Hotel la Bussola
US$145
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsamalfi coastperfect locationtown centrethe bushotel guestsstayed nightslovely hoteltravel agentbeautiful viewhalf boardoverlooking the seabreakfast and dinnercroissantsprivate beachharbourbalconyferries
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 December 2009

We arrived in Amalfi in early December and, with many of the hotels closed, asked the tourist office for recommendations. They suggested the Luna Convente and La Bussola. Luna Convente was eerily quiet and being refurbed. So went for La Bussola and did not regret it.

We had a beautiful room with lovely sea views. I think it had just been redecorated and had a large bathroom with jacuzzi bath. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was adequate. The restaurant and bar were open on a couple of the nights we were there but we never saw anyone use them.

As to going to Amalfi Coast in Decemeber - we loved it = no crowds and easy to get around and park. Even the weather was good - shirt sleeves for us Brits - sweaters for the locals.

Amalfi was quiet but very romantic with the square in front of the Duomo looking charming with its Christmas decorations. Many of the restaurants were closed but we ate twice at da Gemma near the Duomo - wonderful food and fantastic ambiance.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 December 2009

My wife and I have just spent a week in this hotel and enjoyed an excellent holiday, that was made the better due to the first class organisation and running of the hotel and its facilities. Upon transfer from Naples airport the hotel had a vehicle awaiting us at the bus station in Amalfi and our luggage was unloaded and conveyed to the hotel. We were booked in quickly and given our room keys, and invited to join the holiday group in the lounge at six in the evening for a welcome cocktail.
The room was not on a grand style, but contained all that was needed for a short stay, beds were comfortable and in the chilly evenings the heating came on to keep the rooms at a comfortable temperature, the en suite could have been a little larger, but it fulfilled all our requirements, was clean, and maintained to the same high standard for the period of our stay with clean towels being exchanged on demand and hot water always being readily available.
We took the half board option and the menu which was changed each evening offered a three course meal with three choices of starter, three choices for main course and two courses for desert, in seven days I never had a meal that I did not thoroughly enjoy, and the service afforded by the head waiter and his staff was absolutely first class.
Each morning a buffet breakfast was available and the choices again were excellent, with cereals, various jams, pates, cheese and ham on offer each morning together with fresh bread, croissants, yoghurts, fresh fruit, fruit juices and choices of coffee or tea offered at the table.
The small bar was staffed by a very helpful barman who was both friendly and efficient at his task of providing whatever refreshment was asked for.

My general view is that the hotel is well run, clean, comfortable and functional and is an excellent base from which to explore the area. The staff during my stay provided a friendly and relaxed atmosphere that made our holiday very special.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2009

La Bussola is located in a great spot away from the noisier part of Amalfi but still in close walking distance to the centre of town.Our large balcony was brilliant with breathtaking 180` views of the coast and of any cruise ship/boat in the bay.Our room was spacious and large bed v.comfy and nice sheets. Nice fridge,a/con,3 English speaking TV channels,and lift and nice rooftop terrace.
Breakfast was very ordinary with small selection,no cooked, and (hard to believe in Italy) bad coffee that barely resembled coffee! Tiny little shower with dribbly shower head, harsh ,thin towels and couple of gruff reception staff.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2009

After hearing fabulous reports about the Amalfi coastline I was lucky enough to find this brilliant hotel right on the water's edge (with no single supplement charged!).

I enjoyed the holiday so much that I have booked again for September 2010 & I can't wait to return.

La Bussola's staff were friendly, helpful and I can't fault the service at all. Being a vegetarian I was expecting unending supply of pizza but the maitre d' and his team ensured I had a wonderful variety of food during my stay - nothing was too much trouble. I was also introduced to the delights of Limoncello by the attentive waiting staff!

The situation of the hotel was great but as I went slightly before the season opened in April some transportation was unavailable - still wouldn't stop me going at this time of year again though.

I found the town of Amalfi pretty and the townsfolk are friendly and welcoming. As a single traveller I felt very safe and have no problem recommeding the hotel and area to similar travellers.

Thank you to all the La Bussola staff for making my holiday so enjoyable.
Elaine Charity

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Elaine853
Reviewed 6 October 2009

before we went we read all the reviews. Our judgement is that the hotel is in a great location - yes it can be a little "buzzy" outside at night but our sleep was not disturbed much if at all. All the staff were good - particularly the very nice bloke in the bar who was very attentive (we were VERY good customers of his!). Yes the rooms needed a bit of a freshening, but that certainly did not detract. The lighting was far too bright immediately adjacent to the bar, but half the available seating area was much better (for us) and it was never crowded. Our only criticism was the food. It was not quite what we expected from a 3* Italian hotel - have been to Italy quite a few times and this was our second visit of 2009. The service was astonishingly rapid, and there was too much food for the second course!! (what a complaint!). There was not as much use of fresh herbs as we might have expected and the chef was obviously not a user of much salt or other seasoning. Having said that, the food was most certainly OK; just too much and a bit bland. Would we go back? Probably not. We prefer Limone on Lake Garda for repeats. Would we recommend to friends - yes, but I would definitely say go for the B & B option and eat in the town (which is great!!). Take a big purse as prices on the Amalfi coast are not for bargain hunters but there are cheaper vino options than we were choosing!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple