“We barely left the hotel, we loved it so much.”

Santa Caterina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed 10 January 2011

We spent the first part of our honeymoon at this hotel and we loved it. Everyone was so warm. Free internet. DVD players in the room, and lots of outlets. Room upgrade because we were on our honeymoon. Amazing food and service. We could not have asked for more.

THE ROOM
The room was enormous, with its own private terrace. It was a great room for having room service because there was so much space and the light and view was wonderful. The whole room was covered with tile, which gave a light summery feeling. There were hand painted accents everywhere, including custom sculpted flowers growing out of the bathroom tiles, it was so memorable and different. The bed was king size and comfortable. The tub could seat two, filled quickly, and had lots of bubble jets.

THE DINING ROOM
Pino, the dining room manager and everyone on staff greeted us with such kindness. Sometimes an extra item was thrown in. Once we got complimentary caprese salads, another time one of us ordered soup but they brought out enough for two. We loved the food so much we hardly left, or when we'd go out we'd come home for meals. Pino was concerned that we might be getting bored of the menu and he offered to make anything we wished for -- my husband doesn't eat fish which represents 85% of all Sicily menus. We ordered a simple pasta with olive oil and garlic -- Pino suggested a dish called Spaghetti L'Antiqua, which is now a staple in my repetoire at home (olive oil, garlic, flat leaf parsely, bread crumbs, red pepper flakes, and a couple crushed cherry tomatoes). Whether in the dining room or our living room, everything was delicious and perfectly prepared.

The dining room views and the view from our room were stunning by the way.

Make sure to get a drink at the bar. There is a charmingly lit seating area and with our simple drinks we were brought an array of lovely snacks that tided us over until dinner.

The service was just so good. On a day where we barely left the room, the housekeeping staff came and made up the room during the hour or so we were out for dinner. They anticipated what you needed and gave you more -- that is the true meaning of hospitality.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank travelita
There are newer reviews for Santa Caterina Hotel

Reviewed 2 December 2010

from the day we arrived to departure it was a perfect vacation. the staff is outstanding, the views are breathtaking and the location was ideal. i would definately go back again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2010

The first thing l loved about the hotel was the valet parking service. After two hours on mountain roads the width of a matchstick, I was panicked about where we would park the car once we got to the hotel. No problem. As soon as we pulled up, the valet service took over and we were free to check in. Do not underestimate this feature if you are travelling to Amalfi.
The room was spectacular. Clean, large, with great furniture and the views were breathtaking. You cannot take a bad picture. The pool was great, but be warned, it's FREEZING. It's actual sea water pumped in twice a day, so no heat but also no chlorine which is great. The pool area views and chairs are incredible and the service top notch.
My only complaint was our room was situated underneath the main lobby which meant we got a fair bit of noise at night until midnight. My recommendation would be to book a room in one of the towers to avoid the noise.
Location was perfect within walking distance to the town.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AverageGuy01
Reviewed 27 October 2010

This July me and my husband took a trip in Italy, started very nicely in Sicily. I checked on the internet and I decided that Santa Caterina Amalfi Hotel look like the right place to stop for 3 nights: luxury, with beach and nice services. I have booked on the internet the room and ask my assistant to keep the contact at the front desk in order to receive what we have booked – a front sea view room, INSIDE THE HOTEL, main building. At the day of check-in, we arrive late, around 10pm and let know the peoples from the front desk that we will arrive late (many phone calls) starting with the morning, in order to don’t have any surprise. At the check in, an old guy with a “fake” face take our documents and assured us that we get the room we booked. He took an elevator and went with us underground, then out of the hotel. We asked again about our request to stay into the main building, because of some health issues, which not allowed us to walk long distances many times on a day. He assured us that was very close and kept walking… then entered, after a long ride, in a kind of service aria (look like!!!) and start going down, to the underground, on some very small stairs. We asked him to stop, explaining that we cannot agree to stay there, after our precise request. But he said that he doesn’t have any room left that was the only one, in one of the villas. We asked to stay for the first night in any type of room, with any view, and next day to solve the matter. The guy said that they have no availability, so it is a take’ it or live’ it situation. I don’t know if you experienced that kind of speech, polite but contemptuously, that kind of approach “too professional” and full of disgust, like “let’s teach you about the what you can get” on your money!!!! Our trip was killed instantly, we choose to go, not to stay, and we left and went to another five stars hotel for the night. The most disgusting thing is that we have discussed with the guy about not charging to us any money and he guaranteed that it is no problem, BUT AFTER FEW MONTHS, CHECKING MY CREDIT CARD STATEMENT, THEY CHARGED ONE NIGHT!! I asked myself if It was a problem of misunderstanding, or is how they are treating the guests, actually thieving them!!! I wrote to the hotel about this issue and the General Manager apologized after understanding correctly the problem and we get a settlement. So, solved after all, but the bad experience and the bitter taste can't be wiped out... Hopefully, others will be luckier... Or it was a missunderstanding, after all, who knows...

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
17  Thank review2009Europe
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My husband and I just returned from two weeks in Capri/Amalfi/Sicily. Ourk three night stay on the Amalfi Coast was Santa Caterina. It was our only disappointment on the trip. The hotel is beautiful - public areas, dining room, beach; however, that did not make up for the room were were "assigned" ! I had book online using their website. A superior double with full sea view. It was not the bottom room catagorey but not a suite. We were told at check in that we had been "upgraded" to a garden room with jazzuzi! I said no, not garden view, sea view. He said yes, sea view. We rode to the bottom level and out a door through grass, stone and dampness up "fire escape type" stairs to our upgrade!! Mostliy garden view with the sea in the background. I prostested that this was not what we booked or expected and was told that was all that was available. Thirty minutes later when I was showering to cool off!! He reappeared and took mly husband to see another room,. My husband declined that room telling me that it had been dark, beside the road and noisy but with a better view. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. We went on the stay in fabulous Leading Hotels of the World hotels in Sicily that help sooth the Amalfi experience. Charlotte NC

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
9  Thank mjm1534
Reviewed 14 October 2010

Very close to Amalfi town, the pool area is very nice, very good service, great view. Hip factor 70%. This hotel is not a boutique. The furniture in the room and all over the hotel is a little bit old. On Amalfi we recomend Eolo restaurant.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 October 2010

The hotel was really nice, but a little too formal for my taste and definitely too pricey for what you get (especially in the restaurant). I prefer high quality lodging, food, and service in a relaxed setting. The location was great, the pool and man-made beach/jetty were really nice and exactly as we expected. The elevator through the rocks down to the sea was amazing, but the topography is such that you don't have sun after 3 or 3:30 pm. We didn't want to sunbathe much, but the beach loses its allure when people start to leave, you need a towel to cover up because it was a little cool, and you can't really go swimming since there's no sun to dry off in afterwards. The powerboats pulling up for hotel guests to go on private boat excursions was also a real turnoff because of the noise and gasoline pollution. The large number of American guests, particularly from NY and NJ was a bit off-putting and I am from NJ -- I just don't want to travel 4,000 miles to feel like I'm on the Jersey shore. It was also annoying to be in Italy at a hotel where I had to twist the staff's arms to speak Italian -- English, English, all the time. The pool staff were great (very friendly, no problems getting extra towels, etc), but they were more like waiters than lifeguards (not the experience we have had in Liguria and made me less confident in their abilities should the need arise). The water was also very deep and pretty rough, but enjoyable (except watch out for jelly fish). The pool was heated, has two depths and a nice ledge to sit on by the rocks. The hotel has a nice gym and very nice manicured grounds/gardens. The restaurant by the pool for lunch and upstairs for dinner was pretty good, but super expensive -- 30 eu for a chicken breast or 38 eu for a grilled fish fillet, not even the whole fish, is about double what you would pay at a good local restaurant. The grilled vegetables were very tasty so we pretty much enjoyed those everyday. The pizza wasn't good to me -- I saw good reviews, but I don't know why because the crust has no flavor, which seems to be typical of the region. It's also ridiculous at 19 eu, when I got the same pizza in town for 5 eu.

Now to the real positives: Room was lovely with a huge balcony (we booked a garden view and got lucky with Rm. 23 on the 1st floor, which is really the 2nd floor). The bathroom was nice, although I would have chosen different tile and tub -- the bedroom has amazing acqua colored tile, but the bathroom wall has a tired dark yellow tile that just looks out of place. Breakfast was really good, including roasted vegetables so I had roasted vegetable scrambled eggs every day (super tasty, don't knock it until you've tried it, the fennel was especially yummy). They also have fresh-squeezed oj, though they don't tell you about that, you have to ask persistently, and I didn't realize it until the 2nd to last day). I think there are too many sweets, but one of the sweet challah-type breads was addictive. The bellinis at the bar and fruit smoothies were lovely at the pool , but at 18 eu each, they kind of hurt a little. The local green olives are amazing.

The one thing that bothered me was that the Santa Caterina doesn't automatically offer dishes that have high quality, expensive ingredients, but they will do so if you ask. For instance, the chicken breast entree came with horrible tater-tots instead of some higher quality, unfried side. We requested a vegetable and a whole plate of broccoli rabe came out, but why don't they just do that from the start? Why should you have to ask for that when you're paying 30 eu for the entree? It seems to me that the hotel cuts corners, and for 460 eu a night, that just shouldn't be the case. Additionally, the hotel allowed a large, American tour to have lunch at the hotel one afternoon and they were a raucous, drunk group that was gawking down at us on the beach and was really tacky. I know the restaurant isn't private, but they should not allow tour groups to come through just to earn an extra buck. It really degraded the 5-star nature of the hotel and hotel management's reaction was "We couldn't say no," which is laughable and ridiculous. The hotel's internet connection is also super slow -- 4 lines for 66 rooms and 5 hotel front desk staff is insufficient, the one public computer was ridiculously slow and there was often a bit of a line. We took a private car to Pompeii and two and from the airport. We had one nice driver out of three -- Pepe. One other complaint is that although the hotel was super clean, the restrooms by the pool and gym were not maintained/cleaned enough so that was frustrating.

Amalfi itself is cute, but super touristy (especially if a cruise is in town) and really tiny -- 15 min and you've seen the whole thing. The ferry to Positano and the bus to Ravello were really great -- Ravello is so refreshing, the air is like you're in the Alps. All in all we are happy we went to the Amalfi coast and we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else (Santa Caterina is the only hotel I found with a pool, beach, and elevator to the beach), but we weren't completely satisfied.

Da Ciccio was a great neighborhood restaurant with amazing spaghetti with clams, olives, and tomatoes in parchment paper. Franco told us about them and they came and picked us up for dinner -- seems to be a thing in Amalfi. We also ate at La Campanina, about 15 min up the mountain in Pogerola, the owner picked us up as well. The food there was good, but Da Ciccio was better and closer, although somewhat more expensive (dinner for two, salads, pasta, whole fish with 1/2 bottle of local wine for about 80 eu).

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank DCHighExpectatTravel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
#7 of 29 in Amalfi
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#6 of 38 in Positano

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!