not only did Thomas and the entire staff welcome me with open arms, but the charming lobby welcomes you as well. My room was beautiful and always maticulously clean, but the terrace took my breath away and I had a hard time leaving it to go on all of my sightseeing jaunts. They served my breakfast on the terrace any time I wanted. How they spoiled me! It is so beautiful and would be so romantic for couples. I traveled alone and loved the relaxing atmosphere. An important fact for me was the safe feeling at the hotel, and the personal attention given to me by all. The views from my terrace were breathtaking, overlooking the sea and Amalfi center. Anything you needed was always a simple task for them. They even arranged my ride to the Naples airport when I had to leave. This would be the only place for me in Amalfi. I absolutely loved it. Thanks to this hotel and all of their personal attention, my solo trip was amazing.
Jan Stevenson

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank summerdog
Reviewed 10 October 2010

A great hotel! Well run, clean & fresh rooms, great sea views (main coast road unavoidably noisy sometimes - a warning to those who need silence to sleep). We were very well looked after by the owners (father & son) who were helpful, welcoming & obligingly kind. Great value for money. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2010

We really liked the hotel. It was clean, spacious and everything worked as it should. The balconies and roof terrace had amazing views. The staff were really friendly once you got to know them and offered lots of great tips about the area. They may seem fussy to begin with but they just want the hotel to stay in the condition which it is (which is great) and are very accommodating.
It was a nice walk down to Amalfi (15-20 minutes) - obviously, be careful of the cars. You could easily get a taxi but we preferred to walk.
Breakfast was standard continental breakfast with quite a lot of food served - really good juice!
They organised airport transfers for us which took all the hassle out of travelling from Naples.
If you want a clean, friendly hotel at a reasonable price with no unnecessary frippery then this is just the place. We loved it and will be back.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jfsally
Reviewed 21 August 2010

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor I ignored the bad reviews and still went ahead and booked 3 nights at the bullevue hotel. I made the biggest mistake!
I booked the hotel through expedia and on their website the hotel looked close to town and on the beach but unfortunately there were few pictures that were misleading as the hotel was on a main busy road and at least 10 minute away from the beach.
I hated my stay at the bellevue. When I initially booked through expedia there wasn't any sea view rooms available on the website therefore I called expedia and requested for a sea view room. I was told that they will request it but we may have to pay extra which I didn't mind. When we arrived to the the hotel we were approached by an old man (Antonia) and his son. Antonia said there wasn't any sea view room available but tomorrow they will see and showed us to our room. The welcome wasn't very friendly and we weren't shown or given any information about the hotel. We had to ask questions and even then didn't get much information about the place. Our room was standard and very dark and the only view we saw was some kind of extractor that went on all the time and was also quite loud. On the foyer there was also a nasty smell which made me almost throw up. The bed wasn't comfortable to sleep in and we had two single beds joined together to make a double bed.
In the evening we sat around the hall and tried to make small talk with Antonia and asked how long he had the hotel for, he lied and said he wasn't the owner and just a staff. The next day when we requested to have our room changed the son wasn't too happy although they did say they were going to try. He had a go at us and said we got what we paid for, if we didn't pay for a sea view room then how can he give us one. Although we tried to explain what the situation was he blamed it on expedia and we even said we will pay for the extra room if thats the case. He kept us waiting for half hour then Antonia came to tell us that there was no sea room available. I requested for any other room with some kind of view but he wasn't going to change it and told me that I'm welcome to leave and stay in a 5 star hotel down the road. I was annoyed and was willing to leave and requested to have a refund but it would mean I would loose 30%. My husband didn't want to go through the hassle of looking for a another hotel and didn't want us to ruin our break. At the end we had no choice but to stay.
Breakfast was boring and the same every day. He even made a couple get up because they sat on a table of four. Once he shouted at a couple who took drinks to their room. You also have to pay 12 euros for the beach and 2 euros for a towel. I hated my stay in bellevue and would have payed the extra money to stay anywhere else if I was able to.
I would not recommend this hotel and please don't ruin your holiday by staying there no matter how cheap the rooms are. Antonia even said that they are not a 5 star but a 3 star, but it wouldn't hurt for him to be friendly toward his guest and make them feel welcome.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple