“lovely!!!!!”

Ranked #20 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Gaeta, Lazio, Italy
“lovely!!!!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Clean rooms, perfect location ,easy to find all you need ( bus station,ferries ,restaurants,beaches....) breakfast excellent ! And than the staff......so friendly,kind and always available to solve all your problems!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Anna B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Would go back to Amalfi any day. Beautiful town and La Bussola is in the perfect location. It has its own private beach for guests. Food was good, but have had better (eg. NH La Spezia). Preferred Amalfi to Cinque Terra.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Let's start with the positives. This was our return trip to Amalfi and a second stay at La Bussola Hotel. We stayed there with some of our Italian family members 12 years ago. I must stay it is still a solid hotel. Clean rooms and great location. The breakfast was very good, fresh, clean and organized--and the staff in the breakfast room could not have been more friendly and accommodating. This time around (July 7-9) my husband and I stayed in one room, while my teenage children and 19 year-old niece had the adjoining room. On the night of July 8th my husband and I returned to the hotel after meeting some friends at a nearby cafe and we found that the front door was locked. We knocked on the door and no one came to answer the door!!
The doorway was dark and we did not see the bell; but regardless, there should be someone at the front desk at all times. I have never heard of a major hotel, no matter what city in the world, would have a locked door after midnight, and no one responding. We knocked and walked around the perimeter of the hotel for about 30-45 minutes. All the while trespassing around the back property of the hotel room and totally going unnoticed by hotel staff who should be protecting the hotel guests. But of course no one was at the front desk looking at the cameras and monitoring what was going on around the hotel property. We then decided to walk over to the nearby hotel (Hotel Aurora) where my sister and brother-in law were staying (Which by the way had an actual person at the front desk and an open door). Luckily we found a waiter, Luigi, from La Smeraldina ristorante, where we had dinner the night before, and he was able to ask a friend of a friend to get in touch with the night watchman at La Bussola. Almost 2 hours later we were able to re-enter the hotel lobby and get some sleep during what was left of the night. The watchman excused himself and said that he was in the bathroom with an upset stomach. I must say the truth, he looked like he woke up from a nice long nap. When we spoke to the manager, a very nasty man, the next day, he plainly said that the watchman told him that he was in the bathroom for a few minutes. When I told the "manager" that this was not true and that we had been locked out for over an hour and no one was tending the front desk, which was visible empty from our view of the glass doors, he replied that it was basically our word against his employee. He basically took the employees words over ours. This manager would not give me the courtesy of eye contact. I insisted and wanted some sort of discount from the bill, and this horrible "manager" gave me 10% off the bill!!! And he would not budge and he was very unapologetic. I'm sorry to say that the Hotel La Bussola is in a great location, the housekeeping is wonderful, the breakfast staff is fantastic, but yet it is run by people with ZERO people skills. If you are in Salerno and you are thinking about staying in Amalfi . . .Do ourself a favor and stay away from Hotel La Bussola!!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank PMignone
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights in July. Hotel was easy to find (the SITA bus stops around 50 metres from the hotel). Located in the harbour area very close to beaches (literally on the other side of the road). Room was basic but clean and comfy. Breakfast was basic too but enough to fill you up.

My only minor grumble(s) was that the hotel came with wifi but this didn't work (only needed it to tell family we arrived safely) and that opposite the hotel there is a little jetty for sunbathing on that was for hotel use only but were never told.

Town centre itself can be seen within 2 days with some nice restaurants and great ice cream places. It is expensive though compared to other European cities.

From Amalfi town you can get a bus to Positano for the day (very beautiful) but take travel sickness meds if you get motion sickness as the roads are mostly hairpin bends (we saw at least one guy visit everywhere which nearly triggered a game of vomiting dominoes with lots of people heaving!!).

Overall a nice place to be in the sun. Not sure I'd go back as I've been there and done it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I'm really surprised by some of the negative reviews for this hotel. I thought it was a great hotel. The location was perfect. It was very close to the bus stop and less than a 5 minute walk to the main part of town. It's right on the water, and we had a very nice view of the sea from our balcony. My husband and I enjoyed sitting on the balcony with a glass of wine and watching the sunset. There is also a dock down by the water for sunbathing which was only for hotel guests and always had extra lounge chairs available. We didn't eat any meals at the hotel, so I can't speak to the food there, but there are lots of great restaurants to choose from in town just a few minutes away. I would stay there again if I return to Amalfi.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms are very nice, and they have a balcony that you can sit on to relax and enjoy the...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Location is the must of this hotel.
Situated at the "beach" and the road connecting to all other Amalfi Coast villages. Bus, boat, taxi-van transportation are available.
Car parking is available, but for those who want to enjoy the Amalfi Coast definitely recommend to use public transportation.
Hotel has an antique Bussola at the reception, since they consider it was invented by an Amalfian. The services are good and the restaurant bas a very good breakfast.

• Stayed June 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed in this charming hotel for two nights in July 2014. The hotel is an oasis in the midst of a very busy tourist hub and perfectly located. I was offered a sea facing room with no air conditioner instead of the room I had booked which had a partial view with air on. A fan was provided without asking.
The Maître D, bar and dining room staff were most helpful and considerate. The rooms are perfectly adequate and the bathrooms spotlessly clean. What more could one ask for?
The location is right on the harbour and with the enchanting view you get noise at night. Easily solved if one is a light sleeper by using the earplugs supplied by the airlines!
Highlight of a wonderful trip to Italy.

Stayed July 2014